Goofy Footer

2012+ WR450 Impressions

crap i was thinking along WR lines.....

Jon.....you really need to consider a YZ450FX......its offroad ride/race tuned. and it has a push button start mechanism. the thing is OEM engineered for what we do at our level. 

But the best source if you can coax info for YZF tuning would probably be Randy Hawkins' Team AM-Pro Yamaha for in depth tuning info for your YZF

I would come right out and ask/email Randy for YZF450 maps that would help your hot start issue (needs to go to lean).

http://www.amproyamaha.com/moto/

I would even say to hit up Whibs, he (or his mech/tech)may have some maps for you, he's a long term top tier Yamaha guy.

http://www.paulwhibley.co.nz/news.php

No worries Rob. I did post my problems in a WR thread.

I would love a new YZ450FX, it is what I was going to build my YZ into. The problem is I've put about 40 hours on my bike in the last 2 years and an upgrade at this time is just not feasible. If/when I start riding more, then I'll look into a new bike. Until then I'm sticking with what I have and what I know. With all the threads on ThumperTalk regarding the WRs hot start issues I'm convinced the YZ could be fixed with the same adjustments.

For the riding we do, I'm OK with the close ratio trans. It is an issue of clutch life in the really nasty, tech, trails, but makes gear selection less critical as the gaps are closer together. I've adjusted my style (go faster in first gear) and can deal with it. I don't ride desert so the limited high gear doesn't bother me. I just cruise the dirt roads at 40ish and enjoy the sights, sounds, and peace of the transfer section. 

I checked that TT thread from GoofyFooter's post and there was a FI tool posted for sale at the end. I sent an email to see if it's still available.

There are many new Yamaha's in the D-38 scene. Allmost everyone is having the same issues, and the couple guys I talked to who aren't having issues aren't very willing to talk about it. Competitive edge I guess.

WR450 and YZ450X's both.

I asked at the last race I did. A rider on a 2012 YZ. I watched him pop his bike over like it was nothing at the start of a stage. I struggled. He too was not sharing any information. 

On 1/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, Ken S said:

There are many new Yamaha's in the D-38 scene. Allmost everyone is having the same issues, and the couple guys I talked to who aren't having issues aren't very willing to talk about it. Competitive edge I guess.

WR450 and YZ450X's both.

I have two tuners available from ThumperTalk. One with the TPS harness and one without. $150 and $140 respectively both include shipping costs. I'm leaning toward the $150 one so we can check the TPS with the tune.  

1 hour ago, PastaPilot said:

I have two tuners available from ThumperTalk. One with the TPS harness and one without. $150 and $140 respectively both include shipping costs. I'm leaning toward the $150 one so we can check the TPS with the tune.  

For $10 more that seems worth it. 

Get it and figure out how to use it. I'll go halves on it 

No rush. I'm hurt and out of the game for awhile. 

Sciatica. Pinched nerve in my hip. 

Cased it hard a few months ago and I'm paying for badly now. 

I've got the EFI diagnostic tool and GYTR Power Tuner. I'm ready to tune a WR and any Yamaha with a battery powered electrical system. Unfortunately the YZs require a special harness for the diagnostic tool but my Power Tuner is ready to go. 

Ken, if you're ready I could meet you at a local riding spot and we can play with a few settings to fix your current state of tune.