Goofy Footer

2012+ WR450 Impressions

I know we have a new 2012+ WR450 in the club. I'd love to hear your impressions on the moto!

How has it been dualsporting? How is it on the trail? How is it on the blacktop? Have you had any hiccups with the FI? Any complaints? Any thoughts on installing a Cush Drive Hub?

Since Yamaha put a 6th gear in their 4 valve WR250F, might this mean that some time soon they will change the 450 to a 4 valve and possibly install a 6th gear on the WR?? bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

091611top-i.jpg

post-14322-0-26498700-1416507443_thumb.j

post-14322-0-96125000-1416507457.jpg

It's amazing. The stock 13/50 sprockets make it a little wound out on the highway (tho I've gotten up to 80+ GPS indicated) but make it a monster in dirt. No issues at all with the FI tho the GYTR competition ECU and throttle screw are pretty much mandatory (the stock tune is designed to get a green sticker not make power). I'm at best an intermediate rider but the bike has upped my abilities considerably, I dialed in the suspension @ 212land and since have been attacking every hill, descent or jump I can point the bike at. If we're ever in the same place you're more than welcome to take mine out for a spin.

Bullet proof machines, will go mega miles with minimal required maintenance. Mega high quality possibilities to create the WRs into what ever you want them to be, from a full on AM-Pro Yamaha racers to a nice DS trail bike. Bullet proof bike, always a good choice. You cant really go wrong with a Yamaha WR or now X version family of bikes.

In 2012 Gary Sutherlin piloted basically a box stock WR450 to 3rd OA at the Tecate Hare Scrambles behind Ivan Ramirez and Bobby Garrison. That's some fast company and top tier race built machinery to go up against with a basically stock bike.

http://www.losancianos.com/2012Podium.jpg

Hey Winty, is your WR odometer a true odometer/hour meter or can it be reset like a trip odometer?

On my older WR it is resetable which is a bummer because I don't know how many hours were on the bike before I got it used. A 6speed WR450 would be bomber but who knows when that will come (fingers crossed).

I'd love to hop on yours for a second - you or Lady Winty can ride my WR250f.

I'd really be interested in a comparison between this and the new 6spd 4 valve WR250F!!

Also, thanks for the info on the ECU. I'd much prefer to keep the stock exhaust even if it is somewhat restrictive as I love a quiet bike. Any 450 will have more than enough power to haul my butt around.

2012-WR450F-trail-ride.gif

2013-yamaha-wr450f-8_1600x0w.jpg

The gauge cluster is just a pair of trip odometers, but you can pull actual hours from the ECU with the GYTR tuner. I'll be out at Butterfield next weekend, then headed on up to Death Valley for the New Year. Might actually toss my dirt wheels and tires back on the DRZ since it's got better range.

Don't know about the 2012, but you know my feelings about the 06 I had...amazing dirt weapon...mediocre dual sport

The gauge cluster is just a pair of trip odometers, but you can pull actual hours from the ECU with the GYTR tuner. I'll be out at Butterfield next weekend, then headed on up to Death Valley for the New Year. Might actually toss my dirt wheels and tires back on the DRZ since it's got better range.

Good to know about the ECU / hour record. Are you going to DV the weekend after NYE? If I may ask where are you camping? If you haven't been, you'll really like it - PM me about tracks/ride loop ideas, I really like it up there. I've actually thought about doing a loop from SD to DV. Gas range is primo

Don't know about the 2012, but you know my feelings about the 06 I had...amazing dirt weapon...mediocre dual sport

Pfft!! mediocre orangutan rider!

even rally fans like em!

22f63941f21a52deee5a9e8f0a953612.jpg

Headed to DV on the 31st, taking the trailer up to Panamint Springs Resort. Is love to pick your brain about tracks!

Headed to DV on the 31st, taking the trailer up to Panamint Springs Resort. Is love to pick your brain about tracks!

PSR is the best place to stage from IMHO. If I make it tomo let's talk!

I'm really interested in a comparison of the upcoming 2015 WR250F vs the 2012+ WR450F. The 2015 WR450 Dakar Rally Bike has a 6speed (like the 2015 wr250f)!

102214-2015-yamaha-wr450f-rally-06.jpg

For those who have owned WR450s before, can you compare the steel frame 03-06, the aluminum frame 07-11 and the new fuel injected 2012+ bikes?

-- 03-06 steel frame bikes are the least expensive to buy used and have the most options for aftermarket tanks including two different 6+ gallon options. It is very hard to find frame guards to protect the blue paint.

post-14322-0-51662000-1421189727.jpg

-- I believe the 07-11 aluminum frames had an more powerful oil pump, extra piston-oil jet, strengthened gears and better counterbalancer?

post-14322-0-48119300-1421189961.jpg

-- The 2012+ has the slightly smaller yz250f frame and of course EFI. They come DC powered with a 160 watt stator which would be nice as I like to run lots of lights.

post-14322-0-77302000-1421190528_thumb.j

In your opinion, what else are the differences? I've read about the 03-06 bikes having issues wearing down the shift forks / dogs in 5th gear on high mileage bikes. I haven't read of those issues in the 07-11 bikes. Is this a concern or an overblown internet fear?

post-14322-0-21117800-1421190707.jpg

The 2012+ bikes are a big jump in price but they have the SSS forks and EFI. I think (hope) the 2016 WR might include the 6speed so I'm partially hesitant to pay premium for a 2012+.

Does anybody have the stock exhaust baffle for one of these bikes? I really like quiet bikes and would prefer to run the WR450 with baffle in - it will have more than enough power to pull me around. I want the quietest bike possible.

post-14322-0-81263000-1421190753.jpg

Hey Winty, a few more questions for you:

1. What kind of MPG are you getting while dualsporting?

2. What radiator guards are you running?

3. Which tank are you running?

4. How do you know if you have the GYTR "comp" ecu vs stock one? ~$99

5. Do you personally own the GYTR turner (which allows custom mapping)? Is it worth purchasing? ~$220-270

6. Have you read anything about the Yamaha FI Diagnostics tool which can measure CO reading and what not? ~$85

7. You can set the idle with the psuedo "choke" button right?

8. Are you running an upgraded battery or the stock one?

I know, lots of questions buutttt I kind of really could use some info.... DramaLlama.gif

in the meanwhile, here is Yamaha's marketing department at work!

2012+ WR450F

2007-2011 WR450F

I believe the stock ECU is 1DX2 while the GYTR Competition ECU is 1DX7

yam_12_gyt_com_kit.jpg

This is the GYTR tuner which allows for custom mapping (or just add in the mapping numbers from a pre-established setup)

yam_12_gyt_pow_tun_com_kit-1376670001.jp

GYTR throttle screw

post-412951-0-03690200-1410255985.jpg

post-403078-0-11684500-1410262668.jpg

Yamaha FI Diagnostics Tool

post-14322-0-69950500-1422241200_thumb.j

I'm seeing around 38mpg dualsporting, less if I'm doing lots of deep sand.

I've got Unabiker guards on the bike that replaced the Works Connection braces it came with. Those are just taking up space in my garage.

I've got the IMS 3 gallon tank.

Does it put a smile on your face? Then it has the competition ECU. In bone stock trim I think they dyno at something ridiculously low.

I've got the tuner and am currently running Yamaha's sand map. It's certainly worth putting a tune on the bike, whether or not the tuner is worth it depends on how often you think you'll be changing things up. Stock competition map has a pretty abrupt power hit down low. If you get one you're welcome to borrow the tuner to play around with it.

I've read about the diagnostic tool on the forums but haven't played around with one.

Yes, it's probably electronic but works just like an idle screw.

I'm running the stock battery but have been considering replacing it with a Moty or something similar.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

If you get one you're welcome to borrow the tuner to play around with it.

Careful what you wish for :)

I'm seeing around 38mpg dualsporting, less if I'm doing lots of deep sand.

I've got Unabiker guards on the bike that replaced the Works Connection braces it came with. Those are just taking up space in my garage.

I've got the IMS 3 gallon tank.

Does it put a smile on your face? Then it has the competition ECU. In bone stock trim I think they dyno at something ridiculously low.

I've got the tuner and am currently running Yamaha's sand map. It's certainly worth putting a tune on the bike, whether or not the tuner is worth it depends on how often you think you'll be changing things up. Stock competition map has a pretty abrupt power hit down low. If you get one you're welcome to borrow the tuner to play around with it.

I've read about the diagnostic tool on the forums but haven't played around with one.

Yes, it's probably electronic but works just like an idle screw.

I'm running the stock battery but have been considering replacing it with a Moty or something similar.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks for the reply Winty!

The Unabiker guards look like the most protective guards on the market. I'm glad to hear there is no issues with clearance and the oversize tank. Have you seen the new? Clarke 4.0 gallon gas tank? $229 is a lot less than the Safari 4.1 for $475

clarkenewwrf450.jpg

How is the hit off the bottom with the Sand Map? I'd prefer light off the bottom and have it pull hard in the higher rpms. The Tuner would be fun to test with, I definitely want to check it out.

Apparently the FI Diagnostic Tool is helpful with starting the bike and very low rpm operation. You can set the CO level correctly and get instant starting (allegedly).

For the setting idle screw, it's cool that you can read RPM with the Tuner.

Allegedly some say the stock battery doesn't crank very well and can apparently lead to hard starting. It may not be the battery but who knows. I figured it was worth asking.

Are you running the stock skidplate? Hyde Racing has a pretty killer skidplate and swingarm guards for the WR

Bottom hit is lessened on the sand map, you could tune it out completely if you wanted to. The stock battery does okay if kept on a tender in San Diego conditions, if it didn't have a kickstarter I'd have replaced it already. I think my skid plate is works connection.

[Edit: 4 gallon tank is tempting but then I'd have no reason to keep my DRZ aside from wheel switching laziness.]

Hah, I think this thread jinxed me. I either left the bike on (unlikely) or my Baja Designs kit has a parasitic drain (more likely) but my stock battery's toast. Picking up a Shorai at lunch and troubleshooting tonight.

Hah, I think this thread jinxed me. I either left the bike on (unlikely) or my Baja Designs kit has a parasitic drain (more likely) but my stock battery's toast. Picking up a Shorai at lunch and troubleshooting tonight.

Any update on the battery situation?

I ordered one of the Hyde skidplates for my WR250f (steel frame) and it looks great (in plastic wrapping). I'll install it once I get my bike back from Suspension 101 and post a pic.

hp_sg_13_l.jpg

Sometime soon when I get the chance, I'd love to take you up on the offer to meet up and borrow/play with the Tuner.

What size rear tire are you running? 120, 130 or 140mm?

Take care with those Hyde plastic bash plates, they're not as protecting as good ol aluminum. I crushed a frame tube on a hard hit using a Hyde guard.

Some people drill holes into them strategically to allow for better cooling/air flow.

Shorai's been great, rode the past two days and will do more tomorrow. Mileage is down to a little over 30, probably due in part to the sand map and in part due to throttle heavy riding conditions. I'm running a 120 rear tire.

Mileage might be partially due to you having a too much fun and twisting that throttle!

These are the Unabiker guards, what's up with the "holey" box at the bottom on the R radiator guard? I know the R radiator is smaller to clear the exhaust pipe but I have no clue where or what that box protects. Maybe it's just there for the picture? What do your guards look like?

http://www.unabiker.com/YWR45012.html

12WR450F-3_599x700.jpg

Yeah, having a friend chasing me on his freshly resprung (Thanks Suspension 101!) TE510 was good incentive to step up the pace!

My Unabiker guards don't have that weird looking box, I don't have a pic handy but can take one tonight if you like.