Afry

3 day Baja lobster run Thanksgiving weekend

Kris the Brit Boon will be in town (currently working in Mozambique) for some R&R so I am planning a big bike ride with him (he has 990) for 11/28-30. Leaving Friday morning coming home Sunday and looking to put together a small group of not more then 6.

Friday Day 1:

We will be meeting at the gas station on Hollister Rd and Hwy 5 @ 9:30 with kickstands up @ 10. Ride 35 miles to Puerto Nuevo for langosta lunch. Then on (95 miles) to spend the night at Coyote Cal's. Day one is mostly slab but we will hit the trails from Santo Tomas to Cal's which is scenic and easy double track with beach riding optional. You must make your own reservation this night at Cal's.

Saturday Day 2:

Leaving Cal's by dirt rd to Hwy 1 then taking the Wine Rd to Valle T for Tacos and then up to Mikes Sky Ranch. This is a short day, depending on the group we may head south along the coast to Camalu before hitting the Wine Rd. This option has a couple tricky washed out arroyo's to cross so we are all in or we will pass.

Sunday Day 3:

Leaving Mike's we will head north of Valle T paralleling Hwy 3 on double track past the KC memorial back out to the Hwy then take the trail through Laguna Hansen to La Rumorosa. Then slabbing Hwy 2 to Tecate and across the border.

There will be sand, rocks and hill climbs so if you have a bigger bike then a 650 please know how to ride it. There is a fair amount of slab so if your on a small single bike be warned we will be cruising 65-70 on the highways. Some of this is the Baja 1000 course and it will be chewed up a bit.

You should have a gas range of 150 miles to be safe but should not needed. Baja always changes so trail conditions may change daily. Bring tire repair and other tools and of course water. Could be chilly at Mikes and your room may not have a working heater. Mikes is $70 for room, dinner and breakfast, Cal's may be less using the bunk room. You are likely to spend more on gas and beer lol.

If your interested post up!

Just saw the 4 day ride got cancelled .... was really bummed, glad to see you guys are putting a ride together!

Would love to join!

Jim

Might be in.

Checking details- emailed Cals for a rez, but have not heard back...

Some have been asking what to bring for Baja - here is my checklist for short non-camping baja rides during the fall - I like to travel light so other then the clothes and 3 liters of water on my back this is what I bring:

[ ] Passport
[ ] Bike reg/ins card
[ ] Map
[ ] Phone/charger
[ ] GPS/batteries
[ ] Lens cloth
[ ] Power bar
[ ] Sunscreen
[ ] First aid kit
[ ] Survival blanket
[ ] Lighter
[ ] Headlamp
[ ] Small compass
[ ] Paracord
[ ] Multi tool
[ ] Tire pump
[ ] F & R tubes
[ ] Tools
[ ] Spares/bolts
[ ] Toothbrush/paste and deodorant
[ ] Hat

[ ] Long underwear pants and shirt
[ ] Convertible pants

[ ] 1 t-shirt
[ ] 1 pr underwear
[ ] 1 pr crew socks
[ ] Shoes

Great list, and saves me the trouble of carrying all that stuff.

This is great!!

Great list, and saves me the trouble of carrying all that stuff.

This is great!!

Dear PMB...please bring your own underwear

I am so stoked for this my current plan is to leave San Francisco Tuesday hit the border Wednesday morning and head to horsepower ranch Wednesday and Thursday and meet up with you guys on the Mexico side Friday morning.

My buddy is coming down Thursday night hopefully his timeline makes it Thursday evening worst case Imaybe he can meet up with you guys Friday morning on the US side looking forward to meeting all of you

Jim

Sounds good hope we meet up. Have a HP ranch margarita for me!

What are you guys riding?

So far the bike list goes like this:

2 or 3 - 950 Se's (depending on Todd making it)

3 - 990's

1 - 1190

That's a seismic event in Baja!

Nah, it's Baja and only for a few days.

Anyone read they're going to enforce some sort of tarriff for US visitors staying longer than 3-4 days in Mexico? Something like $25 payable on entry to the country.

Personally, I'm not too conservative about immigration laws (shoot me) but suppose the US started doing the same thing? At $25 each, we could ding the national debt.

Agree if they want to start charging us 25 bucks US should start charging in coming also seems fair

Fortunately unfortunately

I'm heading over the boarder the 26th staying at hp ranch so I'm staying longer and 72 hours so I likely go ahead and get that permit.

it's not so much the 25 bucks if the hassle of losing time at the border going into filling out the paperwork I believe the only company that offers this form online is discover Baja but they want two weeks advance notice.

By the way I'll be given Arnie a call later on today which order you guys crossing ? Tecate?

You do not need the FMM permit since we're xx miles from the border and entering by land but if it was by water it would be a different deal and absolutely nobody checks.

It's been a while since I've ridden in Baja. Can you guys learn me up on the admin stuff?

• I have passport so good there
  • How much cash should I carry? Are we exchanging at the border?
  • Mex insurance? Are we purchasing before we cross? Do I need to hook something up online? Does USAA work down there? Nevermind. The Google says I'm only sorta covered up to 75mi inside MX. :heh:
  • Anything else I should know re admin jazz?

Bike just got serviced so I'm all good there. Thanks!

I'm not a Mexico Expert, but I do travel there at least a few times per year, and can tell you my policies-

1. I always get Mexican Insurance- unless I forget. And I have. I use Mexinsure, and buy it online. It's not the theft I fear, it's the liability. In Mexico, guilt is presumed, and innocence must be proven. When there's a vehicular accident, someone will be judged at fault, and I suspect the investigation is not comprehensive. So I buy the insurance. USA companies do not have coverage like Mexican insurance offers. It may be a complete scam to sell insurance, but I take the easy way out and just buy it.

2. I never change money- USD seems to work everywhere, often preferred. In the fancy-schmancy places, I use a credit/debit card- but you'll want to call your bank of issuance first to let them know you're traveling in Mexico. And they charge a 3% or more fee on every transaction- arrgh. But having an active card is a good thing.

I'm not a Mexico Expert, but I do travel there at least a few times per year, and can tell you my policies-

1. I always get Mexican Insurance- unless I forget. And I have. I use Mexinsure, and buy it online. It's not the theft I fear, it's the liability. In Mexico, guilt is presumed, and innocence must be proven. When there's a vehicular accident, someone will be judged at fault, and I suspect the investigation is not comprehensive. So I buy the insurance. USA companies do not have coverage like Mexican insurance offers. It may be a complete scam to sell insurance, but I take the easy way out and just buy it.

2. I never change money- USD seems to work everywhere, often preferred. In the fancy-schmancy places, I use a credit/debit card- but you'll want to call your bank of issuance first to let them know you're traveling in Mexico. And they charge a 3% or more fee on every transaction- arrgh. But having an active card is a good thing.

Passport, MX insurance, USD, CC...got it.