I'm thinking about heading out for the day on Saturday. Leave my house in Crest about 7am, park in Ocotillo and run across to Blu-inn, through OW, get fuel at the Arco near Salton City then back to the truck. Probably knock out 100 miles or so. Intermediate-ish pace....I'll even drive! Any takers?

Might be out there camping in The Cove. Not sure what the plans are, but was thinking of riding to Salton Sea. Maybe see you there!

Stop by crossover campground on the truck haven side, bring a tent. We're having a band, costume party and potluck Saturday starting 6pm.

We'll be at the cove, look for the grey tundra with a camper shell, sdar sticker, and way too many antennas and stop in for a cold one if we're around!

FYI.....SDORC is having their annual Lost Lizard run starting across the street from Blu Inn on Saturday. It will be crowded with Jeeps etc all day out there.

Sounds like lots of cool loops on this posting, as I am thinking about parking in Ranchita for a wander to lower elevations... watching the weather to decide sat morn or sat eve.. and hope to link Ranchita to split mountain as a target goal. It would be a nice coincidence to cross paths even for a little while either for some ride together time or some take a break time.

In regards to all the names of locations tossed around, can a fairly accurate map be found that shows the official (and nicknamed) locations posted here so I may spontaneously wander in those directions to check out new territory? I want my GPS unit to earn its keep - haha

And, even better yet, the Non-asphalt dirt roads that might link them? Thanks. John

FYI.....SDORC is having their annual Lost Lizard run starting across the street from Blu Inn on Saturday. It will be crowded with Jeeps etc all day out there.

Forgot that is this weekend, good to know thanks.

Sounds like lots of cool loops on this posting, as I am thinking about parking in Ranchita for a wander to lower elevations... watching the weather to decide sat morn or sat eve.. and hope to link Ranchita to split mountain as a target goal. It would be a nice coincidence to cross paths even for a little while either for some ride together time or some take a break time.

In regards to all the names of locations tossed around, can a fairly accurate map be found that shows the official (and nicknamed) locations posted here so I may spontaneously wander in those directions to check out new territory? I want my GPS unit to earn its keep - haha

And, even better yet, the Non-asphalt dirt roads that might link them? Thanks. John

There is a decent map of Ocotillo Wells on the parks website but not a lot of gps coordinates.

Not trying to rain on the parade but just an FYI. The NWS is predicting wind from Friday evening until late Saturday evening\Sunday morning. Not super windy but gusts up to 31 mph. Looks like Sunday may be the better day to ride if that's an option.

I'll be riding somewhere Sat morning......need to get a quick/morning fix due to other plans Sat afternoon.........undecided if I'll stay local or drop to desert......if it's pouring rain in Ramona I'll probably drop down the hill to warmer temps/drier conditions.........as mentioned, extended forecast is calling for blowing winds on Sat in the desert and I'm not overly fond of the Ocotillo Wells area......one possibility is a ~50(?) mile loop starting/ending at Tamarisk campground off the 78......cruise across Grapevine/Jasper/Culp.......drop down S22 for breakfast at Kendalls in Borrego Springs..........from Kendall's I'd either reverse course or make a quick run over to Old Borrego Springs Rd./78/Tamarisk.......

Upside of the wind is temps forecast in the low 70s, I saw 96 in Borrego Springs last weekend.

I'll probably be driving down Friday... I'm supporting a district 38 race at Plaster City West Saturday... Maybe I'll head over to the cove to say Hi...

I'm still on the fence about what I'm doing Sunday...

Crawdaddy,

Your Tamarisk Grove trailhead to Grapevine Jasper Borrego catches my interest. Grapevine has received a good deal of water this summer and was pretty green when I drove through Tuesday. Expect a bunch of cuts and rocks across the roads and who knows up Jasper. I can get to Tamarisk about 7:30-7:45 ( or later ) if you choose this area. Already craving the corned beef hash at Kendal's.

I await your decision.

Bagstr

P.S. - The weather sounds great.

I await your decision.

Change of plans......I'm out (unless I get a wild hair to do a local/Ramona buzz to breakfast but it'll probably be raining).........I need to take care of some chores tomorrow morning because I'm busy the remainder of the weekend......Bullhead/Wickenburg next weekend....

Jason, we've got a fold out couch you're welcome to Saturday night if you want it. We're about 300 feet east of the cove restrooms.

Thanks.

Do you plan to ride Sunday?

Plenty of wind though. Boston Mangler and his crew got kicked out of Plaster City by the wind.