kato

quieting down

Trying to replace the loudass supertrapp on my bike with something less obnoxious. Im looking at adapting a pro circuit quiet tip to replace the disks, or maybe some oem 450ish used pipe (wr, ktm, etc).

I noticed that used yz250f oem silencers can be had on the cheap. I wouldnt want it to be too restrictive tho, does anyone know if 2008ish 250 and 450 use a similar oem silencer? (Both have 2" inlet, as does my 598cc bike). Thanks

I've got a Husky pipe in my rafters....

My packing is fairly fresh Brad. Still screams (remember, i dual sport my bike a lot). Had to slab back non-stop from Camalu a couple weeks back and my head was still buzzing all night after being back home.

I like the quiet insert idea. The 4" procircuit quiet insert + end cap also should fit my round 4" pipe, i might go that route but why do simple when you can do complicated.

I ll pm you Tom thanks

Robert: my exhaust (made by George @ Uptite Racing) is a completely open pipe from header to end, and I mean empty, straight through, with supertrapp disks at the end. To reduce DBs using disks only means i ll have to go down to less than 5 disks, I tried that and the bike doesnt run with so few. Basically my system needs at least a little baffle to help with sound (like Brad s post)

Another thing with supertrapp disks is that the noise is sent right to me (sideways) instead of behind me when Im riding..

I have a Yamaha 450F muffler and a KTM 690 muffler if you want one. But the ktm is big and heavy and has a Gato but not a Kato. Oh might have a 450x muffler too. Any of them free.

Damn it George, I was charging him One Million Dollars for the mufflers I had. You're running down the price!

I have my stock YZ450F pipe here you can have. Less than 2 hours use on it. I never road the bike with it on, just started in the garage. It was LOUD! Like has been discussed, you'll need a different end cap with spark arrestor to make it quieter and off road legal.

For those long distance rides I always wore ear plugs. Something you may wish to consider.

wow. well this is amazing.

So if Jon says that the YZ-F pipe is dummy loud I will stay away from those. I guess the street legal stuff is a safer bet then, within the 96db. pretty sure I should be able to fab/modify the midpipe and weld a bracket or two to make anything fit.

Tom is your husky pipe legal, what bike does it come from? or George if you can dig out that 450x pipe easily that'd work too, maybe Jon and I can make this a little ride to Alpine together i wanna see his new 650Rworkhorse in action

THANKS for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 Husqvarna TE450. I never ran it on the bike, got it with the Arrow pipe installed. I'm willing to bet it's quiet.

The Husky pipe is nice, and quite. I have one on my 300. Has a mellow note to it.

Just to confuse things, I have an extra stock XR650r header and muffler. Free if you can use it. I think they're on the quite side too.

just noticed the husky has pipe on left side, that might complicate things as far as adapting it goes.

Yo Kato, you worried now that since Jon has a 650R you won't be able to sandbag it anymore and you'll have to get on the gas to keep up??? Hmmm :torch:

Lots of great offers by the SDAR crew. A muffler shop could make a custom midpipe from your header and hook it into any exhaust you pick up.

Quiet is good! You may actually feel less worn out after rides with a quieter bike. I notice that my head doesn't ring as much since going to a quieter pipe!

The Husky pipe is nice, and quite. I have one on my 300. Has a mellow note to it.

Just to confuse things, I have an extra stock XR650r header and muffler. Free if you can use it. I think they're on the quite side too.

What happened to the wr125?

I have an old SuperTrapp that kills my head, and my helmet makes it worse. I also have tinnitus from hunting and shooting in my youth. Ya gotta wear ear plugs if your exhaust is loud, and I do 100% of the time. The problem is they lock me in with my screeching ears, blocking out any masking noises.

My son has a Q series FMF on his XR600 which is much quieter than my ST. I plan to switch to the FMF and get a quieter helmet so maybe I can run without plugs and enjoy the ambient noise.

Good luck.

post-15323-0-78133800-1414680453_thumb.j

Honda90: Agreed on ambient noise. I have a hard time 'feeling it' with plugs in my ears.

Following up..

Before going into pipe bending (wanted to thank everyone again for the generosity and advice btw) I decided to try messing with my current Uptite setup. Found a cheap used ProCircuit Ti4 pipe that had a 4" round end cap, "silencer" and spark-arrestor, so I gave it a shot. Seems to work, and my supertrapp disks are now gone.

Is it quieter? I don't know. Sounds different (deeper) but it's hard to tell if I improved in quietness. This thing puffs out so much air. Still loud when i stand behind the bike but at least now much quieter when on on the saddle. I'm gonna try a few more things but looks like I'll be using the entire PC guts (inner perforated tube included) in my uptite exhaust.

CAM00582_zpsbe464a78.jpg