Sign in to follow this  
350thumper

dual sport adventure sun

when i was leaving chevron i headed out to meet dave then saw jesse riding by the opposite direction .

i waved after checking out his awesome klr 650. he did a u turn and pulled up and said hey you planning on going on a ride ? and i said ya you wanna come with us? by chance we met for the first time .... i had no idea he was from sdar we proceeded to shred up to my friends property near by somewhere behind vons...

heading down skyline we pulled off the road into some dirt and found some pretty adventurous and steep trails (not the ones you may be thinking of.. different ones )that had been rutted and washed out there was fressh smell of brush and dirt the sky was beautiful and the temps were down . i proceed up lawson valley peak. jesse was shredding it and testing out his bike .

i trailed it up to the platue at the top would of made an awesome camp site minus a few coyotes.

after descending that brief rip with a view,post-15687-0-81756900-1413998195_thumb.p post-15687-0-74994400-1413998286_thumb.pwe slabbed over to another trail. (pm 4 dets)

that one was a little more challenging, it was soft seemingly tilled soil with a few dozer tracks in it .lots of roost was shooting out from my rev stricken kenda . i was hoping to deter jesse's path with an enormous amount of silted dust but he endured and climbed relentlessly up onto the mountain of powder that we had stumbled upon . eventually his klr decided to dig in and lodged itself into the side of the mountain .post-15687-0-82786100-1413998060_thumb.j i continued up to the top, anxious to find my peace, my sacred ground , my moment in perfect harmony with the universe , the top of an unconquered trail.. and there i was wit my trusted friend in battle ... my xt 350 .post-15687-0-62157800-1413998121_thumb.j

we never quite truly made it to the very peak from the back side but this ride will have a part 2

after climbing back down from Gods backyard.. we went down honey springs rd to otay and surprize there was yet another great opportunity to uncover the hidden secrets of the otay mountains recreation area. heading in a directin i had never traversed before jesse led into a vast wonderland for the dual sport adventurer. i was impressed. rocks i had never seen , trails i had never apreciated ,tall grassy plains that yearned to be enjoyed and apreciated for years to come .

some where in the backstrech, south of the 94 we encounted a dirt road that had 2 ft of powdery soft dust for miles.i almost wanted to lay down on the trail and make sand angels , my friend dave was leading at this point , and thru the clowded murky air i watched him get forced of the trail and wipe out in big puff of wite dust . i ran over to help him and relized i had never seen him lay his bike over .

he said he had never seen the trail that fluffy in 40 years of dualsporting that area.

i guess if the bp mop the trail to many times with that brush trailer they have the road gets dangerously silty .....lots of fun for me because it was like riding in snow powder but very tricky because you cant see the actual trail or rocks under all the laiden dust .

went over to tecate mountain from there.. Apparently the gov has invested some serious dollars into grading and paving (ruining) that road . beautiful view though with a tightly wound twisty curvy road that looks like a long racecoarse that snakes its way up the side of tecate mountain.post-15687-0-53207300-1413998418_thumb.jpost-15687-0-94815800-1413998492_thumb.j

dave bailed out after that to go catch the football game .. im more into motorsports myself .

so me and jesse headed out eastward to grab a bite at the taco joint on buckman springs road and i fueled up at he gas station across the street. jesse didnt need too because his awesome klr has a range of over 350 some miles..

then it was my turn to lead ... because we were headed to my playground ,Corral Canyon .

we headed up kernan . jesse was in front i skipped along behind at a mediocre pace enjoying the scenic landscape kernan offers then stalled it on a big rock. im such a rookie..

made it to the fire road after finally catching jesse, ....bam! i was gone ... rippping roosting , sliding , berming , climbing , jumping , dodging , wheelying, just letting it all hang out , flying over little cobble and using up every inch of the fire road ,at one with the ohv park. finally i had found my niche . all the memories of ripping down that road with past friends all came rushing back to me even faster as i realized my skill had improved tremendously .passing four other riders , i could barely hang on, pushing the envelope between man and machine, i couldnt even think anymore , it was just fluid motion. .

at the last minute i looked over and saw a ktm with a flat on the side of the turn(dan) and that threw off all my concentration ,, it was to late. my linehad disapeared ,,,all fluidity vanished and i locked it up yelling whoo hoo! as i rammed into and over a cuple of curb thingys with my front tire .

got to the end of the park at the culdesac and waited at the finish line, i thought jesse was DNF but it turned out he was just collecting a cuple new soil samples .post-15687-0-63733100-1413998592_thumb.j

jesse's a good rider and carries all the necessary safety stuff id definitly ride with him again . he has alot of mechanical knowledge and a growing interest in the sport ..

good meeting you jesse , until next time..

That was a fun ride. Exploring new trails is always a blast. Was cool watching some older 350's shredding it up. You two can ride, and your an animal on that xt. Cant wait to get my new to me dr350 on the trail. That would be a cool trio. I logged just under 200 miles by the time i got home. Thanks for the great ride 350thumper and am looking for the next.

What does your 350 need to get going for the sequel to dual sport adventure sunday?

Paper work, a shake down and a couple little things. Probably be ready in a month or two. I eventually want to do the rmz250 front swap a rear dirt shock new lighting and fenders. It will hold me down for a couple years till i get better then i can get something newer if i feel the need. I think its cool to start out on the older bike and work my way up in skill level and technology together. I might be down for another sunday adventure if my other plans fall through.

You gotta use Nicki over at California Registration

(El Cajon)

She will save you big bucks on late dmv fees...

Tell her Darren sent you ...