Goofy Footer

2015 Yamaha WR250F and YZ250FX with 6 speed!

Yamaha annouced a new 2015 WR250F and an all new YZ250FX - both with new 4 valve motors, 18" wheels and... a 6 speed gearbox! This is the first time a Japanese manufacturer has a high performance 6 speed fourstroke. The YZ250X is specifically setup for enduro work. While these aren't plated, it's a solid move into the enduro/offroad market. Hopefully a 450 will come soon too.

http://racerxonline.com/2014/10/16/yamaha-introduces-all-new-wr250f-and-yz250fx

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2015-yamaha-wr250f-yz250fx-revealed/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/647/19369/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Yamaha-WR250F---YZ250FX-First-Look.aspx

85260_15_wr250f_blue_a1.jpg

2015_splash_yz250fx_02a_B8SMXH8.jpg

Definitely a step in the right direction. Still 14 pounds heavier than the ktm offering.

... a 6 speed gearbox! This is the first time a Japanese manufacturer has a high performance 6 speed fourstroke.

Hey.... my 250 has a 6 speed.

oh, high performance. :shiftyeyes_anim:

It does look like it will be a nice bike and it is $600 less than 250XCF-W. Not sure I like the wrap around header. Lot's of heat next to both legs but that's the price for the reverse engine design. The fan is a nice touch. Hopefully the aftermarket gets on board with a bigger tank. I've owned a ton of Yamaha's and they've all been rock solid reliable.Great to see the Japanese mfrs get something realistic in the game. KTM had no competition for the longest time so they've been able to charge whatever they want. This might put a little pressure on them pricing wise. Now if it were street legal they'd really have something.

... a 6 speed gearbox! This is the first time a Japanese manufacturer has a high performance 6 speed fourstroke.

Hey.... my 250 has a 6 speed.

oh, high performance. :shiftyeyes_anim:

What about the high performance DR350? Or the high performance NX250?

Tom; I know you are mocking the DR350, but I never could figure out how the DR350 was a 6 speed, then the DRZ comes out with a 5 speed. My DR350 gearbox was ROCK solid; never an issue... Decent trail gearing and able to buzz along at 75 no problem. WHY couldn't they throw that gearbox in the DRZ? and the DRZ CAN be made in to a fairly high performance bike with some mods... not a light bike, but you can get some ponies from it

I really do like the DR350 and think it's an under appreciated machine. With a bit of work (suspension upgrade, big bore, etc) I think it's a great trail machine, every bit as capable as the DRZ.....maybe more so due to the nice gearbox Suzuki engineered 25 years ago.

The same could be said of the NX250, Honda knocked it out of the park on the engine but the rest of the bike is weak. I think the NX250 engine is stronger than the current CRF250L engine.

Oh yeah, the CRF230F has a six speed transmission as well.

None of these bikes are in the same league as these new Yamaha machines

I never could figure out how the DR350 was a 6 speed, then the DRZ comes out with a 5 speed.

Same with my rotax motor: 350 6sp, 500 & 600 5sp. Maybe the higher torque motors need beefier gears

I never could figure out how the DR350 was a 6 speed, then the DRZ comes out with a 5 speed.

Same with my rotax motor: 350 6sp, 500 & 600 5sp. Maybe the higher torque motors need beefier gears

The new Harley Davidson models have six speed transmissions, and they are big torque engines. Of course the HD transmission possibly weighs about half of what the entire WR250F weighs.

I wish my WR450F was a six speed...:)

That is bad ass.

Don't worry about the claimed 14 pounds difference. Yamaha builds bikes to last and lists honest wet weights. KTM has always listed wishful dry weights.

There is a thread on Thumpertalk about stripping 25 pounds off of a WR450. The first 10-15 pounds were removing over engineering pieces and the global street legal wiring harness extras.

The frames for the current YZ 250 and 450 are identical and IMS already makes a larger tank for the 450. It may just drop right in. I think it is a touch over 3 gals which based on my YZ450s range should be good for well over 100 miles on a 250.

Enduro21 has a teaser test video on the new WR. They like.
A quick taster of where we've been riding Yamaha's WR250F today.

Had a real blast riding this bike today. It's ticking all the boxes.

Fun, and easy to ride. Predictable and planted on the trails but packing a hefty punch on the special test.

Pasta, here are some other videos I found. I'm curious as to how this bike compares to the 2012+ WR450. Apparently the 2014 yz250f makes some incredible power - enough to qualify it as a "midsize" bike.

My 4T Blue choice would be the YZ250FX. That thing is brilliant, bullet proof and will be a weapon on the trail with minimal ride/race setup. Looks like the Japanese bean counters have realized the market share that KTM and other Euro brands have cornered for ready to race offroad/enduro bikes.

on second thought maybe the new WR250F...may be the ticket for trail riding/enduro racing bliss (I like the enduro racing light package)

Too bad they didn't make it street legal. They'd sell like hotcakes! All my Yami's were bulletproof.

I posted a video in the recent Dakar thread that has a glimpse of the rally ready WR450F. The tags on the tank are clearly WR450F but the bike itself looks very YZ, right down to the back slanting engine. Take a look.

Maybe a late release all new WR450 is coming soon?

I just want the WR transmission and throttle body for my YZ. I plan to keep it for a very long time.

The WRs are street legal on every continent but North America. I guess they sell enough to not be bothered with the DOT certification.

that YZ250X is very appealing--ready to race as the Austrians say.

I am pretty sure I will be getting the YZ 250X as my next bike. I want to hear some more reviews first. But, I am going to moto this thing!

Like. That YZ-X will be a great go to, all around, do everything, off road machine.

Hmmm, that YZ-X might just be b'dass enough to coax me out of my decision to buy a brand new 6-speed GasGas 300 2-stroke in the next year... maybe. "Lurking", as they say...

Edit: Actually, I'd opt for the "WR" variant, I need the lighting system.

My current brain cell killing, constant head spinning mental debate is should I keep my 06 WR250f and 05 WR450f or sell them and buy this new WR250f ?

One bike is less to upkeep but might require more attention (as more miles go on the single bike) than the two tried and true 5 valve motors. FI would be nice, 6 speed would be awesome! Having an extra bike while one is down for repairs/parts is nice to have, having two different size motors is nice to mix things up, having a buddy bike would be nice too. I don't see too many large capacity tanks offered for the new YZ/WR. I don't know how the new bike would do on longer dualsporty rides. While I like technology, I'd prefer somebody else try it before I'm 120 miles in the middle of BFE by myself on a night ride. I'd probably cry the first time I crashed it...

Buuut, this new WR250f looks straight bitchen!!!

*this is what my generation affectionately calls a "first world problem" lol. I just got some good news so there is reason to celebrate. The joe hauler is currently on my truck, Yamaha dealerships are close….

Get one. End it. Keep the other 250 for a backup/buddy bike. Sell the 450 and whatever else is lurking in the dark regions. Simplify.

I mean, you saw my garage yesterday.....I'm the perfect person to take advice from! :upsidedown: