Spaugh

Proper Fork Alignment

How To:

1.) mount forks into triple clamps and torque to spec with torque wrench

2.) mount wheel and insert axle. Tight the axle and nut by hand.

3.) tighten the RIGHT axle clamp bolts so the axle doesn't spin and torque the axle nut with a wrench.

4.) Loosen the RIGHT axle clamp botls.

5.) torque the LEFT axle clamp bolts to spec.

6.) verify that the RIGHT FORK can move easily left and right on the axle.

7.) grab front brake and pump the forks through their travel a few times to align the left fork on the axle and ensure both forks are parallel.

8.) torque RIGHT axle clamp bolts to spec.

9.) ride

This came up as a possible cause of leaky seals and excessive air buildup. The forks need to be perfectly aligned as to no bind when traveling and to not put excess stress on the bushings and fork tubes. And will ensure smooth friction free action.

What are your thoughts on the http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0412/ ?? I've used one and tested it against the pump method with equal results......so I just use it without pumping now. I know you're a KTM guy so the procedure you mentioned is for them, I'm guessing. It doesn't match my bikes but the thought process is the same.

Anyway, thoughts on the Motion Pro tool? I know it's $30 ya don't have to spend but it's convenient to use while the bike's in the air for a tire/wheel change, etc.

It seems to me that Spaugh's instructions are fool proof and will produce proper results every time, been doing this for years. Any time you add a tool or template into the mix there is margin for error by the user (guys like me) and the false concept that because you are using a special tool it must be right even if user error causes an issue.

Yeah, tool + tool might not be a good thing in my case. Well, my fork seals don't leak but they're not performance models... :lmaosmiley:

I have three of those tools in my shop currently. I ask some of my customers to buy them because their bike will not align properly.

I use it prior to removing the forks FYI and during assembly. My partner Dave invented the tool and Motion Pro took liberties.

Some bikes simply will not align properly, guessing 1 in 10 and some just fall right into place. Could be triple clamp tolerances but also lug not floating on axle as it should or someone used a hammer on the axle and mushroomed it etc. etc. But I do get brand new bikes that will not align.

I suggest checking your bike with the tool after doing the standard procedure just to be sure it is aligned, then you will know if your bike has an issue.

Another way I check on occasion is to install the forks without springs and bottom the forks by hand to make sure there is no binding. This is also a good way to assure your lower triple clamps are not overtightened.

Sometimes factory torque ratings are too tight on the lowers and you will get resistance.

By the way Spaugh I feel bad the way I handled myself in our bleeder discussion. I was too hard and I apologize!

I have always basically used spaughs procedure although less so on torque settings, I just do it by feel. One key is to make sure the right side axle moves easily within the fork boss so should be lubed and you can test by making sure it when pushed in and out it springs back under its own force. In general and if wanting to save a little time this can position the axle near enough correctly to torque it down.

I agree with suspenders that even better is to remove fork springs (or caps and bars) to allow forks to fully bottom then knowing everything is fully aligned clamp everything up.

not used the motion pro tool but can see it could help, I like and own many of their tools but don't see I need this one.

Trophy, I have never used the tool and have no opinion either way. It is probably a fine tool as are most things made by motion pro.

Suspenders, no worries, I am a smart ass and have a very dry sense of humor. Can rub people the wrong way until you get to know me.

Thank you George and Spaugh for all your tips and advice!

I have recently bought an inch lb torque wrench as I thought (and now I know) I have been over tightening the pinch bolts.

Yeah I always use a torque wrench on the triple clamps and just do tne axle clamps by hand. The lower triple clamp bolts are the ones that need to be done right and have very low torque setting.

i never use my comp adjusters i leave them fully open and allow my forks to be misaligned to create dampening...................(sorry I needed to be a goon)

i never use my comp adjusters i leave them fully open and allow my forks to be misaligned to create dampening...................(sorry I needed to be a goon)

Overtorque the steering stem, poor mans scotts stabilizer... yeah, don't do that.

Something I noticed while torquing my lower triples- I'd torque the bottom bolt to spec, then the top bolt (adjacent, on the same clamp) then go back to the lower bolt- it would then allow another 1/2 turn to reach spec.

Then-you guessed it- I'd go back to the upper, and it,too would accept another 1/2 turn to get to spec. This back/forth drove me crazy, so I stopped after two rounds.

Something I noticed while torquing my lower triples- I'd torque the bottom bolt to spec, then the top bolt (adjacent, on the same clamp) then go back to the lower bolt- it would then allow another 1/2 turn to reach spec.

Then-you guessed it- I'd go back to the upper, and it,too would accept another 1/2 turn to get to spec. This back/forth drove me crazy, so I stopped after two rounds.

You should keep going until they both are at spec. Its normal. Should only take 3 or so times on each bolt.

This is the same reason head bolts and anything with a flange has to be torqued in a star pattern and done in incrementally bigger torques each time. Lug nuts, exhaust manifolds, turbos, pinch bolts... one bolt affects the other.

Yah, I thought that- but it won't just keep going? They're in pretty close proximity-

Seemed to me each time I'd tighten one, it'd reduce the load on the other and I'd be going back and forth all week.

Just got done installing my Suspension 101 forks. All went fine. Thanks for the tutorial.