Wintyfresh

Anza-Borrego Explorer / San Diego Trail Map is now California Trail Ma

Just picked up the android version. Can't wait to wonder around with it :smile_anim:

Any tips / recommendations for putting this map onto an iPhone?

I'd likely use it as a backup to my GPS. The interface on my Garmin 76Cx is quite outdated - I assume there has to be a better gps visual experience 2015.

Any tips / recommendations for putting this map onto an iPhone?

I'd likely use it as a backup to my GPS. The interface on my Garmin 76Cx is quite outdated - I assume there has to be a better gps visual experience 2015.

There's a version of the map that can be loaded into an app on a phone or tablet. It's a raster map so it takes 4gb. The interaction is nice and the visual is a lot sharper than a GPS. Email me from the website if you want to upgrade.

Bumping up this thread as I bought this last week before my first trip out to Anza Borrego. I bought the 'all platform' version and ran it on my 60csx next to an iPhone running Motion X using USGS maps I downloaded before I left. I used the 60 for primary navigation and Motion X on an old iPhone 5 with the sim card removed in a waterproof/dustproof case for fast zooming/poi and satellite views of where we were.

What a fantastic combination! With the CA Trail Maps I could see every street legal road, turnoff, side canyon, and POI as we rode by. Not only was it awesome to know where we were, but even better was that I knew where every turnoff went and could easily figure out how to get from "here to there." We made an impromptu loop on Saturday and used the map to connect several washes without any chance of getting turned around.

In a perfect world, you would figure out a map server so I could install the map into Motion X instead of buying LeadNav for $20. I know it's not much for an app with so many features, but since I already own and am familiar with Motion X I'd love to have the transparent maps to overlay. Any chance of that in the future, possibly as a sideload? My iphone only has Motion X and Google Drive on it, so it has ~10g of free storage.

Thanks for putting so much hard work into your maps and for updating them so often. And thanks to Goofy Footer for recommending them to me. I only used a tiny sliver of the content you've created and already know I got my money's worth.

Tim

(PS. Any chance of you doing for SDAR what you're doing for Race Dez? Might entice more people to pick it up. :))

On 1/24/2016 at 9:23 AM, Vacman said:

Bumping up this thread as I bought this last week before my first trip out to Anza Borrego.  I bought the 'all platform' version and ran it on my 60csx next to an iPhone running Motion X using USGS maps I downloaded before I left.    I used the 60 for primary navigation and Motion X on an old iPhone 5 with the sim card removed in a waterproof/dustproof case for fast zooming/poi and satellite views of where we were.

What a fantastic combination!  With the CA Trail Maps I could see every street legal road, turnoff, side canyon, and POI as we rode by.  Not only was it awesome to know where we were, but even better was that I knew where every turnoff went and could easily figure out how to get from "here to there."  We made an impromptu loop on Saturday and used the map to connect several washes without any chance of getting turned around.

In a perfect world, you would figure out a map server so I could install the map into Motion X instead of buying LeadNav for $20.  I know it's not much for an app with so many features, but since I already own and am familiar with Motion X I'd love to have the transparent maps to overlay.  Any chance of that in the future, possibly as a sideload?  My iphone only has Motion X and Google Drive on it, so it has ~10g of free storage.

Thanks for putting so much hard work into your maps and for updating them so often.  And thanks to Goofy Footer for recommending them to me.  I only used a tiny sliver of the content you've created and already know I got my money's worth.

Tim

(PS.  Any chance of you doing for SDAR what you're doing for Race Dez?  Might entice more people to pick it up. :))

The problem with a map server is that it would change the subscription model to a reoccurring cost. You'd need to keep paying me to keep using the map. Most people don't like that idea. They want to own it. On demand file storage in the cloud is cheap relative to running a service 24/7.

LeadNav doesn't seem to display the map at the right scale. The roads and icons are too small. You might try Galileo or one of the other apps. It might be easiest to sample the other apps with one of the smaller coverage areas like central California or Nevada.

I think you're referring to the discount link. It was an idea that never worked so I dropped the price and got rid of it. Nobody ever used the links. 

Now includes all of Clark County Nevada in painstaking detail.  Esmeralda and Nye counties adjacent to California are included along with the Arizona side of Lake Mead. Over 7,000 miles of dirt roads and trails in Nevada.

CaliforniaTrailMap.com

On 11/19/2014 at 1:15 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Seth, I received an email last night notifying me to the update and quickly downloaded it.

I got unlimited updates on all platforms. I hope to install it on a used iphone or android tablet one day. An older waterproof garmin nuvi might provide a nice color screen and basemap to orient yourself and follow 00yz250's marked trails (no tracks on a nuvi however).

Sorry to thread resurrect... but, I'm just perusing the forum, and seeing stuff I might be able to assist with. ;)

Tim....

Ever use "GPX2IMG"?

I've been taking my tracks, via gpx file... and using gpx2img to create a new map, in mapsource.
Once you get the track colors how you want them (in gpx2img), and modify the file you can then download that map into mapsource from the gpx2img program.
... and load that map, as a gmapsupp.img file from mapsource, into any garmin product (all from Mapsource)! Works wonders! 

If you want to download that newly created map, and not lose any previous mapping... then select the map in mapsource, and download all as one file (it'll be selectable within the garmin unit) to whatever nuvi or garmin you own.

NOTE: some newer Garmin products (Nuvi based GPS) won't show the overlay map of tracks. Not sure why... but, my Garmin 42 (Nuvi) does, as well as my in-dash car stereo, a Kenwood DNX9140. Yet, 3 other Kenwood in-dash car stereo's I own with Garmin navigation do not :angry:... I haven't checked my other two Nuvis yet, but will someday in the near future.

I love it...
As I'll convert an entire ride using color coded tracks, and load it into my android via google maps (as backup), then load my Garmin 60CSx and the chase trucks Nuvi 42.  Doing so, allows the 60CSx to have 100% free track memory to enable the track log file and 'track as you go'. Or, allows you to load a few key tracks you might want to turn on/off along the way.

In fact, I just did this for the Baja500 this month, into my Nuvi 42. So nice to be able to see the course on a bigger display, and in the color I prefer (green). As well, gpx2img will also convert the waypoints, and show them on the overlay just as they do the tracks. The tracks themselves, will show the name of the track (same name you use in mapsource) along the track... as if it was a road, already on the basemap.   So cool! AND useful!!

Hope that helps!

Im just want to say I love this program.  Been using it all over Anza and Hemet and it works great.  Accurate and has a lot of good sites, info, and notes about gates.  Im putting it to the test this weekend riding new trails from temecula to Ridgecrest.  Ive been looking for a good dirt route for a long time and trying to piece together various maps and google earth.  This made it WAY easier to get it done. 

I wish I found this a long time ago.