Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Digital Roadbooks in Beta - RallyBlitz

My friend Pilo from ADVrider is the founder of RallyBlitz, the company credited for creating the iPhone Digital ODO and Cap Heading has now unveiled a prototype for their Digital Roadbook. Pretty awesome tech if you want to try rally navigation. A digital roadbook combined with rally navigator will be bitch'n!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936183

Iphone Odometer and Cap Heading

post-14322-0-28670100-1412139758.jpg

post-14322-0-29155400-1412139757.jpg

Digital Roadbook

post-14322-0-03437900-1412139986_thumb.j

post-14322-0-06752300-1412140076_thumb.j

The pic with the iPad is interesting. It won't last off-road but it looks cool as hell.

The pic with the iPad is interesting. It won't last off-road but it looks cool as hell.

Just curious, what makes you say that? Vibration, weather, sun?

Phil is an impressive rider having soloed the Baja 1000 and raced the first Baja Rally. He says the iPad held firm during his first long full day navigation test through Utah. In terms of vibration dampening and weather who knows, maybe a well designed case and rubber mounts to an HPDE tower? The iPhone case was made by Highway DirtBikes and includes space to hold the charger inside the case (prevents movement at the joint). He told me that he'll eventually start working on programming for Android so it can be used on less expensive tablets.

ps, when we were talking about Rally dualsporting this is exactly what I had in mind. For those not keen on using phones/tablets for navigation, you can always use your compass for CAP heading, your stock Odometer (with some math involved) as your ODO and a homemade manual Roll Chart - some made from tupperware boxes even!

With RallyBlitz

post-14322-0-86110100-1412177650_thumb.j

On a DRZ

post-14322-0-87729900-1412177652.jpg

Another design

post-14322-0-28853200-1412177729.jpg

Just curious, what makes you say that? Vibration, weather, sun?

With an iPad, vibration and heat. They overheat very quickly in a case. Those devices aren't weather proof so they need to be in a case and will overheat.

Something like this would be better... (ask me how I know =P)

This is a Panasonic JT-B1 Tough Tablet running Android and the DualSportMaps.com APP. (Other apps work too like BackCountry Navigator, Trimble Navigator, Riding Social, etc)

6172.jpeg

Photo Credit: Paul M Bowers

Hey Strega, I saw this and thought you might like to see what another android tablet navigator is doing (on a KTM 690 Rally Raid Evo2)!

quote taken from http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25260929&postcount=446

"I use a Nexus 7. ... I print as a PDF file, save on Dropbox, and the file automatically goes onto my Nexus 7. I then bought a 2way toggle switch connected to a bluetooth keyboard dongle, which I can use to scroll up and down on the PDF, so I can use it with gloves on."

quote taken from http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25263076&postcount=450

"I use a simple HID bluetooth dongle, and the button simply sends a "down arrow" and a "up arrow". Those don't seem to work on apple devices to scroll up and down a PDF. Which is why I went with an android tablet (plus it's way cheaper)

And yes, home-made ICO's, that run on GPS. I've been working on them for a few weeks, and been thinking of producing a batch to sell, and see how it goes. The one on the left uses a dot-matrix transflective screen, and has a lot of cool features."

post-14322-0-97037100-1413173302.jpg