Suspenders

Ride to the river - Martinez Lake

Anyone know a good route to Martinez Lake?

We have taken the Bradshaw trail in the past and someone recently ran along highway 8 through the sand dunes.

Never made in before dark though.

We have a place down there, lets get a group ride together maybe Nov.

I do know a route from the dunes over to the river comes out at picacho then there is a dirt road down to Yuma

Wondering what bike XR650R or 990.

That road that goes from Picacho to Yuma has a river crossing at the Imperial Dam that goes to Hidden Shores. From hidden shores there is a great trail to Martinez.

Is this a revival of the Beach to River ride? Will this be an offroad event or more of a big bike ride?

Is this an organized/ promoted ride or an informal ride?

We have done it on big bikes and med bikes by way of Bradshaw trail. Not so sure on the sand dune route though.

Like to try to make it before dark.

Have six beds and a couch when we get there.

I am going to ride the XR650R

On board,

Vesia

Tony

Kato

Couple others are waiting for the date.

Will have to put together a route that challenges the mid sized bikes a bit keeping in mind it will be a loooong day.

So back to route.

Just thinking here.

How about we truck to the river cabin and check out the riding out there.

North bound along the Coloroado river is Red Cloud Mine road. This road is about 100 yards from the cabin.

Very good trails along the river to Hidden shores / Imperial dam headed south too.

We have some members from Yuma that might show us some good riding in the area as well. Maybe the Gila river who knows as we have not explored it.

There is a restaurant / bar about a mile down a dirt road from us.

What more could we ask?

Seems we could make this an epic exploratory trip.

Ok

Date November 28-30

Trucking bikes to cabin Martinez Lake AZ. North Shore. 35 miles outside Yuma. 32.987434, -114.475640

Per request big bike friendly and will find some challenges for those that need the adrenaline.

Possible rides

Day 1 Red Cloud Mine Road found this description online.

"It will not show up as a road on a map at least not past Red Cloud Mine but for some reason it will show up on some GPS units as a road that will take you all the way up to Interstate 10. You can go up that way but you better have one heck of a jeep or better yet an ATV. Many Jeeps do try to see how far they can go up the road and make it an all day adventure. We have been up the road as far as the Red Cloud Mine and seen the various sites along the way. There are caves the miners used to use as cabins. There are many mine shafts where they dug for silver. There is a cemetery and a sign where a town used to be back in the 1800's."

I have been to the mine and past a couple times and it was easy. Never been too far past it though so the exploration is on!

There is a great run to breakfast going south on this trail but only about 10 or 15 miles or so. Need more input for trails. Gila River any good?

Those that have committed please send me a hello via email, suspension101@cox.net

We might have a full cabin but gotta get organized with the emails to know for sure.

There is room for RVs with at least one hook up maybe two.

I run that route North out of Martinez frequently on our Parker runs and it is a fun trail. As you leave Red Cloud Mine, there is an easy trail and a harder trail but both doo-able. Once past Red Cloud mine, the trail becomes "unfriendly" to big bikes. Even the easy trail has lots of loose rocks and a DEEP gravel wash that can be brutal depending on how torn up it is. If you want an all day ride, go North to Palo Verde or Blythe cross the river and come back the CA side. Kato has been on that trail, he changed a flat in the dark there! Head back to Hidden Shores via American Girl Mine rd. Even better, make it an overnighter and run up to Parker. Fun stuff, my favorite area. I probably have good tracks if you want them. I will try to join you but I need to check the holiday schedule first.

We've done Red Cloud a few times, it is a blast. But like HotRod82 said, it is a bit hairy for big bikes in places. Here is the recap of our last ride with a map of the loop. Looking like i will be around that weekend, so may be able to join you for your ride. Lots of good riding around Yuma with Kofa and Picacho close and both pretty big bike friendly.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17381-yuma-to-palo-verde-loop

plus some video of one of our trips:

Thanks dstss.

Yes I was concerned about the big bikes riding Red Cloud Mine road.

We may have a date change due to my boy being chosen for all star soccer. Not sure and we should know soon and will advise.

Maybe this ride will be a smaller bike ride unless someone wants to lead a big bike route with a separate group.

Ohhh Dang, just saw this! I'm a definite maybe.

Danrider knows the area and likes those big bikes. Maybe you can convince him to come out. Personally I don't know how you ride anything worse than Wheeler rd on those things. I am constantly amazed on the dash by the bike bike riders.

George, something came up for me too and current dates wont do. I ll keep an eye on thread.

Current dates are 28th-30th? Might work for me.......not going to LA-B-V Banquet this year......at the moment........that could change......may wind up going to promote the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser in Jan......I'll keep an eye on this thread......