HotRod82

Help me (re) plan an epic ride....

Me and 4 of my riding buddies had the epic Cabo run of a lifetime planned for the end of next month.....8 days of almost top secret single track with the luxury of a chase truck to boot. The hurricane literally blew away our plans. I spoke to some locals down there and they said security south of San Ignacio is bad and getting worse so the 5 of us are going to stay stateside and do something epic on this side of the border. My first thought was the Continental Divide but we are too late in the season for the Rocky Mountain passes. Same with the Tour of Idaho ride....possibility of too much snow. I'm thinking the loop around the Grand Canyon maybe?

So let's hear it! We have 9 days and a chase truck, where should we go? As little slabbing as possible, all of us on small bikes with intermediate and up skills.

Of the 18 Sates I just finished riding through AZ was the suprise hitter.

They have had a bunch of rain and a lot of the state is green x10 right now.

Another option is UT. From riding slick rock you can be in the mountains riding some sweet black diamond dub track in a couple hours. (+10,000')

ID and the Tour is the top of the food chain for riding. The biggest benni there is the course is already mapped out for you.

Sure, there is a big chance of snow but that's part of the story.

If you have a chase truck just sort a re-route. (Only one 10,000 footer in the route)

That said, riding end of Oct would be a Hail Mary at best. lol

The conti divide has the views but the riding is mellow in most areas, and as you said; It's all 8000' ++ except down by Mexico.

It's hard to plan an epic in a short period of time.

ID, AZ, UT were my three top hitters for this year.

G Luck!

Sickness

Of the 18 Sates I just finished riding through AZ was the suprise hitter.

They have had a bunch of rain and a lot of the state is green x10 right now.

Another option is UT. From riding slick rock you can be in the mountains riding some sweet black diamond dub track in a couple hours. (+10,000')

ID and the Tour is the top of the food chain for riding. The biggest benni there is the course is already mapped out for you.

Sure, there is a big chance of snow but that's part of the story.

If you have a chase truck just sort a re-route. (Only one 10,000 footer in the route)

That said, riding end of Oct would be a Hail Mary at best. lol

The conti divide has the views but the riding is mellow in most areas, and as you said; It's all 8000' ++ except down by Mexico.

It's hard to plan an epic in a short period of time.

G Luck!

Sickness

I agree AZ is very good right now, my wife and I just got back from a week in the Durango and Flagstaff / Grand Canyon areas and I have never seen it so green there. I am very tempted to tackle the Idaho tour though.....if it snows too much then simply go around it.

Stupid hurricane really screwed us!!

Check out www.oohva.org for the Oregon Backcountry Discovery routes. I spent a week touring Southern and Central Oregon OHV areas and really enjoyed it. There"s loads of ST in those mountains and a top tier microbrewery in every town. :drinks:

Tour of Idaho T1

post-14596-0-68289100-1411482844_thumb.j

UT mountains overlooking Moab

post-14596-0-56309700-1411482929_thumb.j

AZ about 35 miles north of Mexico

post-14596-0-19355700-1411483030_thumb.j

I'm thinking you could throw a dart to make the decision. As with any ride; it's what you make it.

The BDR sites are great info, GPSXchange has tons of tracks and also check gpsKevin (google search).

These will all help you with routes.

Sounds right.......I'd hit Moab and surrounding areas

If you do decide on UT give this place a look up. http://3stephideaway.com/

They know the area, are super nice and you will not find a better deal on the planet for places to stay.

Scott and Julie are the owners. Both avid riders.

They opened in April and have been supporting TAT riders all summer long.

If you do decide on UT give this place a look up. http://3stephideaway.com/

They know the area, are super nice and you will not find a better deal on the planet for places to stay.

Scott and Julie are the owners. Both avid riders.

They opened in April and have been supporting TAT riders all summer long.

Excellent, thanks! I've ridden around Moab quite a bit and it is a great place for sure. Right now we are leaning toward doing the Continental divide, running South to North and going as far as we can.