Afry

Need a support crew member for the Baja Rally Moto

DATES: September 24-28, 2014 ***5 day event with 4 days of timed special stages

I am helping a buddy that is racing this event (http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=61cf2727d20dfd8aa4bb13164&id=92590faefc&e=3cd0ca6b33 ) and we could use one more body for helping out.

This is a Dakar style event with no prerunning. Our duties are to transport all equipment (including spare bike for parts) from bivouac to bivouac. Set up and take down camp as well as mechanical duties on the bike - we will be camping at the bivouac's. A great chance to see Baja and be part of this new and unique Dakar style event. We plan on leaving San Diego area on the 24th and getting back home on Sunday the 28th or maybe the 29th. You do not NEED a passport but it's handy - have a current drivers license and if no passport some other good ID. You MUST bring a good attitude and be able to adapt to changing situations.

Larry Dysert is the rider and a good guy (not to mention pretty damn fast) riding a Huseaberg 570. He will pay your support crew pass (includes food), provide us with his truck and equipment and hotel costs if we have any. Larry is self supported and not a sponsored young hopeful - we are a grass roots effort.

Event info:

Baja Rally 2.0 is a 5-day navigation adventure rally with 4 days of timed special stages for expert and pro motorcycles only. The length of the special stages will vary between 50 and 250 miles. Highway transfers and liaison stages will comprise the overall adventure.

The specific course route will remain totally vague and mysterious and the general route will be disclosed 2-4 weeks prior to the event for support teams to plan for the service route. Riders will receive road books the evening prior to each day’s stage.

Baja Rally 2.0 parlays the successes of the inaugural Baja Rally to deliver the most adventurous and scenic rider experience possible while utilizing unique safety systems to protect participants, officials, support teams, hosts and spectators.

This is NOT an intermediate-level fun ride or guided tour. Pure and simple, this is a navigation “rally-raid” running through totally undisclosed regions which will include the full range of varying terrain that Baja CA has become famous for: From graded roads to off-trail sections; from the beaches and dunes to canyons, valleys and washes. Weather and conditions and terrain will vary widely. Participants and support teams shall prepare accordingly.

Guaranteed entry to the Rally of Baja is limited to the first 50 entrants and with a standby waiting list for an additional 30 entries. The maximum number of starters will be limited to 80 riders, all of whom will comply with basic technical and compliance requirements.

LODGING: Hosted camping after each race day. No-cost camping for participants and registered support teams.

MEALS: Complementary catered breakfast and dinner hosted by Baja Rally included in each entry. ***Registered support team members may purchase a meal card for $80 prior to Dec 31, 2013. Meal cards will be available on a limited basis after De 31, 2014 at a rate of $120. Participants must plan for their own mid-day meals.

Meal service starts with dinner at the end of the first stage on Thursday September 25th and concludes with breakfast at the start of the last day's stages on Sunday September 28th.

FUEL: Race fuel for all riders is included the entry fee. Riders must start Special Stage 1 with full tanks. All rally fuel proved thereafter. Riders should budget for and carry petty cash for emergency fueling situations in the event of an unforeseen accident or other uncontrollable incident with our fuel provider.

SUPPORT TEAMS:

Each participant may register up to 4 individual support team members (16 years and older). SUPPORT TEAMS MAY NOT provide ANY outside assistance or support during the special and transfer stages*. Penalties apply for any violations. Support teams must expect to camp each night the rally is away from Ensenada.*Extractions and rescues for stranded riders and broken equipment is permitted by support teams only after verbal authorization from Baja Rally officials.

BIVOUAC:

Support teams will transfer to each day’s final destination bivouac camp and set up support systems for participants and bikes. Meals will be provided to paid participants and their registered, paid support staff only. Meals may be available ala carte for a nominal fee for everyone else.

Arnie @ 760-522-8111

I've been subscribed to the ADV thread for a couple months now and have been helping our own resident Baja Rally pro (Goofy Footer) get his bike ready to sweep this race. Man, I would LOVE to do this but it is not in the cards for this year. Good luck and have fun Arnie!

Still open?

Let me know I'm interested

I'm also a professional photographer.

If they need gear: We have this available for rent: camping tents (6 Mountain Hardware 2 person and and 5 REI Passage 1 person and 7, 2.5 inches ultra light sleeping pads, 4, 7gall water tanks, portable vhf-uhf 45 watt radio, portable compressor and other little things : )

Thanks for the offers but Larry just withdrew from the race due to a scheduling conflict with his business.

Good luck with this event as the roads are gone in sum places . People still stuck trying to get out of Mexico . Back roads totally fucked!

Good luck with this event as the roads are gone in sum places . People still stuck trying to get out of Mexico . Back roads totally fucked!

Thanks but the damage is further south. The course only goes as far south as Coco's.

I went to Mulege between hurricanes Norbert and Odile - just got out in time as my buddies house was 12' under water 4 days later.

How was the fishing trip Arnie?

Oh and to keep this thread on topic have you found a teammate yet?

Brian Peirce runs an offroad racing podcast called Seat Time (check it out live, on itunes or stitcher its a fun show). He entered the Baja Rally with no rally experience other than one training weekend with Rally Management Services' Dave Peckham in Pahrump, NV. He had quite the adventure at the Baja Rally, being from Texas and his dad driving their literally brand new RV. I met him on the first day we chatted a while before Stage 1. Not to give the story away but Moto Medic Patrick and I actually ended up finding him on the beach during Stage 3 while John Graves (azcaviga on ADV) and his buddy Big Rick hauled him to Coco's Corner. I slept in the garage of their motorhome one night - they're good people. Brian is a pretty funny guy and this is his mini recap of the Baja Rally 2.0.

http://vurbmoto.com/blogs/woody-navigates-baja-rally-part-2/21647/

I'll post more info when I'm not on mobile.

Brian Peirce runs an offroad racing podcast called Seat Time (check it out live, on itunes or stitcher its a fun show). He entered the Baja Rally with no rally experience other than one training weekend with Rally Management Services' Dave Peckham in Pahrump, NV. He had quite the adventure at the Baja Rally, being from Texas and his dad driving their literally brand new RV. I met him on the first day we chatted a while before Stage 1. Not to give the story away but Moto Medic Patrick and I actually ended up finding him on the beach during Stage 3 while John Graves (azcaviga on ADV) and his buddy Big Rick hauled him to Coco's Corner. I slept in the garage of their motorhome one night - they're good people. Brian is a pretty funny guy and this is his mini recap of the Baja Rally 2.0.

http://vurbmoto.com/blogs/woody-navigates-baja-rally-part-2/21647/

I'll post more info when I'm not on mobile.

...and I quote: "So a few guys were saying I should ride my dad's 1987 Suzuki SP 200 that was in the back of the RV." Crazy! :crying_anim02:

Another wild story!

10376915_820760961288416_271436191046553

Slight navigational error? Yikes!

Another wild story!

10376915_820760961288416_271436191046553

Slight navigational error? Yikes!

High Tide (this was along the Pacific), some forced alternative navigation and "Mudgate" :lmaosmiley:

Boulder Moto pics

10682276_726004594102636_275398726582155

10703896_726004924102603_205123890251397

I believe this is the main road from Coco's heading southwest

1410856_726004964102599_1606236862972823

10428135_726005520769210_679313728686265

And for all you big bike guys out there:

1596712_726005790769183_8761208268714114

timelapse of Mr Seat Time, his dad and the owner of Konflict Motorsports prepping the ol SP200 for the Baja Rally!

This is a ride report / race blog of two east coast ADVrider guys racing the Baja Rally. drc42 raced the Mexican 1000 a few years back (his first time in the desert) and GuyManBro had never been to the Baja.

Team Mohawk takes on the Baja Rally http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008013

drc42 and GuyManBro

20140831_174144-L.jpg

PreRace shakedown with Beechum1 (svjeremy on SDAR? he has been on an SDAR ride before)

0b177d37e92d3067659eb4189ce4417e.jpg

Finish of the last Special

61421700de1dd9fe77983a075e1f2bfb.jpg

Yamaha WR450 rally prep by ADVrider's drc42