When I began fixing up my TW200 that was given to me, I had NO idea how riding my own bike would ignite such a passion in me! Putting around the county (especially with y'all) has brought amazing joy to my life.And a bit of pain, but that fades with the realization that even a ride to the store can make any day better.

I know I'm "preaching to the choir" here.

Now I've searched for a bigger bike for the street and, pardon my "girly" sentimentality, but man oh man, isn't it like looking for love??!! I mean, when you find "the one" you just know. It's an instant infatuation: just wanna look at it and touch it; never let it get hurt....again I had NO idea until now.

I found my baby. I'm super excited!! I brought her home Sunday and I've practiced a little yesterday. Like any good relationship, I'm taking things slowly and carefully, but I'm looking forward to many many miles with her.

post-15619-0-49450900-1409167715.jpgpost-15619-0-23285600-1409167716.jpg

I plan to master the street, learn the dirt, then step up to a big DS bike. :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats ? What size is that ?

Street riding and travelling is great fun !

If u haven't done it already....think about taking the MSF riding course.

Have fun with your new toy !

~70hp in a 470lb bike for your first street bike? Please take it slow and easy. I understand the desire to jump over the typical 250-500cc starter bikes, but that's a (potentially) very expensive bike to drop. And as a new rider, you will drop it. :)

Be safe, have fun, atgatt!

Yep, nice bike. Maybe my wife (not my neighbor!) will join you on a street ride. We usually go out a few times a month for a morning ride and get lunch somewhere.

Be careful please!

What size is that ?

Thanks for the congrats. It's a 600

And as a new rider, you will drop it. :)

Be safe, have fun, atgatt!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Vac! :shiftyeyes_anim: Ya know, I read the ENTIRE manual and NOwhere did it say I had to jump on it and run full throttle :ohno02: I never realized that more expensive bikes dropped easier, either. Good to know.

Yep, nice bike. Maybe my wife (not my neighbor!) will join you on a street ride. We usually go out a few times a month for a morning ride and get lunch somewhere.

Be careful please!

Thanks TNT! It'll be awhile before I'm ready to make any runs. I have a friend that's an experienced track/street rider who is teaching me so I don't make Vacman's prediction reality.

But I will for SURE announce when I'm ready. I look forward to keeping up. :smile_anim:

Beautiful addition, Miriam. Just like your TW, work your way along comfortably and enjoy. Always good for a comfortable putt when ya want.

I'm jealous, I'm not mature enough for a bike like that.

:)

Me too! We could drop our bikes together!! :P

And thanks, Ken! I can't wait to be up to speed!

It has nothing to do with the cost of the bike. Or the HP. Or the weight (although that will certainly play a part if things get sideways.) The fact is you're a brand new rider to the street on a bike capable of warp speeds.

There are only two types of street riders. Those who have crashed and those who will crash. It's inevitable. I certainly hope you prove me wrong; I also hope that if you prove me right you're dressed for the crash, not the ride.

but man oh man, isn't it like looking for love?? Like any good relationship, I'm taking things slowly and carefully,

Like any new relationship, Protection, Protection, Protection!

Enjoy and be safe

The fact is you're a brand new rider to the street on a bike capable of warp speeds.

There are only two types of street riders. Those who have crashed and those who will crash. It's inevitable. I certainly hope you prove me wrong; I also hope that if you prove me right you're dressed for the crash, not the ride.

The fact is I've been riding the street for a year, so I'm not a totally new rider. Nor am I looking to go warp speed ever anywhere. You should talk to Zenosan-he says most accidents are avoidable. I don't subscribe to that philosophy at all. That's why I have an experienced personal instructor and lots of patience. I have my street legal TW in the meantime if I wanna putt around.

I AM AND WILL FOREVER BE AN ATGATT GAL!!!

The fact is you're a brand new rider to the street on a bike capable of warp speeds.

The fact is I've been riding the street for a year, so I'm not a totally new rider. Nor am I looking to go warp speed ever anywhere. You should talk to Zenosan-he says most accidents are avoidable. I don't subscribe to that philosophy at all. That's why I have an experienced personal instructor and lots of patience. I have my street legal TW in the meantime if I wanna putt around.

I AM AND WILL FOREVER BE AN ATGATT GAL!!!

I love your passion and your excitement. I remember those days myself. As I said, my wish for you is that you prove me wrong. I would love for you to have a long riding career without mishap. And I agree with you 100%...sometimes feces occurs without any opportunity for you to react. That said, a lot of the skills you'll develop over time will help you be in the right place when that wrong time comes along with the ability to avoid it.

Ahhhh....and there lies the rub: there's only one way to get experience and that's to take the chance. But I definitely plan to hedge my bets as much as I can!

I've ridden most of my life.. Lots of track days, etc....

Just 2 years ago i finally stepped up and invested in a real "School" and did the Jason Pridmore Star school. I learned more in those 2 days then in my 20 years of doing it wrong from advice of my buddies that sound similar to what you are describing. I enjoyed the school so much, i have been back twice since.

I made a lot of excuses to not pay for a school, and just listened and followed to those faster than me. Learned A LOT of bad habits, that i am STILL trying to break.

I would strongly suggest a legit school vs having your buddy teach you, if it all possible.

MSF would be a great place to start, 2 of my friends are instuctors there and i can give you their info..

Again, i have seen MANY MANY newer street riders develop bad habits really quickly, and results not usually good. If you start of proper, you will learn and progress better habits.

Glad to see your AGATT for sure! Just remember, that doesnt make you invincible! :)

Enjoy the bike, and don't hesitate to post up questions here. A lot of good experienced riders here!

BTW, Great Looking Ride!

-Kevin

Sweet bike, I wanna ride it!

Comments above about going to a school are spot on. I definitely wanted more confidence heading into a corner at speed and a school will give you just that. Plus, you can rent their stuff. It is cheaper to crash their bike than yours.

Let's clear one thing up: There's no rule that says you have to crash. No matter WHAT type of bike you ride.

In fact, as a friend of mine says, that's unadulterated horseshit. He doesn't say it like THAT when teaching Streetmasters, but get him alone...

Educate yourself. Get training above and beyond MSF (Streetmasters, Total Control, etc), and practice. Practice. Practice. - But practice with "correct" positioning and cornering strategies. Dirt will make you a more proficient street rider.

BMWOCSD and San Diego Sportbike Meetup are both new(er) rider friendly with some good people.

Ahhhh....and there lies the rub: there's only one way to get experience and that's to take the chance. But I definitely plan to hedge my bets as much as I can!

UPDATE:

"Dad" formed me a special seat for me to use while I'm getting comfortable on the new bike. Now I can flat foot when I stop and feel much more confident. I've spent time every day sitting on it and moving it around the dining room. Enough, in fact, that when I took TW out this week, it felt small.

Here's how my seat looks:

post-15619-0-66602900-1412889663.jpgpost-15619-0-48462900-1412889664.jpg

And the stock seat for comparison:

post-15619-0-30044300-1412889666.jpg

I'm certain I won't be on the little seat for long, but it sure is a great option!

Bike school is on my todo list for sure, but dang this habit AIN'T cheap!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT, Y'ALL!! :wub:

Great bike, I have a yamaha street bike as well (FZ-09) and I absolutely love it, enjoy your new toy!

My wife (not my neighbor) got a sweet deal on a FZ6 before I went on extended vacation. She's been going on a few rides by herself and with friends, maybe need to get you two ladies together if you're still out there getting some miles on that Yamaha.

My wife (not my neighbor) got a sweet deal on a FZ6 before I went on extended vacation. She's been going on a few rides by herself and with friends, maybe need to get you two ladies together if you're still out there getting some miles on that Yamaha.

My number is (310)987-1038. I lead an easy Saturday morning ride every week from Lake Jennings 7/11 to Major's for breakfast. From there sometimes we go to Campo and back or up Sunrise and back around Lake Cuyamaca. Thumper Bob comes most weekends.I just did my first track day. Would love more ride time-definitely have her gimme a call or text.

Thanks, I'll pass that on to her. She likes riding and she likes breakfast, amazing coincidence!