hodnettjj

Selling a Mustang

I have a question for the registration experts.

I have a 95 Mustang GT convertible.

90k, registered in FL, will not pass smog.

Can I sell this car in CA as-is?

The only way to get your money back in court on a used car, no matter how long you have had it, what shape it is now in, or how many miles you put on it is if the seller did not smog the car before delivery.

I sold a real nice guy a Ranger P.U. , made him an appt. at the smog place and arranged payment, he did not keep the appt, , three weeks later he blows up the engine after some body damaging off roading. I lost in court had to take the truck back and refund every dime.

Maybe the law has changed since then, I know I would not risk it.

Unc C.

Uncle Champ is correct, only way I'd even attempt this is something in the bill of sale calling it an off-highway vehicle or parts car.

It appears that if title passes, the seller is responsible for the smog. I GUESS one could sell it as parts, but not pass on the title?

Thanks for the input.

Maybe I'll use it as a trade in at a dealership...

I'm sure they'll auction it off out of state...

I sold a Nissan that wouldn't pass smog due to an aftermarket ECU to a guy that took it to Mexico. I wrote a bill of sale stating this and that the vehicle was for OHV only, not street legal and the buyer understood it didn't pass smog.

Not sure what the Mustang is worth, but another option is to donate it to a charity that takes old cars and get the tax write off. We did that with my grandparents old RV and the tax write off was about the same as what it would sell for if it did pass smog. Hell of a lot easier too. Lots of charities will take cars, running or not. Determine what your tax bracket is and it might be worth it. Also nice to support non-profits.

I sold a Nissan that wouldn't pass smog due to an aftermarket ECU to a guy that took it to Mexico. I wrote a bill of sale stating this and that the vehicle was for OHV only, not street legal and the buyer understood it didn't pass smog.

I've done the same thing, but suspect that won't protect you if the buyer decides to make life difficult- you cannot create a contract that violates the law- which is pretty clear that the seller is responsible. I sold mine as a non-op, and didn't have any repercussions, but I worried about it for a few years.

I sold a van I bought from a school that ran good but had bad cat. convertor to Mexico buyer, I wrote on the pink slip in ink big in big letters, Export to Mexico. That guy sold it to a young lady in Mexico who decided to register it in the U.S. , turns out you can write anything you want anywhere you want but it do's not relieve the sellers responsibility.

I sold a van I bought from a school that ran good but had bad cat. convertor to Mexico buyer, I wrote on the pink slip in ink big in big letters, Export to Mexico. That guy sold it to a young lady in Mexico who decided to register it in the U.S. , turns out you can write anything you want anywhere you want but it do's not relieve the sellers responsibility.

Did the issue end up coming back to you or did you have to deal with it.

I've done the same thing, but suspect that won't protect you if the buyer decides to make life difficult- you cannot create a contract that violates the law- which is pretty clear that the seller is responsible. I sold mine as a non-op, and didn't have any repercussions, but I worried about it for a few years.

I guess anything can happen, but guys sell street vehicles converted to race vehicles all the time. People also sell vehicles out of state that can always make it back to CA. I guess the better way would be to formalize the process with the DMV and register it for non-street use before selling it to a 3rd party. There has to be some way to do it legally and protect yourself. I would be curious to know the best way if anybody knows?

Luckily the Nissan was many years ago. If it showed up now, I would offer to buy it back for what I sold it for (super cheap) and use it at the track in NV.

How much do you want for it? I'd register it in Az. If I bought it.

CiD

I think $3500 would be the lowest.

Someone this weekend (and in this thread) mentioned exporting it to Mexico....

I was thinking about throwing up a CL ad and see what happens.

The wife isn't too excited about the Mustang living out it's days south of the border...

Thanks again for the input.