I just sent a message to my Senator to reconsider support for a massive, inappropriate National Monument designation in Utah.

To take action on this issue, click on the link below:

http://www.arra-access.com/site/Advocacy?s_oo=kWXU8EIisRMLJBP4DrBnVA&id=585

If the text above does not appear as a link or it wraps across multiple lines, then copy and paste it into the address area of your browser.

Amgems

Do you know of map of the area on which you want us to respond? Would all National Monuments be baaad or just the ones where we might ride?

Maybe I missed the link, but don't see one on the site.

B

Don't have a map, but it is in the south eastern area of Utah. I posted this not so much to protect riding areas, but to bring attention to the way the current administration is creating national monuments. I think ARRA is trying to make that point as well with this email campaign. To create a national monument legally the president doesn't have to get congress to approve, but previous administrations usually did. Remember Alan Cranston? That huge land grab in the Mojave went through congress. It was a huge fight. We lost, but at least we had chance to voice our opinion. This one is not allowing anyone to oppose. They have already designated a large area in New Mexico as a national monument. Locals who opposed it, Hunters, ranchers who grazed stock, oil, gas exploration, off roaders, etc. were locked out of the decision. Not allowed to voice thier concerns. same thing going on in Utah. They have more areas on thier list.

Crazy scary times if you really think about it. The govt should not have this much power!

National Park is different designation than a National Monument.

National Monuments are one way of closing off more lands to public use and all motorized use.

It happened in the Kernville Area where we lost miles of high elevation single track trails due to Clinton expanding the "Monument" due to some giant Seqouia trees that were already protected.

Many of these proposals are about closing the lands to the public and not just about protecting lands.

Bagstr and Paul....how much have u researched this kind of stuff in the last few years ? Do u get newsletters from any off road groups that discuss these type of issues ?

Over 120 views. Did anybody click on the link to send a letter to our favorite senator Barbara Boxer?

In!

Thank you for supporting us on this issue.

Your message has been sent to the following decision makers:

• Senator Barbara Boxer

KTMrad

Yes, I am one of those One Issue kind of guys. Only listen to my radio station, my TV channel. Yes, I read the links and generally find them to be Un-balanced just like the Eco-Freaks. I like to think it is possible to value two or more activities and attempt to hold a balanced opinion. For example, that (edit ) Nevada Rancher standing tall against paying his grazing fees. Yes, he Owns that public land,,,,in his mind.

Just a short list of National Monuments: Giant Sequoia, Dinosaur, Canyon De Chelly Wupatki. Which one would you like to shut down? All?

My problem with the above link is that there was little to no information at the site. Just a shoot from the hip, "Send a Letter" The statement was that it was "inappropriate"

OK, maybe it is. Can get some info with the opinion? Maybe I agree, Maybe the Monument is justified but not that much land. Possibly, it needs to be larger.

Finally, is it appropriate to have a discussion? Or is it better to just have an opinion?

Bagstr

I've Got a Little List -

My problem with the above link is that there was little to no information at the site. Just a shoot from the hip, "Send a Letter". . .

Agreed. Where is the map? How can I sent 'the letter' without knowing the geography? A very fundamental piece of information missing from this discussion so far.

Also, is this just about OHV? Or is the proposed NM to protect against federal land leases to corporations for land uses such as oil extraction, strip mining or solar farms for example? These leasing possibilities on public land can virtually turn them private for the term of the lease and would be guaranteed to block OHV use. We've seen federal land leases for solar shut us out of some country in our own backyard in the last year or so.

Something to think about . . .

Simple. If Barbara Boxer is involved it is bad! How does she keep getting re-elected????

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/58242954-90/bishop-canyonlands-create-greater.html.csp

http://suwa.org/issues/greatercanyonlands/ Regardless of your opinion, they have good Maps.

Do I want a Road-less Wilderness - No. Do I want Oil Well and Open Pit Mines - No. I do want a managed resource that retains its beauty and allows access to many.

P.S. The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance has a funny video of four wheelers crossing a muddy stream. Hilarious! Bad People, Oh my.

Bagstr

KTMrad

Yes, I am one of those One Issue kind of guys. Only listen to my radio station, my TV channel. Yes, I read the links and generally find them to be Un-balanced just like the Eco-Freaks. I like to think it is possible to value two or more activities and attempt to hold a balanced opinion. For example, that (edit ) Nevada Rancher standing tall against paying his grazing fees. Yes, he Owns that public land,,,,in his mind.

Just a short list of National Monuments: Giant Sequoia, Dinosaur, Canyon De Chelly Wupatki. Which one would you like to shut down? All?

My problem with the above link is that there was little to no information at the site. Just a shoot from the hip, "Send a Letter" The statement was that it was "inappropriate"

OK, maybe it is. Can get some info with the opinion? Maybe I agree, Maybe the Monument is justified but not that much land. Possibly, it needs to be larger.

Finally, is it appropriate to have a discussion? Or is it better to just have an opinion?

Bagstr

I've Got a Little List -

You took the words right out of my head. I prefer to form my own opinions rather than having them told to me.

Nice find Dave. Enjoyed it.

Escalante Grand Staircase became a National Monument under Clinton. Initially I was opposed but once I dug deeper I understood why it was being protected. It wasn't just a land grab by the Feds. It was to prevent coal companies, miners, ranchers etc. from altering one of the most pristine ecosystems in the area. Very few of these areas are left. It is now studied by many teams of biologists, geologists, and paleontologists from many universities for what can be learned about natural ecosystems before human disturbance. If you go to the visitors center in Big Water you will see that they are discovering several dinosaurs fossils a month as well as learning many other valuable scientific lessons that are valuable to all of us. Very rich location for scientific research. Off roaders (even though I am one) are not the only interests at stake In these situations.

Thanks to everyone who took action.

Realistically it will probably not change the outcome. The National Monument will be likely be established without the congress (the peoples representatives) getting a chance to say yes or no. Whether it will shut down riding in this area, who knows?

But....Taking action did have an effect. We let the Senator know that we are watching.

We must be aware of this stuff getting slipped by in the "dark of night". And let 'em know we don't like it.

A little email here, a little letter here, a little phone call there, can do some good.

Thanks to Amgems for bringing this issue to the front.

After reading as much as I could find, I put together an email to President Obama. Keeping it simple I made just a few points.

1. The Greater Canyonlands area is an exceptional area that requires protection to protect its exceptional quality.

2. Oil, gas and mining development has the potential to disrupt the unspoiled horizon and fragile landscape. This should be restricted.

3. It is important to maintain a rational road system that allows public access to this dynamic resource without impacting the fragile beauty.

4. Next time you are in San Diego contact SDAR and we will give you a Dualsport Tour of our wonderful resource.

I've got a little list. And I think I am on it!