Goofy Footer

Newb Radio Purchase: BaoFeng vs Rugged Radios?

Newb Radio  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is the better Radio for a Newb?

• BaoFeng UV-5R
    • BaoFeng UV-5R Version 2
    • Rugged Radios RH-5R
    • Invest in a Better Radio Now and You'll Be Thankful in the Long Run

The black l-shaped one is currently on sale, and I like

That doesn't look like it will work on a euro bike with a juice clutch (i.e. vertical bar clamp bolts)?

A bit more insight. I have been using the APEM IS series pushbutton switch for several years now and have not had one fail. It is IP67 rated and dust\waterproof. The Rugged PTT's use that switch or a clone. While Highway Dirtbikes makes beautiful billet mounts their switches, with the exception of the one they use on the lever mount that Paul is using, are not very robust and I would not recommend them for radio applications where they must carry the audio signal. They are common commercial quality switches that are not rated for harsh environments. Prior to the APEM switch I tried a variety of common switches and experienced failures ranging from significant static in the audio signal to totally inoperable. Save yourself the frustration. My $.02.

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/switch-pushbutton-IB-IS-ENG.pdf

Huh. Isn't this that same APEM switch?

Yep that's the style. All the other HDB mounts use the cheesy switch.

Goofy make sure you check what ptt you are getting with what you need. I just talked with them yesterday. I noticed that the new baofeng set up I received was different than the one I had gotten in the past for my yaesu. None of the parts(ptt, headset) interchanged with the old harness. All of the new PTT are a small rca(I believe) jack, not the large connectors you show in your pictures.

THAT'S interesting....

I knew they had a parallel line of products using the RCA connectors, and their site still shows NEXUS connectors (their special water-resistant versions) o the motorcycle kits.

Hmmm.

Personally, I'd send it back. So many people now are standardized to the NEXUS connectors it's easy to find someone willing to lend a spare PTT.

FYI: The first BD kit I ordered had RCA...

THAT'S interesting....

I knew they had a parallel line of products using the RCA connectors, and their site still shows NEXUS connectors (their special water-resistant versions) o the motorcycle kits.

Hmmm.

Personally, I'd send it back. So many people now are standardized to the NEXUS connectors it's easy to find someone willing to lend a spare PTT.

FYI: The first BD kit I ordered had RCA...

Yes, interesting. I was not happy after the conversation. They have two versions of the MC harness now. First harness he explained was the ECONOMICAL one designed specifically for the Baofeng. The second is the "universal" that would require the straight jack to adapt to the radio. All of there harness's use the rca jack to the PTT. The employee asked how long ago I had purchased my gear because they had not sold the 3.5 connectors( with out their Duralink system) for years. He told me the new stuff is better and that it was time for me to upgrade.

Huh. That Baofeng (er- Rugged Radios) kit does not use the radio jumper, but does use the RCA. The rest of the moto kits use the larger NEXUS PTT connectors.

Wonder if they plan to move the whole line to RCA- which is why many of the PTT switches are on sale.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that we can buy a radio-delivered for $40 but the wiring harness is $200. Looking at different radio competitors it seems they are all building the same harness's. No builder has any proprietary gear. Maybe time to start importing and selling some gear from china(that's where they get it) at a reduced cost.

To date the cheap stuff that has been offered is junk. Seems like the Rugged/baja designs/PCI, etc set ups are all made by the same or at least similar mfrs. they are pricey but they work reliably. They seem to have a corner on the market

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that we can buy a radio-delivered for $40 but the wiring harness is $200.

Was it better when the radios were $125?

(I know, I know- still a lot of money.)

"To date the cheap stuff that has been offered is junk."

I can attest to that. I have bought no less than 5 cheap wiring harnesses over the last 10 years and they are all crap. $30 to $50 pieces of crap.

I have a brand new cage helmet with Baja Designs speakers and mic. I am hoping the speakers and mic can be used in my moto helmet. I will post pics with questions real soon.

Stay away from the cheap stuff unless the radios are going to be used between your front yard and back yard.

Bob

To date the cheap stuff that has been offered is junk. Seems like the Rugged/baja designs/PCI, etc set ups are all made by the same or at least similar mfrs. they are pricey but they work reliably. They seem to have a corner on the market

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that we can buy a radio-delivered for $40 but the wiring harness is $200.

Was it better when the radios were $125?

(I know, I know- still a lot of money.)

No not better, but closer in price and justification. Like Pdblue said they all seem to be using the same manufacturer. They seem to all be becoming the same product as this will drive down the price to make. They are also keeping the prices the same even though manufacturing is dropping.

Rooftop tents are a very good example. Arb charges ridiculous prices for their tents, but you can buy a competitors tent made in the same factory(identical tent) for much less, just not the ARB badge.

Seems this harness/ communication business is ripe for competition. This is what happens when you have no proprietary/ patented goods. Industry becomes open to whoever is willing to sell the same product for a smaller profit margin.

I've had a Yaesu FT-270R for a while with the RR helmet/harness/PPT. Recently bought a RR RH-5R to try out. The Yaesu seems tougher. It scans through channels more quickly and has better reception/clarity. That being said, the RH-5R is about half the size/weight, does VHF/UHF and is a lot less expensive. At its price point, it's hard to beat.The one thing I was disappointed about is that the bottom of its frequency range is 150MHz. There seems to be a lot less traffic in the 140s.

KRG

I've had a Yaesu FT-270R for a while with the RR helmet/harness/PPT. Recently bought a RR RH-5R to try out. The Yaesu seems tougher. It scans through channels more quickly and has better reception/clarity. That being said, the RH-5R is about half the size/weight, does VHF/UHF and is a lot less expensive. At its price point, it's hard to beat.The one thing I was disappointed about is that the bottom of its frequency range is 150MHz. There seems to be a lot less traffic in the 140s.

KRG

IMO the Yaesu's are a much better radio. I have both and prefer the Yaesu as the receiver has much better sensitivity and adjacent channel rejection. The squelch circuity on the Baufeng is not spectacular either. That said for most the Baufeng is adequate. If you buy the Baufeng UV-5R (Amazon ~$35) it will tune down to 144mhz.

Just got a RR email- their MC-BASIC kit is on sale for $170. Their sales don't last too long. You'll need a radio pigtail, but this one has the "not rca" PTT.

The new Buafeng specific harness looks a bit cheesy. If it were me I'd pony up for the one Paul is pointing out. A bit more expensive by the time you add the radio jumper but much more versatile and worh it IMO.

KRG

IMO the Yaesu's are a much better radio. I have both and prefer the Yaesu as the receiver has much better sensitivity and adjacent channel rejection. The squelch circuity on the Baufeng is not spectacular either. That said for most the Baufeng is adequate. If you buy the Baufeng UV-5R (Amazon ~$35) it will tune down to 144mhz.

Yep. The Yaesu is the one I take with me. It's just better. Use the Baofeng as backup. Thanks for the info on tuning the Baofeng, PbdBlue. Good to know.

KRG

$40 Radio - Do the math. How many hours would You work to build that radio @ 40 cents an hour??

We are soo spoiled by China Prices, China builds ,,,. I am happy to pay someone 3 hours wages to build a wiring harness.

:ohno02:

Four years later and I still haven't bitten the radio bullet. 

Calling all Radio Nerds:

What are the current Go-To hand held radios?  Is Baofeng still the good cheap alternative or have they proven faulty over time?  Is a Rugged Radio handheld worth the money? 

I’m a Baofeng Fan. They have an 8-watt version now, and I also like the optional bigger battery. 

Here's a link for you to Baja Racing gear witch is where I ordered my 8 watt Baefong  radio a couple of years ago with every thing you need but they are now it looks like a Rugged Radios dealer also. However I don't think it is the ultimate set up but works for me for a good price. Had it as a spare at the district 38 race last weekend and used it because something was wrong with the kenwood in my truck and could communicate with the main pits about 5 miles away no problem.  https://shop.bajaracinggear.net/8-watt-race-radio-with-helmet-kit.html