Goofy Footer

Newb Radio Purchase: BaoFeng vs Rugged Radios?

Newb Radio  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is the better Radio for a Newb?

• BaoFeng UV-5R
    • BaoFeng UV-5R Version 2
    • Rugged Radios RH-5R
    • Invest in a Better Radio Now and You'll Be Thankful in the Long Run

BaoFeng UV-5R ~ $37 on Amazon or BaoFeng UV-5R V2 ~$35-50 on Amazon or Rugged Radios RH-5R ~ $85 or ____________________?

The original BaoFeng and the Rugged Ragio RH-5R are the same radio. RR rebrands the BaoFeng as their own but includes programed stations and I assume some sort of reliable warranty and tech support. RR is located in Arroyo Grande, CA right by the Pismo Dunes. Is this a no brainer to radio folks or might the RR be worth it for a newb in terms of support/warranty? One could buy two Amazon BaoFengs for one RR smurf colored BaoFeng. Would you recommend purchasing one of them or skipping ahead and buying a better quality radio from the start?

Rugged Radios' version of the BaoFeng...

• Comes pre-programmed with over 40 popular channels including Best In The Desert, Baja Pits, Weatherman, BFG Relay, Rescue, Checkers, GMRS channels, and more!

The BaoFeng V2...

• Upgraded 2014 Bright & easy to read two-color LED display
  • Compatible with UV-5R 3800mah and 3600mah Extended Batteries
  • More enhanced construction and features than previous UV-5R and UV-5RA

BaoFeng UV-5R

41hGC6gJxgL.jpg

BaoFeng UV-5R Version 2

$_35.JPG

Rugged Radio

RH-5R-MD.jpg

I just bought the uv-5r on amazon. I think I paid 32 bucks. At that price I consider it not worth dealing with warranty issues if any arise. So far its worked great. Easy to program so I don't see the advantage to pre programmed stations. Just program them in yourself. The only complaint I have is that you need 110v and the base to charge the battery. I'm toying with the idea of making a 12v plug step down to 10v that will plug into the base. In the meantime I just picked up another battery, there cheap like 8 bucks and a battery seems to last two days.

They are easy to key in the frequency you're using and lock it down. I've not yet programmed one with offset and pl tones.

Maybe Arfy has?

I have two of the UV-5R radios. For around 30 bucks they work well. on eBay you can buy a battery eliminator and larger batteries. The larger batteries have a charging port on them and not sure if you can run the radio and charge at the same time. You can get a battery case that holds 6 AA's if you want. I would pickup a programing cable for 10 bucks and use the free "chrip" programing software.

By two cents

David

Every week rugged has a special on their email. Recently it was an entire motorcycle setup including the radio for $199. Hang in there and you can get a rugged setup for baofeng pricing.

Btw I have a baofeng. Worked fine for Death Valley.

Oh, and I got a 12v adapter that replaces the batteries and plugs in. No more worry about dead batteries.

The larger batteries have a charging port on them

By two cents

David

Thats great intel!

I have three Yaesus, but mostly for photo shoots. If I was starting over, I'd buy the Baofengs.

Arfy, did we have an issue with one on the Dana memorial, or was that a harness issue?

• I have the version 2 bao feng, worked fine on the few trips taken this summer.....pretty sturdy design, easy to program frequency....you still need to purchase the push to talk and head set from rugged, that's the expensive part....

I'm happy so far but still new to the radio thing...

ps: I purchased extra batteries, really cheap and nice to have while out there off the grid....

Go with the Baofeng. My UV-5R has survived two Baja trans-peninsular trips and is still going strong. Programming freqs via the keypad is basic, but if you're going to be programming odd splits, offsets, and PL's GET THE SOFTWARE. The software is really slick.

I do have a problem with either the harness or the connection at the plug-in for the harness but have not investigated yet.

Regular Baofeng it is! Thanks for advice guys.

To confirm, I will need to buy a jumper of some sort to run from the Baofeng to my helmet kit? (I have PCI but it should be compatible with Rugged Radios which is more popular amongst SDAR peeps).

Rugged Jumper $25 - http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=104

Every week rugged has a special on their email. Recently it was an entire motorcycle setup including the radio for $199. Hang in there and you can get a rugged setup for baofeng pricing.

If that was a motorcycle setup with speaker mic and a non-Baofeng Rugged Radio, that is a great deal. If you see that one come up again, please let me know

I've got a standard UV-5R and have it wired to a SR10 bluetooth hub which is connected to my SMH10. Works great.

Downs: Can you put that in English for an old man? Or a pic would even be better.

Thanks

bob

What Downs is referring to is Sena helmet Bluetooth, any will do now, paired to the Sena SR10 Bluetooth 2-way radio adapter with the Kenwood radio plug connected to a Baofeng UV-5R. No wires to the helmet and the SR10 has a mountable wired PTT so you don't have to use the one on the helmet, module or radio. With the latest firmware update on the lower priced headsets they all mesh together nicely. A slight delay but worth the wireless factor. I've been looking at that setup for a while now. With the Kenwood factor if you feel inclined you can upgrade radios later or even get the Sena adapter for a different radio all together. Good stuff.

What Downs is referring to is Sena helmet Bluetooth, any will do now, paired to the Sena SR10 Bluetooth 2-way radio adapter with the Kenwood radio plug connected to a Baofeng UV-5R. No wires to the helmet and the SR10 has a mountable wired PTT so you don't have to use the one on the helmet, module or radio. With the latest firmware update on the lower priced headsets they all mesh together nicely. A slight delay but worth the wireless factor. I've been looking at that setup for a while now. With the Kenwood factor if you feel inclined you can upgrade radios later or even get the Sena adapter for a different radio all together. Good stuff.

Yep this is the same setup I'm using too. Probably not as durable long term as the rugged setup but way better when you're just going for a normal ride and don't need all the ham stuff. I have my phone mounted on the bars and stream music and google maps nav (when needed) into my helmet with the sena. I've also had several phone conversations including a ~30 minute chat with my wife riding down the Cajon pass on Rallymike's tr650 and she said the sound quality was excellent. Pretty crazy considering I was on an unfaired bike at 75mph with a shoei hornet on.

To me having flexibility was a must. Bluetooth lets you go from mild to wild depending on the need. One other cool thing is you can pair senas to each other too, so when I ride with my buddy who bought my harley we have our own music streams but can still chat when necessary to discuss routes, etc with just a click of the headset button.

Tim

Goofy you are correct, you need either 2 pin Kenwood jumper to connect the radio to the coiled harness.

Goofy you are correct, you need either 2 pin Kenwood jumper to connect the radio to the coiled harness.

Thanks for the confirmation. When I used the PCI/Icom radio I put it into my backpack side pocket and it worked well. My helmet kit was connected to the radio via a jumper and small connecting wire. Good to know that I can run different radios with my current helmet setup via a 2pin Kenwood jumper.

Can we talk Push To Talk buttons for a Newb? What is best? What do you use? Are there less expensive options or is this a component you don't want to go cheap on? How often to PTTs fail?

Rugged Radio Motorcycle PTT

post-14322-0-41167900-1407382226_thumb.j

Bolts to the clutch perch

post-14322-0-74292700-1407382158.jpg

Clamps to the bars

post-14322-0-96471300-1407382233.jpg

Or use Highway Dirt Bike switches and make your own PTT. Possibly more reliable? Definitely more trick.

post-14322-0-36407000-1407382243_thumb.j

post-14322-0-87166500-1407382252_thumb.j

I use the clamp to the bars switch but it isn't listed on Rugged's website any longer. Not sure why. Never had any problems with mine.

The black l-shaped one is currently on sale, and I like it

On the 500, I have a clutch lever (not perch) switch from HDB that I built into a ptt. Works great.

The black l-shaped one is currently on sale, and I like it

On the 500, I have a clutch lever (not perch) switch from HDB that I built into a ptt. Works great.

Wasnt RR going to make you a custom one that housed the plug too?

Yeah- that was very odd. I meekly suggested s product, it was well received by the president. I email, who asked for a meeting. Contacted him right away, he wouldn't take my calls, and never replied to any email.

Odd.