Chad

2012 KTM 350 XCF-W Throttle Position Test Harness - Need TPS Plugs

I ran across the gizmo below in a YouTube vid. It's used to accurately set the voltage on the throttle position sensor (TPS) on the throttle body of my KTM 350 XCF-W. Because I tore the whole thing down to give it a good cleaning, I want to be able to reset the TPS properly.

ktm_tps_tool_400.png

The harness is available on the internet for $36, but I'd rather make it up myself, IF I can find the appropriate parts. I've somewhat scoured the net and have had no luck finding what I think I need.

So I thought I'd check with the SDAR brothers and sisters to see if anyone is familiar with where to source the connectors to the TPS (as shown above). KTM offers spare connectors, but one (not a set) I found that "closely" resembles the connectors pictured is approx. $47. Doing a little math and comparing to the sales price of the harness on the internet, I'm thinking they can be found cheaper.

Here is another shot of what they look like (male and female):

close_up_connectors_EXC_sm.jpg

I read Goofy Footer's post re: building a wiring harness and have an inquiry in to ProWireUSA, but did not see anything resembling these when looking through their website.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I have that harness and you can borrow it if you want to. I'm in Vista but I could probably put it on a Coaster train and get it closer to you. Shoot me a PM.

I have the part numbers for the connectors at home. You can buy them at easternbeaver.com. When I get back next weekend I'll post the numbers.

Thanks PbdBlue! Found them and ordered them. Don't worry about posting the part nos.

Sounds like you got / are gonna get the tool you need. I thought I'd post this anyway, since it is kinda related.

There is a Suzuki tps setting harness that works on the KTM

Suzuki TPS testing pigtail. Bike Bandit Part number 1033294.
Suzuki part number shown here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22444790&postcount=4690

Make sure you set your idle speed to what is spec'd in the manual prior to setting the TPS.

I've checked both every few months and the idle speed never changes, but the TPS always needs adjustment.

After I reset the TPS the bike starts soooo eazy.

Ok smart guy, I'm bringing my 350F-XCW over to your place for an adjustment.....my bike almost never starts via magic button first thing in the morning......then it's good for the balance of the day

Good info. I set my TPS over a year ago but now the starting issue is back. Suzuki, here I come!

OK wise-guy, how does a garage mechanic set the idle without a tach? I keep increasing the idle to get a cold start.

Tach-less is La Mesa

Sounds like you got / are gonna get the tool you need. I thought I'd post this anyway, since it is kinda related.

Make sure you set your idle speed to what is spec'd in the manual prior to setting the TPS.

I've checked both every few months and the idle speed never changes, but the TPS always needs adjustment.

Ok smart guy, I'm bringing my 350F-XCW over to your place for an adjustment.....my bike almost never starts via magic button first thing in the morning......then it's good for the balance of the day

You can come over tonight. I've never done it on an XCW. But I would guess it's the same as an EXC?

Good info. I set my TPS over a year ago but now the starting issue is back. Suzuki, here I come!

OK wise-guy, how does a garage mechanic set the idle without a tach? I keep increasing the idle to get a cold start.

Tach-less is La Mesa

I bought a cheapo hour meter. They also work as a tach. It's the kind you use on a generator or such. It has a wire you wrap around the spark plug wire. It can be set for two stroke, four stoke. I think this is the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380654565504?lpid=82

Forgot to mention...The engine has to be at operating temp to set the idle correctly.

You can come over tonight. I've never done it on an XCW. But I would guess it's the same as an EXC?

I'm Rockn' and Rolln' tonight (Alice Cooper/Motley Crue) and heading for Mammoth in the morning.......would definitley like to get together once we get back

Gang,

Looking to order a couple of pairs of connectors from Eastern Beaver but don't recognize this style. PbdBlue or Amgems , please advise when you have time.

Willy's I suppose does not stock these.

Gracias

Thanks for all the good info, Gents! Was able to coordinate a borrow from Kevin. (Thanks Kevin!)

Crawdaddy... Great to see you are getting in on the final Crue experience!

Bagstr... I ordered: 1) Yazaki 3P Female SSD-L Item# 3P F-SSD-L; and 2) Yazaki 3P Male SSD-L Item# 3P M-SSD-L. Pretty sure those are the right ones. As stated on the webpage for the connectors, the "-S" and "-L" designations refer to wire gauge capacity. "-L" accommodates up to 18awg.

Be sure to order the minimum $ amount from EasternBeaver ($20). I nearly sh*t myself when the shipping was showing $900 on a $15 order... Dropped to $5 and change once I was over $20.

Thanks again all!

Almost ordered the Suzuki part. Veys EC wanted $60+ before discount for a "superseded" part #. Must be a mistake or they don't want us to use the part.

Not me!I guess Beaver is next up

You should see how many want to order the connectors and buy together. EB has a $20 min.

Almost ordered the Suzuki part. Veys EC wanted $60+ before discount for a "superseded" part #. Must be a mistake or they don't want us to use the part.

Not me!I guess Beaver is next up

Bagstr...

If there is no interest in a "group order" as PbdBlue suggested, I ordered 3 sets and would be happy to part with one...

Chad,

Let me know when you have your parts And If they are compatible with the bike. Checking before I order. Particularly interested which of the two terminal sizes is correct.

I have three of us set to use jumpers. Connectors are about $5 each, so $30 plus shipping meet minimum.

Dave

As I understand the equipment:

Yazaki 3Pole Male SSD-L ( L = up to 18 ga wire )

Female SSD-L

Extra Seals SSD-SL ( Large seal )

Extra Retainer SSD-RET

Extra Male Terminal SSD-MT ( one size available )

Extra Female Terminal SSD-FT

I will get a crimp tool locally, Checking a few local outlets before order to EB

Chad,

Let me know when you have your parts And If they are compatible with the bike. Checking before I order. Particularly interested which of the two terminal sizes is correct.

I have three of us set to use jumpers. Connectors are about $5 each, so $30 plus shipping meet minimum.

Dave

Will do Bagstr. Received shipping confirmation Aug 3rd, but EB does not provide tracking info on orders under $80. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive.

Although I plan on making tool, followed option 1 from ftb and simply rotated counter clock a small degree. Boom, started reluctantly on first try on choke. No exhaust burble on deceleration. Looking to measure setting with tool.

Tool Meister,

Yesterday, I toured Willy's Mercury St facility and picked up a Open Barrel crimp tool $23 and good small wire stripper and 18ga thin insulation wire. The crimper is probably not up to the standard of the $65 units, but then either am I. When the connectors arrive we can have a crimping party!

Meister Cabler

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/tps-tuningadjustment-tool/

I have No Idea if this guy knows what he is about. .75 volts is way over factory setting of .61 This reminds me of tuning my 1971 Open with the mechanical distributor.

Loosen the screw, turn the distributor until the motor smooths, tighten screw. The part about having a good 5.0 volts is interesting. I think that can be checked at the injector

side of the test cable. :ohno02: Science or Science Fiction???