REV5

helmet light

Any suggestions on lights for mx helmet. Please no tube or xmas light replies, unless you have photos

nite rider is another choice. i used one of their demos for a ride you just did--at night from PV to a invite invite nite ride dinner at bobcat meadows.

dont remember which model, but my trail time was not much slower than in broad daylight once I got used to the set up. Rode the dirt road way to the heilipad then down across the corral cnyn road up kernan and into the trail system to the lower camp area then up the hill to bobcat meadows. it was pitch black and wierd but very cool and fun. That was really the most intense Ive ever ridden at nite.

I have also ridden mccain at nite but less intense with my moto headlamp. nite rider AAA product but comes with a AAA $$ price. local company.

http://www.niterider.com/

You have some options REV5:

I'm assuming you'll use this while riding your new FI Husky correct? Do you want to use it on any other bikes too?

Do you mtn bike often? I ask because you can power some moto helmet lights from battery (which will work for mtn bike) while others run off the bike's power.

VisionX has a distributor named Cyclops Adventure Sports, he is active on ADV/Thunpertalk & on snowmobile forums. He has Halogen & HID versions of his Solstice helmet light. They can be set up to run off battery or the bike's power.

I believe NiteRider is coming out with a moto line. They told me they were looking to add bike powered lights in addition to their mtn bike lights. They are located in Kearny Mesa.

Amazon has some inexpensive mtn bike lights which are very powerful - $20-30. Long term reliability may be uncertain but the price is right.

I have the original Baja Designs Strykr light (700? lumens). You can check it out but heads up, its a burly one ha!

Any suggestions on lights for mx helmet. Please no tube or xmas light replies, unless you have photos

I have the trail tech setup. I hardwired it, comes with a nice harness and plug. IMO the helmet light is tough to use if you are in rough terrain, I usually shut it off when the going gets too rough, the light bouncing around makes it hard to focus.

A helmet light is invaluable when going down sudden, steep transitions in the dark. Before you commit, your bike's light just blazes out into the distance, no light on the transition drop. Is it 3 feet or 10 to the bottom? Rocks, ruts, how steep? Can't see.

With a helmet light you can aim the beam down into the transition just before you commit, assess, adjust, keep your momentum and keep up with your friends.

The Ebay El Cheepos have treated me well.

Similar SDAR conversation

You should try your hand at running a machine shop there CID!!!

I kinds miss that old helmet!

You should try your hand at running a machine shop there CID!!!

I kinds miss that old helmet!

Yeah me to, lots of good miles/smiles under that hood.

CiD

Thank you, that is some good info on some burly lights. Lumens overload.

I guess I will have to buy a few of them and see.

After talking with Goofy Footer I made this simple set up to go in my GoPro mount. Very bright and the light is only about $30.00 on EBay.

IMG_0281_zpsd7e682d7.jpg[/uR

L]

]http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/chrisnelson55/media/IMG_0287_zpsf24ca596.jpg.html]IMG_0287_zpsf24ca596.jpg

CiD

That is really cool. Have you tried the jaw mount? I tried the top mount, but the dust was blinding. Wondered if jaw was any better.

I have not really used this off road. I carry it around all the time, but by dusk I really want a cold beverage in my hand and my butt in a chair. However I like to think I'm prepared if I need to ride after dark.

CiD

I now have 5 of these lights and the mounts for sale. I've made 25 mounts but only bought 5 lights to gage interest. This is probably the easiest and least expensive helmet light set you can buy. Not included is the GoPro plastic mounts, but If you have a GoPro you will have everything you need. If you don't own a GoPro you can buy just the mounts from them off ebay.

Light comes with battery, charger and aluminum adapter for $60.00

Covered in Light

After talking with Goofy Footer I made this simple set up to go in my GoPro mount. Very bright and the light is only about $30.00 on EBay.

IMG_0281_zpsd7e682d7.jpg[/uR
L]
[url=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/chrisnelson55/media/IMG_0287_zpsf24ca596.jpg.html]IMG_0287_zpsf24ca596.jpg

CiD

I now have 5 of these lights and the mounts for sale. I've made 25 mounts but only bought 5 lights to gage interest. This is probably the easiest and least expensive helmet light set you can buy. Not included is the GoPro plastic mounts, but If you have a GoPro you will have everything you need. If you don't own a GoPro you can buy just the mounts from them off ebay.

Light comes with charger and aluminum adapter for $60.00

Covered in Light

CiD

Is the light plug and play with a battery pack? What battery pack are you using with this light? Can you provide link? Any idea on run time?

The kit comes with the battery pack. I'm not sure how long it will run on a full charge but will test soon and report. I rode with this set up in Utah last year for about an hour and the light was awesome.

CiD

post-15323-0-79516800-1437277273_thumb.j

23 bucks on Amazon. Used their existing mount with zip ties. Velcroed my original battery pack to my Camelbak and lost it in the Sierras. Replaced it for $16.

Though I leave it mounted to my helmet, I've only used it a couple times. This one is a spot beam (Amazon has floods too). It definitely helps. I found the top mount reflected dust like crazy. Jaw mount was much better.

Cheers.

To the question of on top of the helmet or chin guard mount. I couldn't take the top mount, the dust was blinding (kind of like snow blind). Chin mount works good.

Thread Resurrection! Anybody have any current info on good lights? I'll be running theses on bike power so I'm looking for 12v. Thinking about trying these out, one on each chin bar. I hope to run a wire from the "dash" to the helmet. Any Ideas on a "breakaway" connection?

Cyclops-extreme-Racer-LED-helmet-light-s

Just got the cyclops helmet light not the double but single and works great for me, look into motominded they have new 3d molded and breakaway plugs and magnets for lots of popular helmets

I saw this on another site. Bought the Baja Design S2 Pro yesterday. 2450 lumens, crazy bright. I’m going to make a chin mount to go with the top mount and see which I like better. Run time should be about 4 hours with the battery I’m using.

7AB6BCE2-D091-4B30-905F-5C8108523BCB.jpeg

0FA1718E-D09A-42DB-B0E1-19231F62A182.jpeg

CID do you have a link to the battery / harness / mount? 

I find the chin mount works well as your eyes are above the light.  Dusty conditions with a helmet light sucks in general however.  ymmv