Goofy Footer

Great Turnout for Dana's Memorial Ride June 14-15th

Per KTMrad's request, I'm starting a Ride Report for Dana's Memorial Ride.

Great turnout, lots of smiles and everything was super positive. I'm glad to have attended the ride. Special thanks to Sondra for organizing the ride, Ken for leading many small bikes, Arnie for leading the big bikes, Tracy for his service and everybody for coming, being apart of the ride, sharing in the Baja spirit and making Dana proud with a few braaps along the way!

Photo taken by PaulMBowers:

14420037951_aed9da8701_h.jpg

I didn't take many pics because I was on the move most of the day. I rode down with BillP, Bruce, Kato & Beaumont Paco; it was a very fun ride with rocky hill climbs, long sections of deep sand whoops and great scenery. We came across one new locked gate but there is a nice workaround, we just need to take note of it in the future.

Bruce and Beaumont Paco continued towards Mike's Sky Rancho after the service and lunch while BillP, Kato and I rode back to Tecate. We ate some tasty pork tacos in Tecate before crossing over (which was a breeze). I was happily impressed by the little WR250F. I wish I could have geared up for the transit sections but it didn't complain while I revved it home. I got a big blister on my throttle hand as I've been off the bike for a while. It was a bumpy ride, I got home and checked my tire pressure 30psi front, 32psi rear haha, well... at least I didn't get any pinch flats! Thanks for the ride guys.

My pics of the service

post-14322-0-46493400-1402867895_thumb.j

post-14322-0-35542000-1402867906_thumb.j

Ride on Dana!

That's great. I'm glad it went well!

What a great group of folks paying tribute to a brother who is missed dearly. Excellent time remembering Dana.

A couple more photos to share...

This first photo gives you a good idea of how many bikes were there...a lot. Also posted a pic from Mike's and the motorcycle recovery effort from the rider who crashed about 1/2 mile from Mike's and walked in the rest of the way...

Good time riding with Arnie, Todd, Bruce and Paco down to Mikes.

post-15604-0-63507700-1402878111_thumb.j

post-15604-0-99084500-1402878217_thumb.j

post-15604-0-96840100-1402878246_thumb.j

post-15604-0-12142500-1402878275_thumb.j

Glad you all had an awesome ride and made it home safe.

Nice turn out.... I look forward to heading down there... sometime in Nov...

Nice lead in and photos Goofy. I was honored to be able to participate. The pics already posted at the memorial sight are superior to mine so I'll move on.......

The road into Mike's:

299_zps63655bb1.jpg

Misc. Mikes

Sun-in-eyes selfie with Rigga and Sondra

307_zpsb234a5c9.jpg

Pretty damn relaxing to park/chillax around the pool......smell the steaks on the grill

300_zps780b729b.jpg

301_zps2acedead.jpg

Cerveza12 looking VERY relaxed at Mike's

308_zps570d6116.jpg

Getting ready to bail this morning:

310_zpsef866455.jpg

We went up and out the back way......lot's of rocks/ruts....even a stream

311_zpsfbed7860.jpg

Beer Boy (Cerveza12) and I said goodbye to Rigga, Mtn Man, and a few others at Valley T and headed back up the slab to Compadre with a couple of new/like minded friends while Rigga lead the crew back up to Saw Mill, etc.

314_zps6cd09796.jpg

We stopped off for Taco's in Tecate before jumping across a surprisingly light border crossing......special & fun weekend wrapped into one....

Ride on in peace Dana

313_zps316d83a3.jpg

Thanks to the minister and friends who spoke. Just the right amount of non-religion, religion and memories. Good job! I did not know Dana previously but now I do.... and glad to be one of the 35 bikes lined up in the peaceful pines.

IMG_0961_zps1ac0c87a.jpg

IMG_0958_zps6c86d1c4.jpg

Also, thanks to all who organized and to Bubbagums for leading me down to sawmill and back.

IMG_0957_zpsef0a2ea9.jpg

My first ride in Baja was awsome. Rocks, sand, whoops, forest and dogs. Easy to see why Dana loved this special place. I was having too much fun to take pictures until I saw the horses at the lake and had to stop. Thanks to Sondra and all who helped put this really nice remembrance together for Dana.

post-14938-0-78644300-1402900126_thumb.j

post-14938-0-53338800-1402900205_thumb.j

post-14938-0-48693800-1402900266_thumb.j

20140614_200005.jpg

What became of this bike? Did it ride out?

Yes, Craig rode back with Cerveza12 (Steve) and me along with his friend Steve. Bike was fine, he just couldn't pull it up out of the ditch by himself.....he was too spent from the days ride and w/in walking distance of Mike's driveway to seek help lifting it....

The bike had a broken clutch lever, but other than that it was okay. It took three of us to pull it/push it back up the hill. Craig got poked by some yucca in the crash but fortunately no serious injuries. He needed some hydration/rest and then was good to go.

The bike had a broken clutch lever, but other than that it was okay. It took three of us to pull it/push it back up the hill. Craig got poked by some yucca in the crash but fortunately no serious injuries. He needed some hydration/rest and then was good to go.

Ok glad the bike and rider made it out for hydration.

SDAR has it's groups within a group that has all kinds of riding types and we do not often get together so it was nice to see everyone get together for Dana. The large bike group had a very scenic and relaxing ride from La Rumorosa where many left after lunch to go home. Todd, Mike (Mikey777) and I picked up Paco and Bruce for the ride to Mike's stopping at the KC Memorial and a quick taco in Valle T. Great time at Mikes and an easy ride home up Compadre then took a 25 mile trail headed west to a little town on Hwy 3 about 8 miles south of Tecate for.....tacos!

2014-06-14+10.33.17.jpg

Nice job Tracy (SP?) and Sondra

2014-06-14+10.39.54.jpg

The new marker

2014-06-14+11.31.21.jpg

Mike always ready to roll!

2014-06-14+08.16.38.jpg

Todd contemplating his next great lunch

2014-06-14+11.57.40.jpg

Another fallen rider remembered....

2014-06-14+13.58.55.jpg

CID, UncleChamp and I beelined for the border after the service- had other commitments at home. Decently-paced ride to Rumorosa, then smooth paved libre road almost to Tecate, until I stopped to pick up a souvenir with my back tire.

Quick roadside change, and we were out.

post-399-0-07616100-1402941517_thumb.jpe

...... took a 25 mile trail headed west to a little town on Hwy 3 about 8 miles south of Tecate for.....tacos!

That sounds like the way we came in Sat morning.......did you eat at that taco stand right where the dirt/pavement intersect?

I had planned to return that same way but Craig (TE250) and Steve (CRF250L) both have two gallon gas tanks so we headed up Compadre to play it safe/find a Pemex near El Hongo. They each left Valley T with a jug of gas which they dumped in after the ~40 mile slab ride up from Valley T but it was still going to be close as to whether that would take them all the way to the trucks......

SDAR has its groups within a group that has all kinds of riding types and we do not often get together so it was nice to see everyone get together for Dana. The large bike group had a very scenic and relaxing ride from La Rumorosa where many left after lunch to go home. Nice job Tracy (SP?) and Sondra.

Thanks to you, Arnie, for leading the big bikes. And to Ken for leading the tech ride.

Arnie wrote the big bikes had...

scenic and relaxing ride from La Rumorosa

Half truth. Full truth...Arnie rides like a bat out of hell on his big ass bike.

I would really like to thank everyone that came out to honor and celebrate Dana Neisler's life. If you didn't know Dana, he was a gregarious, humble person with an infectious smile. Dana would have been incredibly moved to see 42 riders cross the border to finish his ride. The ride groups showed up in increments, the family arrived and 5 minutes later the last group arrived to the memorial location. It was like clockwork, we weren't sure we could put the Baja puzzle together so easily.
Tracy King lead an excellent service, which captured Dana's spirit. The group continued on the to the Saw Mill where SanDii Romeroo Arcee and her family prepared a wonderful meal for the riders. They went all out and we truly appreciate it. Most riders and family continued on to Mike's Sky Ranch, were 35 of us enjoyed another fine Baja meal and time to reflect on Dana's life.

When the planning first began, I told his parents to expect maybe 15-20 riders max. Jerry Neisler made this comment about the ride and the ride communities support, " I am totally amazed and overwhelmed by how this came to be. My family deeply appreciates all the effort that all of the people who came to this Memorial put in to make this happen. Love you all and will never forget."

As Dan Diego said " Dana would've enjoyed the camaraderie and most excellent Baja riding in his honor." Special thanks to Ken Kugel, Arnie Fry, Tracy King, SanDii Romeroo Arcee, Dan Diego, DS Fox, Mikes Sky Rancho and thank you to the ride community, it was an impressive turnout for an amazing Baja Brother.

Ride in Peace Dana Neisler, you are dearly missed.

Please excuse me if I have forgotten anyone, I am still processing it all. We have extra ride stickers if you would like some.

Great group of riders honoring Dana. I took lots of pictures and gopro. I will update this post as I go through all of it.

IMGP0126.jpg

IMGP0127.jpg

IMGP0132.jpg

It is BAJA, you don't need a plate.

IMGP0130.jpg

IMGP0137.jpg

IMGP0136.jpg

IMGP0138.jpg

IMGP0139.jpg

More to come....