The AMA Pro Motocross series kicks off today at Glen Helen in Riverside.

Big news in the 450cc class is that defending champion Ryan Villopoto will not be racing as he just had knee surgery to repair an ACL? issue he had. 2013 Canadian Motocross Champion Brett Metcalf will take his place on factory Kawi. Mike Alessi has stated that he will be riding in the Canadian series instead of the US series. The 450 title is up for grabs and should make for a very exciting season between Dungey, Stewart, Reed, Roczen and possibly Canard.

In the 250cc class, darkhorse and former motocross championship runner-up and two time supercross champion Christophe Pourcel returns to racing and wants to contend with former champs Blake Bagget and Dean Wilson for the title. Jason Anderson just signed for a 2015 Husqvarna deal (yes you read that correctly, they are returning to Supercross/Motocross next year) and he looks to be another competitor, coming off his Supercross West Championship.

MXSports-1.jpg

Pretty epic opening round to the series.

450 Moto 1 - started out with underdog Josh Grant on Joe Gibbs Racing Yamaha taking the lead first lap. He is a socal native and fighting to keep his ride for next year as he is in a "contract year." He hadn't won a moto since 2010 and was while he has experience at Glen Helen he was not expected to be out front. Ken Roczen on Factory KTM tried to chase him down and it literally came down to the last turn of the race with Josh Grant narrowly holding off Roczen for the Moto 1 win. It must have been pretty nuts to see it live.

250 Moto 1 - second year pro Alex Martin on Star Racing Yamaha surprised many by taking the lead in lap one and simply checking out. He had a 20 second lead or something ridiculous like that. Title favorites Blake Baggett, Dean Wilson, Christopher Pourcel, et all were stuck mid-pack. Martin's teammate at Start Racing Yamaha, Cooper Webb, followed Martin into second place.

450 Moto 2 - Phenomenal race between Ken Roczen and Factory KTM teammate Ryan Dugney! Roczen lead the entire race and Dungey followed in very close pursuit. Dungey read Roczen's line choices and slowly reeled in Roczen over the last lap and put a great pass on his teammate 100 yards from the finish. Roczen went 2-2 for the day and Dungey won the overall at 3-1.

250 Moto 2 - Alex Martin show once again, he checked out and dominated in surprise fashion. Cooper Webb came in second again.

Random fact: Dungey and Martin are both from Minnesota and train at Carmichael's ranch.

450 first turn

76588_misc-glenhelen-cudby-387.jpg

Josh Grant in moto 1

76560_grant2.jpg

I wasn't going to be the spoiler, but Dungey surprised me; when he got caught up in lappers, I figured it was over. Aggressive but clean pass on a teammate for the overall. Good job by the Golden Boy. You know Roczen had a rough night after that finish. I look forward to some more good racing...canard, reed, Stewart, barcia need to keep the bikes running and push hard, but there's lots of racing left to do....

I wasn't going to be the spoiler, but Dungey surprised me; when he got caught up in lappers, I figured it was over. Aggressive but clean pass on a teammate for the overall. Good job by the Golden Boy. You know Roczen had a rough night after that finish. I look forward to some more good racing...canard, reed, Stewart, barcia need to keep the bikes running and push hard, but there's lots of racing left to do....

I didn't want to be a spoiler either but it's Tuesday night already! Yea Roczen has to be bummed, he lost both races by a combined 10 feet at the finish line!

Stewart ran into the back of Canard when Canard checked up in Moto 1. Reed is working himself back into shape from his accident/shoulder surgery from the SD Supercross. Barcia (and apparently Short) both broke chains in Moto 2.

Did you see Deano's injury I posted? Wildwood has to be bummed - Dean will be out the remainder of the series and it looks plain Nasty! At least he just signed his Factory KTM 450 contract before the season started smileys-money-702364.gif

The Hangtown Classic is this weekend just outside Sacramento

It's pretty interesting that the track is in a SVRA. Kind of cool that it's a national event.

s780_96637840_1274504589.jpg?1294276027

hangtown-aerial-view.jpg

Media Day Today - Chad Reed

76785_30ej0317.jpg

Glen Helen was EPIC and we got to watch the starts from the pits and finishes at the finish line. It was really fun to meet a bunch of the riders too. Roczen, Dungey, Canard, Stewart, Grant, and the Legend Roger DeCoster.

Glen Helen was EPIC and we got to watch the starts from the pits and finishes at the finish line. It was really fun to meet a bunch of the riders too. Roczen, Dungey, Canard, Stewart, Grant, and the Legend Roger DeCoster.

Very cool. Let's see some pics of the race!

Who are you rooting for in the series?

I remember forums discussions of J-Law at the time, with a bunch of people saying "he's just a kid blowing off steam"...I said, "No, he's on the verge of two extremes; world class professional athlete or no-future thug".....he chose poorly........

As for the other stuff; love their disclaimer- some of this may come true or it may not...

WOW only 1 red bike in the top ten. :(

Results

450 Class

1. Ken Roczen (KTM) 2-1

2. James Stewart (Suz) 1-3

3. Ryan Dungey (KTM) 4-2

4. Trey Canard (Hon) 3-4

5. Josh Grant (Yam) 5-6

6. Brett Metcalfe (Kaw) 9-5

7. Malcolm Stewart (Suz) 7-8

8. Andrew Short (KTM) 6-9

9. Weston Peick (Suz) 10-7

10. Jake Weimer (Kaw) 8-12

Was talking to one of Barcias competitors towards the end of the supercross season and he stated clearly that Honda gave Barcia the boot.

?

Well; that's not really fair...didn't he win a moto? as a rookie? Now; he's not exactly keeping up with Roczen, but he did all right against other rookies

The big story in the 250 class has been the domination by the Star Yamaha Team, specifically Jeremy Martin who has won 5 of 6 motos run this season. Look how upset J. Martin is after getting 3rd OA at Thunder Valley! He is motivated to win the 250cc championship. The most nutty thing about his MX domination is that he didn't even Qualify for the first two Supercross events (he went on to win the last one of the season however). Cooper Webb, J.Martin's teammate raced him pretty hard this weekend at Thunder Valley - George did you see this? What are your thoughts?

jeremy-martin-250-moto-1-hangtown-rice-6

Hangtown Rd 2 250cc Podium: Christophe Pourcel (3rd place Valli Yamaha), Jeremy Martin (1st place Star Yamaha) and Cooper Webb (2nd place Star Yamaha)

O_M_14_35_82199_medium1.jpg

Thunder Valley Podium - Justin Bogle (2nd pl Geico Honda), Blake Baggett (1st Pro Circuit Kawi), Jeremy Martin (3rd Star Yamaha)

full_GUYB9891_67912.jpg?1402241450

TVMX2-600x400.jpg

James Stewart scrubbed his way to victory in Moto 1 of the 450cc race at Thunder Valley. Four moto winners in 6 motos is good for the fans!

james-stewart-450-moto-1-thunder-valley-

He was under pressure much of the moto. He seems a tad off the pace of the Factory KTM duo of Roczen and Dungey but he made it to the checkered flag first!

james-stewart-450-moto-1-thunder-valley-

Ken Roczen is establishing himself as the man to beat in the 450cc class, followed closely behind by his teammate Ryan Dungey.

Roczen-Thunder-Valley-action.jpg

Trey Canard also ran well but may have overspent his energy trying to fight challengers and once he got passed he dropped a few spots.

start_450_moto_2_thunder_valley_crosland

OA: Stewart 2nd, Roczen 1st, Dungey 3rd

podium_450_moto_2-_thunder_valley_rice_0

Was talking to one of Barcias competitors towards the end of the supercross season and he stated clearly that Honda gave Barcia the boot.

?

According to the PulpMX show, it is alleged that Barcia snuffed Honda. Apparently he went off and signed with Joe Gibbs Racing without really talking to Honda (which apparently is a big no no, especially for powerhouse HRC). I believe they have the right to match contracts but cannot keep a rider if a rider wants to leave (ala Ken Roczen leaving KTM for RCH Suzuki).

Barcia has been pretty critical about the current generation Honda 450R platform (as was Chad Reed). Barcia is quick no doubt but seemed a bit off during this past Supercross. By all accounts, he will be the top rider at JGR next year so hopefully that is a better fit for him. Honda still has Trey Canard, Eli Tomac (when he returns from injury) and smooth Cole Seely will be riding 450s next year too.

This incident was entertaining and both riders got support from their respective fan groups.

btw I just read that Barcia is injured and will be out the remainder of the Pro Motocross season!

Cooper Webb - Glen Helen Spotlight

Hangtown:

Trey Canard - Hangtown spotlight:

Thunder Valley:

Cole Seely - Thunder Valley spotlight