Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

Chariot Fire - BLM officer 2013 statement

Summary of CDF report findings:

On Saturday, July 6, 2013, at approximately 1:01 PM, the San Diego Unit (MVU) of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) responded to a wildland fire located near the base of Cottonwood Canyon southwest of 14925 Great Southern Overland Stage Route near the community of Julian, CA. It was determined the fire had at least four General Origin Areas (GOA). GOA 1, 2, and 3 eventually burned together to become the Chariot fire. Ultimately the fire would consume a total of 7,055 acres and destroyed 122 residential structures, 29 outbuildings and 66 vehicles.

It is my opinion the Chariot fire is related to one of four possible causes. The fire originated from the vehicle described by Philip TOWNE, that no further information was developed; the fire originated from the persons of the vehicle described by TOWNE. that no further information was developed: the fire originated from the vehicle driven by Jason PETERS going through tall brush, either dropping burning brush into a receptive fuel bed, or a potential failed fuel line spreading fire on a receptive fuel bed and finally due to the unwillingness of PETERS to provide me a written statement and his unwillingness for an interview, fire originated by PETERS cannot be eliminated.

Image23_zpsf67188a8.jpg

BLM Field Officer Jason Peters, July 17, 2013 incident report:

On July 5th I picked up an unmarked Jeep from the El Centro Field Office. My primary marked law enforcement vehicle was in the shop for transmission repairs. I was directed by supervising Ranger Ian Canaan to use this vehicle for the holiday weekend.

I did a safety walk around the vehicle before driving away. This included a visual inspection of the windows, body, headlight and tail light covers. I activated the emergency lights, which worked and I did a test of the mobile radio.

On July 6th, 2013 at about 0730hrs. I began my patrol day. I drove to the Ramco gas station in Julian. I filled up the gas tank. I checked the oil. The oil was darker which suggested to me it would need an oil change soon. The oil fill level was at the low end of the acceptable range. I made a mental note to consider an oil change later in the week

I left the gas station and conducted patrols in the Chariot and Rodriguez canyons. I drove off the designated route in Rodriguez Canyon following a set of recent tracks in the General Fire bum area. Most of the vegetation in this area was previously burned, but I did follow the tracks into a brush covered area. Dead and downed twigs and branches littered the ground and the standing brush was irregular. I maneuvered a tight tum around with at least two forward and reverse maneuvers. I backed over some of the brush in the process. There was no vehicle.

I then went to an abandoned mine. This road is steep and very rocky. When I placed the vehicle's transmission into four wheel drive the transition did not go smoothly. It took three attempts to get the four wheel drive transmission co engage.

I went to Chariot Canyon and patrolled for target shooters. I checked all of the target shooting areas some of which required to me to leave the designated route and drive into knee high vegetation.

After finishing this patrol, I went to the San Felipe Wilderness Study Area along San Diego County Road S-2. I monitored traffic and then checked Jardine spring. The road to this area also contains knee high brush vegetation. The road is not often used. I drove around what I could.

I left this area to patrol the Sawtooth Wilderness and Wilderness Study Area. Prior to arriving at the Butterfield Ranch, I observed a smoke column in the area of Cottonwood Canyon. I called into dispatch I observed what appeared to be a wildland fire and to please advise San Diego fire dispatch. I arrived at a gate which is adjacent to the Butterfield Stage Coach Stop campground. The gate was closed but the padlock was missing. I opened the gate and left it open as I drove into the area.

I observed a smoke column which may be consistent with a fire in the distance. At about 12:50hrs, I entered the area to search for any suspects whom may have started the fire. I drove to an area where a "Y" intersection is. The fire appeared like it was coming from someplace off the left route. The vegetation is dense on the left route. I thought it would be a bad idea to go that way. I took the right route. The right route leads to a turnabout at the area known as the rock house. I did not have any fire PPE because it was in my primary patrol vehicle. I quickly decided I should evacuate the area start the investigation, and provide access to incoming fire fighters.

I drove quickly through high brush to a seldom used dirt road. There was vegetation consisting of sticks and branches lying on the road. I drove quickly in and quickly out. I drove over the brush and vegetation. I partially drove over at least two large standing bushes with live and dead branches. The branches extended to the ground and brush was about the size of two trash cans standing next to each other. I partially ran over these while trying to drive and operate the radio in this unfamiliar vehicle.

I exited through the open gate. At about l305hrs. I drove my patrol vehicle into the parking lot on the Butterfield Ranch Campground. I stopped to begin an investigation for the observed wildland fire. I parked my vehicle parallel to the building about ten feel away from the front door. I parked my vehicle and left it running while I walked inside. The vehicles engine was at a high idle when I walked away from it.

I walked inside the building and said hello. No one answered and I saw an open door to what looked like a store room. I opened the door and again said hello. No one answered. I walked back outside to my patrol vehicle. My attention was drawn to the undercarriage of the Jeep. I saw orange flames. I looked in the cargo area and found a small fire extinguisher.

I discharged the fire extinguisher but it did not stop the flames. Employees from the ranch brought three other fire extinguishers and garden hoses. I discharged the other fire extinguishers but it did not stop the flames. Employees tried to pull and push my vehicle away from the ranch store. The vehicle did not move.

Using garden hoses I was able to dampen the flames until the fire department arrived to suppress the fire. I notified Supervisor Ian Canaan. He told me to take pictures, and wait to tow the vehicle until he was on scene.

I did so and he arrived on scene later. I was able to remove all of my guns and other gear from the vehicle. No equipment was damaged or lost in the fire. I was not injured. I know this vehicle had some mechanical issues in the past.

While the fire fighters were attacking the vehicle fire a woman whom I knew as Carla Fualkner approached me and told me her husband saw a vehicle leaving the fire scene. She described the vehicle as a dark colored pick-up.

On July 7th, 2013 I talked with Carla Faulkner and her husband Phillip Towne at their residence. Towne told me that at about 1:20pm he saw a dark colored pick-up driving around what they called the knob. He said it was definitely a dark colored pick-up. I know your vehicles (BLM) are white and this vehicle was defiantly not one of yours.

End of Report

Image10_zps5d27e204.jpg

Image11_zpsfa233381.jpg

Image16_zps44817eb8.jpg

Full report is here:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/downloads/fire_reports/Chariot%20Fire%20Investigation%20Report%20_Redacted.pdf