Stefansu91

New rider in Oceanside – Need some advice

Hi all!

So I moved to California 3 months ago for work. I’m 23 years old, working as a Gemologist at GIA. I’m from Costa Rica and used to ride every weekend. I owned a KTM 350 EXC-F which I had to sell for obvious reasons. It’s been a while and I’m extremely thirsty for some dirt. I consider myself an intermediate rider and nowhere near expert. I currently own a sports car which I’m trying to sell soon and buying a Tacoma + dual sport/enduro bike.

I do have a couple of questions…

First off, which would be the best bike? The reason I’m getting a pickup is to haul the bike, so my first option would be another KTM 350 or close to that. I never rode big bikes and I’m wondering if it would be such a hard transition. At some point in life I hope to get a 990 Adventure, but that’s in the future. I've been thinking about a 500 for longer rides and all, but is there really much difference in weight and power between a 500 and a 350? The 350 was pretty much all the power I could want.

Secondly, what are good bike dealerships around Oceanside? Hoping for a place where I can find many used bikes to choose from. Interested in Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, etc. Dual sport/Enduro.

Third, Dual sport or Enduro? Can I haul a KLR 650 on a Tacoma Prerunner for example? I would still lean towards enduro but I’m open to suggestions.

Type of rider: I really enjoy a beautiful scene while riding. Exploring California is one of my wishes! I also love fun rides with some challenging sections. Basically anything dirt wise that can make my rear tire go loose!

Hope to ride with you guys soon enough!

First off, welcome. Second, go see David Nelson, GG, in the lab at GIA. He has my old V-Strom and rode a variety of terrain on his DR650 prior to that. Oh yeah, he's my son. :lmaosmiley:

A lot of variables in your post, but having a street legal bike is best for CA areas as it opens up a lot more riding and gets you out on the back roads. While the KTM has the performance, most owners seem to shy away from burning into the maintenance time limits on the road. Some here have DRZ-400's and if I had to do all of my bike purchases/sales/try this/sell/buy that again, I'd just get one and mod it to my taste. Most don't come with a kicker but the nice thing is, one can be added. A good backup to the E-Start.

I have a DR650 for it's ability to do almost anything. I don't like riding sand on it though there are folks on here that are successful. I bought a DRZ-250 for tight trails and simplicity - same as the DR - air/oil cooled.

The DRZ-400 isn't the newest high tech performance bike, but it's reliable and can be ridden anywhere. The Toyota won't have a problem with it - or the KLR.

There are new member friendly rides periodically where you may be able to get a taste of a few different bikes.

North County Dealerships - I'll let others comment as I'm not familiar.

See ya out there!

I've loaded my KLR into my truck 3 times...it sucked each time. It's a pig...I really consider it an entry adventure/commuter bike, not a real dual sport- My DRZ, on the other hand, is a very good dual sport, while not excelling anywhere.

If you want real dirt performance get a green sticker dirt bike or a Ktm if youmust have a plate (which I DO suggest...ABdSP)

This is going to be fun. I had a KLR and put in my Toyota 4 door short bed many times. I also really like my KTM 520 with plate.

If you enjoyed riding your 350 you should stay away from the big pigs. It can be done on dirt but it's not nearly as much fun. Welcome.

Vacman is right...I rode 30 years ago, and my re-entry bike was a DR350- I thought it was awesome...you're the other way; you've ridden a great dirt bike, and most Jap dual sports will disappoint

Stefan,

Welcome to the group. You will find a wealth of diverse opinion among our voices. As stated, you already know an excellent dirtbike. Now you need to decide if you want a street motor or a competition motor. If you want to camp off the truck and explore, the 350 is as good as it gets. If you want to tour and camp off the bike, you will give up performance. The perfect One Bike is the 690 KTM. :-)

SandBagger

i-JRjqTvC-L.jpg

Thanks everyone for the responses!

TrophyHunter,

Hah! Funny how small the world is. I've heard V-Strom is a pretty good bike. I'll consider the DRZ as well. Is KTM's maintenance expensive here? Thanks.

Bikeslut,

Yea man... I think loading a big bike would not be very nice. I'm probably gonna stay away from that for a while.

Socalhodaka,

How different would it be to ride a 520 vs the 350?? That's my main concern

Vacman,

I will follow your advice!

Bagstr,

My thoughts are travel with the bike on my truck, and then find a trail and ride it. So the 350 still sounds like my best and first option. And like I asked Socalhodaka, What are the cons and pros of a 690 against the 350? and how much different would it be to ride between the two?

That picture! Where is that located??

Thanks again guys hope to be riding soon enough.

690 weighs 40 kilos more and is not what you want if you're going to ride out of the back of a truck. The 690 is for riding an hour or two to the trails, riding the trails, and then riding home. An awesome bike but not the tool for the job you're describing.

Id stick with a street legal ktm or husky if you want to spend a lot or an older plated dirtbike if you want to spend less. If you give us more idea of your perfect bike and budget we can be of more help.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro.html

also your size and weight...I had a WR450F w plate, but unfortunately it was just too small for me.

The DRZ is too tall for some folks....and too heavy for sissies...

Ok so my budget I don't know yet. But I would probably like to stay around 7k. I think KTM's 350 was at about 9k last time I checked? I might go that high considering it's the bike I'd like. A husky would be awesome too (love the colors). I weigh around 170 lbs. 5'11. The reason I like light bikes is cause I can do way more with them and have more fun so yeah, I'd rather stay light.

Also, how are things in California going for two strokes? I really love the way the ride and even prefer them over four strokes. Comparing to a 350, would you say a 250 would do? or would the 300 be more similar. Back home, I heard a lot of people where just selling them 300's cause they were just too much... Don't know about this though since I never rode one before.

And yes. My job description would be hauling the bike to nice off roads with amazing views and riding from there for a couple hours to 4 hours average. Oh.. and how are things with leaving the pickup in kind of random places for riding? Are there other people or designated spots where you can leave your truck? Is it dangerous at all?

You guys have been really helpful. Thanks a lot. Hopefully you're like me and just enjoy talking about it :heh:

I don't worry about "dangerous" places in CA, especially for day trips.......i think day use are only as safe as can be expected....i had a ramp and moto-stand stolen in Big Bear, but that's it. California is not great for 2 stroke aficionados... red sticker bikes will limit your riding. A plated KTM350 or 500 sounds awesome... i'm a huge fan of plated bikes for exploring the desert, connecting trails, and taking bail-outs when needed. I ride most Sundays and would be glad to take you out, show you some of my favorite areas, etc.

Looking at the Husaberg TE 250 as a primary. Maybe the TE 300 depending on what your thoughts are on difference between them and the 350 4 stroke.

Ah, I see... So four stroke would be a better choice.

Hey that sounds awesome. I'm new in CA and have no idea where to go. Would be grateful for some nice areas!