kkug

K.O.R.E. Mystery Tour #2

KUG off road events :heh:

Thank you to the dozen or so desert travelers that participated in the second edition of the traveling circus.

We got to meet some new riders ( all the way from Canada and from far eastern desert lands ) and and got to meet some SDAR members that we only see once in awhile .

Yes the conga ling was long but with radios we did not loose anyone. We had some major breakdowns but in the end I think everybody made it home.

Fun times when we finally made it to the campsite in the dark. We had a fire going ,cooking up some carne asada , and some beverages ,plenty of BS to go around. Perfect weather,nice temps, and the wind died down when we got our tents all set up.

170 miles of some new and old trail. This was cut short by some of the bike problems.

Thanks again .

Gas Domes

IMG_20140322_141541_405-L.jpg

Seeking shade after Oil Well Wash

IMG_20140322_150035_301-L.jpg

Gas It please !!!!

IMG_20140323_185433-L.jpg

Cooked till midnite !

IMG_20140323_185648-L.jpg

Dam fuel injected bikes :grrr: ( but we better learn on how to work on them )

IMG_20140323_100540_186-L.jpg

Hats off to Rick ? SDAR member from Niland. He was on a DR 650 and rode everything on Day 1 ( miles and miles of sandwashes ) and I don,t think he even broke a sweat !

We only had one Tree at the campsite

i-MpbJxq6-L.jpg

i-FP8fjm3-L.jpg

i-8LcgDQ4-L.jpg

I am developing an opinion regarding Exploring new trails with camp gear on-board.

Bike maintenance is a very important aspect on remote travel. Preferably before the ride.

:shiftyeyes_anim:

Bike maintenance is a very important aspect on remote travel. Preferably before the ride.

:shiftyeyes_anim:

Reliance on others for "full service/fork seals/front brake service/general bike maintenance and inspection" after a long Baja trip can be costly in terms of both $ and outcome/enjoyment if the bike is handed over in sub standard condition.....I'll leave it at that.

That was a great trip, thanks for putting it together! It is funny that out of 12 riders we were all roughly at the same skill level. I am glad to have met some of the people I see on line.

Steve

I was excited/ancy and ready to roll long before our 11:30am meetup time........

8FCA6679-5A93-4731-B21A-C7D0DB0D85CC_zps

I lost the fire log after the ~543rd whoop through Ocotillo Smells.......discovered the loss at the intersection of Cross Over Trail and Tectonic Gorge....

FE482A37-8B9F-42D0-871F-C5B07E6F5AB9_zps

On to the Gas Domes

57949D34-9E64-41A5-BF8C-C9CB70C62965_zps

Then it happened......out on Forrester Road by Superstition........front brake caliper literally fell off.....I could've easily cartwheeled but luckily I only broke a few spokes........the fact that I was traveling around ~60mph at the time may have actually helped........if the caliper fell off/swung into my spokes at slow speed it might've gotten stuck in there/flipped me over.......

So we zip tied some spokes and zip tied the brake caliper to my bark busters. Then I rode the ~60(?) miles back to my truck with no front brake chewing the dusk/farm field bugs.......

6C95A8F2-BB35-4150-BAC0-4C61BFBC50A8_zps

0C242F4A-2CEB-409B-A68F-322A003F466D_zps

Bike hasn't left my truck since Sat night (hard to unload solo with no front brake)......needless to say it's going back to the shop today......

Guest Crusty

I was excited/ancy and ready to roll long before our 11:30am meetup time........

8FCA6679-5A93-4731-B21A-C7D0DB0D85CC_zps

I lost the fire log after the ~543rd whoop through Ocotillo Smells.......discovered the loss at the intersection of Cross Over Trail and Tectonic Gorge....

FE482A37-8B9F-42D0-871F-C5B07E6F5AB9_zps

On to the Gas Domes

57949D34-9E64-41A5-BF8C-C9CB70C62965_zps

Then it happened......out on Forrester Road by Superstition........front brake caliper literally fell off.....I could've easily cartwheeled but luckily I only broke a few spokes........the fact that I was traveling around ~60mph at the time may have actually helped........if the caliper fell off/swung into my spokes at slow speed it might've gotten stuck in there/flipped me over.......

So we zip tied some spokes and zip tied the brake caliper to my bark busters. Then I rode the ~60(?) miles back to my truck with no front brake chewing the dusk/farm field bugs.......

6C95A8F2-BB35-4150-BAC0-4C61BFBC50A8_zps

0C242F4A-2CEB-409B-A68F-322A003F466D_zps

Bike hasn't left my truck since Sat night (hard to unload solo with no front brake)......needless to say it's going back to the shop today......

Sounds like you almost owned this shop.

What was the FI. problem, I am still not sold on FI. on bikes.

We saw these two and later the conga line went by our camp,.

Nice talking to Sic Vic.

Glad some of you had a good ride, we were in search of the MORE technical trails.

1920495_10201317913059088_1632295520_n.j

That was a great trip, thanks for putting it together! It is funny that out of 12 riders we were all roughly at the same skill level. I am glad to have met some of the people I see on line.

Steve

Likewise. It really was a fun group/good times. What made it really fun was the "Mystery" aspect.........sometimes our route was even a mystery to our leader :heh: (and I wouldn't have it any other way)

Another weekend...another ADVENTURE! :lmaosmiley: Finally got to ride with Kkug on one of his mystery tours and it was great. The cast of characters:

Kkug - KTM

CID - KTM

Bagstr - KTM

Crawdaddy - KTM

Tree - KTM

Beez - KTM

Curtis - KTM

DirtDiver - KTM

SicVic - KTM

Rick - Suzuki - from Imperial Valley

Leif - BMW - from Canada!

Dress4Less - Yamaha

Ready to rock from the Ranger Station

photo1_zps3e9101ed.jpg

photo2_zps4696711c.jpg

At the Mud Domes

photo3_zpscfa31678.jpg

Met up with CID and Leif...is CID psoing like the guy behind him in the poster on the sign? :coolio:

photo4_zps7d95cca5.jpg

Beez, Bagstr and Crawdaddy

photo5_zps297c7345.jpg

Crawdaddy "let it all hang out" at ~60 mph! :ohno02:

photo7_zps9697f64b.jpg

The deep sand was "work" for Curtis and the big KTM...but, he ultimately won the battle :smile_anim:

photo9_zpsc07279e0.jpg

Sunrise Sunday

photo12_zps9b855ff4.jpg

Camp Dress4Less

photo11_zpsdae6c21a.jpg

Wide angle view of camp Sunday morning...see the windmills in the background? Not a creature was stirring...

photo14_zpsd9f8ed18.jpg

Until this little guys decided to slither into camp and get cozy up against Kku'g rear tire! :lmaosmiley:

photo15_zps7fe25a0f.jpg

photo19_zps1e5596a6.jpg

CID in the distance

photo16_zpsce12ff38.jpg

Breakfast spot Sunday morning...it says "no parking do not block gas lanes" but, no pumps...so we parked in the shade where Curtis did a little work on his fuel system

photo18_zps29195e71.jpg

photo17_zpsb5648932.jpg

It was great meeting and riding with the crew. Thanks for the tour Kug! Looking forward to the next ADVENTURE. :smile_anim:

Chris

Chris - glad you came out of that potential BIG problem okay. I'm sure you've had a chance to count to 10 a few times before landing at the shop. FI has been delivering good fueling to many bikes but when the problems crop up (Bagstr Throttle Position Sensor - I think - and another riders fuel pump on the KKug nomystery'ceptRiggahadwaytoomuchfoodandalcoholwaitingforus ride) it's a ride stopper.

Glad all had fun while there.

Thanks for letting me tag along, I had a great time. Been reading the forum for a while but just never made it to a ride. As I suspected this is a great group of resourceful folks. Looking forward to the next one. My tarp didn't work , woke up at 2AM shivering so I rode home and from the looks of the visitors it might of been a blessing.

With all the ---- being put into our fuel lately the problems are only going to get worse! Ethanol wreaks havoc!!!

With all the ---- being put into our fuel lately the problems are only going to get worse! Ethanol wreaks havoc!!!

What happened was the fuel line popped off of an aftermarket fuel filter that was installed at a different time. Live and learn. I think we all benefited from this glitch and now we saw what can happen inside a new FI bike .

Thanks for letting me tag along, I had a great time. Been reading the forum for a while but just never made it to a ride. As I suspected this is a great group of resourceful folks. Looking forward to the next one. My tarp didn't work , woke up at 2AM shivering so I rode home and from the looks of the visitors it might of been a blessing.

Thanks for showing up. Mabey some day you can show us around the river area.

Thanks for putting this on kkug. It was a great time with a great group. My first camping trip off the bike but it won't be my last.

Thanks for the great ride group. Curtis, you had a true work out. Glad you were in shape for it. You must have lost 10 lbs in sweat. Good job hanging in there.

Curtis, you had a true work out. Glad you were in shape for it. You must have lost 10 lbs in sweat.

Curtis sweat…….never seen it !!

Was that the fuel pump we swapped out in UT?

Looked like a great trip with a great crowd (including the rattlesnake) - sorry I missed it….

Sorry crawdaddy you had some mechanicals, glad you made it ok

next time wrap some gaffer tape around that log?

"WouldhavelovedtopulloutanothersurprisefortheSDARgang" - next time

PS:

I love the new K.O.R.E. - when do the t-shirts arrive

Curtis, you had a true work out. Glad you were in shape for it. You must have lost 10 lbs in sweat.

Was that the fuel pump we swapped out in UT?

Why didn't you guys "gaffer" that connection in Utah!

Friday night Tracy was going to host a rider from Canada who is riding his BMW 650 Dakar from Canada to Cabo. His plan is to maybe take the ferry from La Paz to the mainland then back to Canada. Tracy had some cooking gigs pop up so I stepped in and took Lief home and put him up in our guest house for the night. In the morning I talked him into coming on the Kug Mystery ride with us so he could get a little dirt experience before heading into Baja. Lief had never ridden a bike in the dirt before. So I loaded my bike along with Kug's and Curtis's into my truck and Lief followed us out to the dez.

Kug giving a quick pre ride talk.

P1040020_zpsb998d888.jpg

As soon as we hit the dirt it was clear the Lief was going to need a little practice in the dirt.

P1040024_zpse23e2a37.jpg

A few minutes later

P1040025_zpsc7129384.jpg

I din't take pictures of his 1st two crashes, and didn't have the heart to take any after this one but he had a few more and it became clear that we should head for the street to get him to the camp spot for the night. So Lief and I headed out on the pavement to Heber while the rest of the conga line made they way thru the desert.

P1040026_zpsf5783eca.jpg

Kug picked a nice spot with good views for a camping spot.

P1040032_zpsd63b9309.jpg

The spot Kug picked was so nice that even a sidewinder and scorpion joined us in camp.

P1040029_zpsd4f9a9ba.jpg

In the morning when Curtis had a little problem with his bike Kug jumped in and gave him a tow for 10 miles or so to where we were going to have breakfast. Curtis got right on fixing his bike while the rest of us enjoyed a good breakfast. In an hour or so Curtis fixed his bike's problem and we were on our way. Lief went the long way around and met us back at the trucks.

P1040037_zps804e6b15.jpg

We loaded up the truck and Lief followed me back to my house. It was about 4 when we got back so we worked on some of the damage his spilled had caused to his bike then I fed him dinner and put him back in the guest house.

P1040045_zps30f40008.jpg

In the morning I took him to North County Yamaha for a new tire and some oil. Then we came back to my house to change the tire, clean his air filter and change his oil also.

P1040046_zpsd7d82e0d.jpg

Finally I fed him some lunch and sent him on his way to Mexico. I think he was starting to get pretty comfortable with me looking after him and it was kind of like a mother bird pushing her baby out of the nest. Lief is a Captain in the Canadian army so I hope he'll be able to look after himself in Mexico. If not I gave him Kug's phone number (just kidding I gave him Tracy's).

IMG_0311_zps4d82eccb.jpg

Covered in Dust

looks like a great time.....I miss my twice/month normal riding schedule.. :tired: .been working WAAAAY too much lately....oh well, I can enjoy through your pics....

Gazing up at the sandy climb with a sharp bend part way up, I found myself in a familiar position — weakest, least-experienced rider on the heaviest bike of the group, trying to clean a difficult section of trail while everyone waited. I’d just completed the second of two unsuccessful attempts which stalled 15 feet short of the crest as my rear trials tire spun freely, embedding itself in the sand. My camelback went dry minutes earlier, and my spare liter was not readily at hand. It was nearing 5PM and we’d been riding miles of deep sandy wash through canyons south of the Salton Sea not far from El Centro for a few hours. This together with the two failed climbs, left me inching toward exhaustion. What was going to happen next?

i-WWPMks6-XL.jpg

Photo by Dress4Less

Luckily for me, no one offered to ride my bike for me, because I think I might have taken them up on the offer. Instead, Vic talked me through what line to take and what I should be doing, and gave me a lot of encouragement. He sounded so convinced I would be able to make it up that I couldn’t help but believe it myself. Collecting myself, I rode the bike down to the flats in the wash and gave the ascent a last once-over, mentally stepping through what needed to be done while the rest watched, pressure on. And twisted the throttle. Things happened in slow motion as I took a good run at the climb. Vic and KKug’s faces flashed by as I carried more speed through the bend, staying on the outside until just before the steep final climb, and feeling the bike lifting me like an elevator over the crest. Hard to put into words how good it felt to prevail. Thank you Vic.

i-s4G5wjp-XL.jpg

Photo by KKug

i-tG829R6-XL.jpg

Vic and Steve on the plateau above the sandy climb.

Here’s where it all started — loading up with CiD and KKug earlier in the day. This would be my first real ride since breaking my ankle on the east side of Salton almost exactly one year ago. You can see the details here: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15367-core-4-kids-with-the-kids/?p=148147

i-zHkstVb-L.jpg

At Ocotillo Wells Ranger Station with Leif. I felt bad for him as I was in his shoes a few years ago riding Red Rocks Canyon before Bar 10, with relatively little dirt experience. I should have been feeling bad for myself. :heh: To the right is Rick, an excellent rider.

i-FF2W44c-L.jpg

Early part of the ride, making sure things aren't falling off the bikes. Vic and I were sporting trials rear tires. Functional but not great in the sand. That's not the reason why I had a slow-speed tip-over in the sand on a turn not more than a quarter mile into the ride.

i-FGh6S5T-L.jpg

The 690, loaded.

i-s2G3s5K-XL.jpg

Tightening things up.

i-qZtTXJB-L.jpg

Just before heading into deeper sand.

i-jDsKbq9-L.jpg

i-9tHtNnF-L.jpg

When you're in a large group, stops are longer, and for unpredictable intervals.

i-c4gCW2C-L.jpg

We took a break in the shade after a long stretch of sandy wash. I didn't fall until I came to a stop on this slope.

i-nwRLDSn-L.jpg

More miles of sandy canyon, the debacle at the sandy bend, combined with Crawdaddy's near-catastrophe with the front brake caliper took us into dusk. The pole line road we took after the sandy bend was not exactly easy cruising -- there were a number of fairly deep washouts and I bottomed out my forks on one of them, but never lost it.

i-vFcx8Vb-L.jpg

It was well past 7PM by the time we'd picked up supplies and approached camp.

i-NnZdLQD-L.jpg

The road leading to our site was a meandering two-track cutting an undulating path through the hills and was fun.

i-VkDdM9c-L.jpg

Arrival at camp, with CiD in the background. He pitched his tent in about a third the time it took me with my old-style tent.

i-kCHwQ87-L.jpg

Crawling into a tent in the middle of the desert is great. Luckily others had the energy to get fires going.

i-JJWjFWF-L.jpg

i-tRSXS9j-L.jpg

Checking messages by the fire. The firelog was not burning very quickly so I dragged some branches of a long-dead ocotillo to see how they'd fire up, which they did with much more staying power and clean flame than I'd expected, so we we were in luck.

i-PpZSc7S-L.jpg

The main reason CiD rides...

i-SQXNwnb-L.jpg

KKug bought groceries, made the charcoal fire, cooked, and made tacos for the rest of us.

i-zpkWJV4-L.jpg

Dawn at 6AM. Slept pretty well.

i-Sx9zj5t-L.jpg

We were camped about 100 feet from a drop-off.

i-4sq5rD8-L.jpg

i-Lf2VxcR-L.jpg

i-bndVDNG-L.jpg

Our desert moto-docent, providing a counterpoint to the beautiful views.

i-QcbH49q-L.jpg

i-pNxqRkG-L.jpg

A large scorpion popped out from under Beez's tarp.

i-6Vt7s4C-L.jpg

The much-photographed baby rattler.

i-Wxr5GMS-L.jpg

We were ready to ride around 8AM, unsuspected mechanicals lurking just a mile or so down the road.

i-WSWzKgh-L.jpg

My bike began hesitating not long after we got started, showing symptoms quite similar to what happened in Utah (http://www.dualsportmoto.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=649). I was convinced it was something to do with the fuel pump and no one offered alternative theories. This was my first time using a tow line; after some fumbling, we settled on two wraps around the front left fork, looping up to the handlebars where my hand could grip and quickly release in an emergency. Worked great and no one fell over despite the sand and some altitude change. I got to work on the bike as soon as we stopped at the breakfast place. As others have mentioned, the fuel line had worked its way off the inline fuel filter, which did not have barbs on either end.

i-7P5NSKv-L.jpg

In an hour or so everything was back together and loaded, and we set off. I had a good morning of riding with no crashes despite the sand.

All loaded and ready to head back.

i-zH5LWRf-L.jpg

I had a great experience on this ride, and really appreciated everyone's patience with me at various points in the ride. It did a lot for my confidence, coming back from a major injury, and taught me a lot. One of the faster ways to improve is to ride with better riders (if they'll have you along in the first place), and the price is that they'll take you on some challenging terrain. A big thanks to Ken for pulling everything together.

-Fabless

Great posts everyone....thanks

Curtis......we were all pulling for you/with you as you charged that soft climb.....well done! ........I should've captured the moment on video......

PS: My bike is all back together and ready for the next ride........thanks again to The Sicness and Rick for keeping cool heads and helping me get back on the road/back to my truck before darkness fell.......I was so pissed off I was blind to simple/temp fixes like zip tying the caliber to the handlebars for the slab ride back to the truck......

Curtis-- Your pictures and report are great. Thanks

P.S. you do good on your bike considering how big it is and how short you are. :good: