kato

leaving the bike in LAX?

I ll be leaving the country for over a month soon and upon checking my options on how to get to LAX and back from SD I learn that parking the cage would cost about $300 and motorcycle parking in LAX is free. Not sure how good I feel leaving a dirtbike for that long on its own though, has anyone ever done this or know if it's monitored/safe?

I ll be leaving the country for over a month soon and upon checking my options on how to get to LAX and back from SD I learn that parking the cage would cost about $300 and motorcycle parking in LAX is free. Not sure how good I feel leaving a dirtbike for that long on its own though, has anyone ever done this or know if it's monitored/safe?

Pure speculation, but I'd think LAX would be one of the most closely monitored places on the planet. Gotta be cameras everywhere. A good lock would slow anyone down a bit.

Yea, seems like plenty do it, found this googleing around:

I usually travel light so I will consider spooning some shinkos and turning this airport trip into a scenic way up and down. Would be awesome to come back from a long trip to find my bike waiting for me at the airport! A good lock and a cover would probably be a good idea. Also even disconnected I doubt the battery will still have any juice after 5 weeks sitting, I don't know.

yea, probably strap the helmet with the long lock and have it all stashed under the cover.

as for the battery the Yuasa website says "A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge" (disconnected). So best case scenario I will have about 50% juice left upon returning.

Why not take the metrolink train? The train goes as far south as Oceanside, and I believe they have a direct/near-direct shuttle from LA Grand Central to LAX.

Depending on my work schedule I could drive you to LAX (free gas in my company car) and the bike could sit in my garage till you get back.

Guest Crusty

Amtrak to Union station then shuttle from there to LAX.

Or take the Charlie Express.

Cristina and I did that once, the ride there on a Tuesday morning was fun.

The train ride home on a Sunday afternoon sucked with all the drunks.

The train ride got a lot better by about San Juan Capistrano, when most of the crowd had left.

I ll check the trains, not as fun but a good option for sure. And though i d love to come back to my bike I probably would be worrying the whole time out there.. "is my bike still there"..

Nice offer Charlie thanks, small chance that we could make the schedule work twice. I ll send you my e ticket though, just in case there is a chance i get to chill in the pilots vip room

I've left a bike parked at LAX before; away 4-5 days. No problems, and easy to get in/out. Spaces in the corners available. As others have said, helmet lock for sure and a cover help.