97xr400r

old stagecoach road to mountain spring

Want to ride it?? :torch:

If we go stealth there is a chance sneaking up on some big horn sheep

Want to ride it?? :torch:/>

One of my favorite rides...rumor has it that the area is now a "plated area" only

I've been on that trail before but I never knew why it was there. Now I do. Thanks for the info.

If I can do it on a DR650 it's doable by most. Thanks for the link. I've wandered around the DesertUSA site but hadn't run across that article. Maybe it was in better shape then but I can't imagine vehicles and wagons getting up it.

Click pic to play

th_Stagecoach1.jpg

Thought i'd share this google find. coolio.gif

old stagecoach road to mountain spring

mountaintrail.jpg

Great image, thanks for posting it.

While interesting to see who used the road, I always think about those that built it. Yikes. That's a lot of rock to break, move and place, in some fairly inhospitible conditions. I suspect it was not Alonzo Horton or John D Spreckles.

If I can do it on a DR650 it's doable by most. Thanks for the link. I've wandered around the DesertUSA site but hadn't run across that article. Maybe it was in better shape then but I can't imagine vehicles and wagons getting up it.

Click pic to play

th_Stagecoach1.jpg

Famous Movie Quote:

"Arrgh"

--Trophyhunter @ 1:48

Barnes and Noble have a series of "About San Diego" books on the shelf ( Yellow ) with a good deal of photos. There is one on the San Diego Railroad that went down Carrizo Gorge. There may be a book on the road or at least a page or two in the Railroad book on the Stage Road.

haha, funny you say that, the only time i've been on that trail I almost got racing stripes of the stank variety. I'm riding along when all of a sudden theres a adult male ram skipping on top of boulders about 30ft away from me, that guys was buff! :bigeyed: The moment is still clear in my mind, I was glad I never saw his face!

and ya, I want to ride it again I didn't know if we were allowed to be there so we didn't explore the watering hole. Lets go, seems like more might be interested too...

Glad everyone likes the post, I've looked up the area a few times but never ran across the article or image until now. I've been trying to dream up some "historical san diego rides". While on the topic does anyone know if there are still any sections of the old wood road through the dunes?

that chopper could really come in handy for trail scouting... :upsidedown::whistle::friends:

For those that have been on it would you call it big bike friendly?

I would not.

I'd be willing to ride the 990, but it would not be a friendly ride whatsoever.

Search YouTube for "dezertxer"

That is spaugh's you tube channel

He has videos of both sides of that trail...I would NOT call it big bike friendly, not would I ride my lowered KLR on it. just TOO rocky for that trail...however...you "could" access it from the 8 freeway fairly easily, if you were so inclined

Here is a cool Expedition Portal Ride Report of the area (I'm a member there too, they have some killer overland rigs on that site)

Jon you might like this pic (I also posted it in Brian Masters' ride thread). I included some fun background info too

Moutainspringsauto.jpg

SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY:

In 1863 Pete Larkins and Joe Stancliff built a small house at Mountain Springs, selling meager supplies to travelers passing that way, and with their team of oxen they assisted travelers up the steep, thirty per cent mountain grade.

In 1870 the San Diego -- Ft. Yuma Turnpike Company purchased Larkins' holdings and petitioned the San Diego Board of Supervisors to allow them to establish a Toll Road and station at this location. The permit was granted, and the company operated a toll station in the old Larkins House for about six years, with Mr. Bowers as Station Agent. All that remains at present, to mark the location of the original station site, is a lone Washingtonia Palm tree and the remains of a portion of the old stone foundation.

In 1878 the Board of Supervisors relocated a portion of the road above the station, and eliminated the toll road. This change of alignment brought the road into the Mountain Springs area about one-half mile north of the old stage station. At this point another spring was developed in a near-by canyon. It was at this location, in about 1860, that sheep men built some stone corrals and a small stone house. In the corrals lambing ewes were kept at night, to protect them and their young lambs from the coyotes.

In 1900 Supervisor James Jasper constructed a new grade into the area. This new road came around the mountain from the north and terminated near the stone corrals. Jasper cleaned out the springs in the canyon, and piped the water a short distance to a large water trough at the feet of the grade; this was convenient for the sheep men, as the overflow ran into the nearby corrals.

In 1909, a new Mountain Springs Grade was constructed with monies provided by a San Diego County bond issue, to accommodate the increasing demand of the automobile. This grade entered the amphitheatre from the south and the old water trough was moved to a new location about a thousand feet to the south east from its position at the stone corrals, so that cool water could be had for the boiling radiators. A short time thereafter a small cafe and garage operated at this location, but closed when the California Division of Highways again relocated the highway a few hundred feet farther north. This is the highway that is in use as of 1955.

NOTE: Prior to 1907, San Diego County extended easterly to the Colorado river. In that year, Imperial County was formed, the division line between the two counties passing through the Mountain Springs area; in fact, the present highway down the grade crosses and re-crosses the County line several times.

ps I knew Bowers was old, not quite "bikeslut old" but I didn't see the 1870 San Diego Historical Society reference coming. Not to date anybody here but woa!

There is one on the San Diego Railroad that went down Carrizo Gorge.

11517889623_503ceedd20_c.jpg

Is that pic from my GoPro?

Arnold: "Get to DA CHOPPA"

Saw this posting on a search of the area....

I've driven that trail now twice. Accessed it from under the bridge, of highway 8 up near Jacumba.

I'll tell ya, it's an awesome trail with a great lunch spot at the old OXen watering holes and where they had setup the "Mountain Springs Station". Lots of history there.

There's a couple "tippy" spots on the trail for off-roaders, here my Cherokee (a bit top heavy already) is passing over the two areas (see attached).

For dual sport bikes, it's a piece of cake. Big bikes... a challenge. But yes, it traverses into the Anza Borrego State Park, so a license plated vehicle/bike is a must. I have GPS tracks if your interested.

... if you like this, then check out Elliot Mine over in Valley of the Moons. It's South of the 8, and just down the road by In-Ko-Pah. Another awesome trail, and sight to see.

post-14-0-26889000-1418748631_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-16409500-1418748703_thumb.jpg

Definatly interested in those tracks would love to run that in my Jeep XJ :)

Definatly interested in those tracks would love to run that in my Jeep XJ :)

Your the second to ask... so, I'll put'em on my dropbox and share with all....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z7ptqyudqcj4lm/Stagecoach%20Trail%20and%20Valley%20of%20the%20Moons.gpx?dl=0

Be forewarned, that there's also a 'bike' trail that'll take you from Jacumba area all the way to Ocotillo. It'll require you to ride under the 8 freeway, through a water drainage pipe. Easily done if your skills are up to the task... but, not for everyone. And not sure the big bikes would like the rocks.

Enjoy!! And tread lightly!!

One of my favorite rides...rumor has it that the area is now a "plated area" only

I can verify there is a Sign with the Though Shall have Plates commandment