So if you haven't heard about the Soboba invitational Trail Ride it is going on again in February. In a nutshell, the ride is held on the Soboba Indian Reservation in San Jacinto. It is usually run in two 30 miles loops of roughly 90% single track. The second loop is harder than the first and most riders tap out after the first loop. I made it about halfway through the second loop when I gave up due to hydration issues.

My report from last year.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15163-soboba-invitational-trail-ride/

Yes it is the same weekend as the Desert Dash. I go out to Butterfield on Thursday and leave Saturday afternoon. I'm more of a singletrack rider than desert cruiser. Yes there are a lot of riders. However, if you've ever done the Camp Pendleton Mud Run or a Spartan Race you've seen 2500 to 8000 entrants line up in the morning to tackle the course. 700 isn't so bad. Besides, just like at a ski resort, once you're out in the hills the riders are spread out. The organizers launch 4 riders at 30 second intervals to reduce traffic jams. The second loop had almost no one on it and was real fun, technical riding.

When I left I was wiped out, but really looking forward to next year. :thumbsup_anim:/>/>

Anybody want to join me?

I have wanted to show up and ride only the L2. I just wrote and deleted a long not good diatribe about the event.

Maybe yes if only the L2 section or if they catagorize the launch by skill level (which they wont) both loops.keep me on the possible list Jon.

PS I did it one time in 01 I think it was (KTM250EXC).

The trick is to get their crazy early and be in the front on loop one. I don't think they let you ride loop 2 without riding one, but I could be wrong? I had a connection 2 years ago and we camped on the reservation. We locked our bikes at the start the night before and I think we were the second group to go after the "Friends of Malcom". Made both loops my first time and haven't done it since.

If I was going this year, I would help get a few SDAR riders in, but I won't be there this year. I think they have a truck/RV parking area at the hotel. Might be worth parking there and heading over with the bikes early. Being near the front sure helps so you don't get caught in traffic and have to wait in lines.

Overall it's a great ride if you like single track. It's a challenge, but a blast!

Rob,

Definitely possible to show late and ride only loop 2. I think they launch the riders at noon. There was loads of fun stuff on the first loop and it is worth doing. Sometimes just to enjoy the bloopers on the trail. Even if you skip half of it you will have to pay for the whole day anyway, so show up and ride with me.

Earlier is better, for sure.

Ive ridden saboba a few times - over the AM start no matter how early u get there - Berto we should all go up around 9 AM and ride the 2nd loop - its a much more technical trail with 90% less people - we will be some of the first to go - The organizers have no idea who rode the first - I dont think they even care at that point in the day - u just find the entrence and go - If we finish the 2nd and have some juice left - we can do loop 1 - The 2nd loop a few yrs ago was EPIC and well worth it. way better then the mayhem on the first loop

aha so u do check into the SDAR forum TnT. depends on schedule for other events (HD for example).

as for that L1 circus, Im a grumpy old man with little patience..so maybe the L2 thought is a good one. again schedule permitting.

Intrigued.

Seems like a 200cc type two smoke is ideal but I don't have anything like that.

My choices are XR250 or TE250. The XR250 has revalved XR400 forks on it. I'm not worried about style points, and I'm only interested in riding for fun, not racing.

Which would be the better moto to take if I rode this event? Old reliable or the high rev'er?

Guest Crusty

Intrigued.

Seems like a 200cc type two smoke is ideal but I don't have anything like that.

My choices are XR250 or TE250. The XR250 has revalved XR400 forks on it. I'm not worried about style points, and I'm only interested in riding for fun, not racing.

Which would be the better moto to take if I rode this event? Old reliable or the high rev'er?

The hardest trails seem easy on my CRF 230 but I hate to wait in the kongo Line torch.gif

and would rather shred the desert that weekend.

This ride would be fun, if it was an invitational.LOL.

The hardest trails seem easy on my CRF 230 but I hate to wait in the kongo Line torch.gif

and would rather shred the desert that weekend.

This ride would be fun, if it was an invitational.LOL

So Crustacea, you've done one or both loops at a Soboba event on your CRF 230? Please do tell...

I'm very interested. I've done it once a few years back. I saw malcome smith on it. He broke his hip I think. How do I sign up?

Sneeker, I ride my YZ450F. Don't worry about what bike to ride, all makes and models are well represented. Twos from 80cc to 500cc, Fours from 150cc to 650cc. Last ride my buddy didn't know which bike to take, CR250 or CRF450. He liked the CR for it's light weight but I asked him which one he thought would be easier to ride all day on technical trails. He rode the CRF.

Oh and certain posts are better left ignored.

I'm very interested. How do I sign up?

Follow the link in the above post.

Just got this email from the organizing committee.

Did your load of holiday gifts include a new bike or gear so you can prep for the 2014 SOBOBA Trail Ride?

SOBOBA CLAUS visited the Trail Ride team and he left sharp new knobbies, sturdy new hand guards and grips and the zeal to go out and work on the best course ever.

And we’ve enlisted the 2013 SCORE Baja 1000 Ironman Champion Alexander Smith to lay out the hero sections for riders who come out to the rez to take on nature’s full challenge.

The 2014 edition of this great event is taking place on Sunday, February 23, 2014 at the SOBOBA Indian Reservation.

If you are a prior rider of the event you’ve got an invite coming in the mail.

You can also pick up a invite flyer at leading Southern California motorcycle dealerships; like Malcolm Smith Motorsports (www.malcolmsmith.com).

Or, if you can’t wait – check out entry form and ride information at www.sobobarides.com or our page on FACEBOOK.

With the cool weather and rain the layout riders report that the conditions are improving on the course faster than ever before.

And that’s important as the 2014 version of the ride includes a lengthened, but easier main route to appeal to a wider range of riding talent.

But don’t fret, if you’ve been out to the reservation before to challenge yourself on our knarly trails and hills, the layout guys will have optional “hero” sections that will be just as tough as ever.Don’t delay and lose a chance to ride next year’s event – send in your invite, grab one at the dealer or get an entry download from our website and sign up.

Also back is our Vintage Bike Show and Ride – again presented by our friends from Saddlemen (www.saddlemen.com). So get your classic bike ready for display or riding now.

Thanks and we’ll see you out there!

Got another email from the "Trail Boss".

If you have gotten an entry flyer in the mail, seen notices on FACEBOOK or visited www.sobobarides.com you know that the pre-entry deadline is Saturday February 15th, 2014. If the Trail Ride team has your entry and payment by that date – you’re in! If not, you will be forced to come up with an extra $20 for the cash post-entry fee of $90 and hope there’s room for you to get into the rider list.

A few riders are wondering about the announcement of a riding route that easier as compared to prior events, and that’s true. Simply put, we’ve taken the harder edge off of the trails used in the morning loop and the post-lunch, afternoon loop. Here’s some of the Trail Ride Team grooming some of the up-hill sections to make sure riders have a reasonable attack of the hill so bottlenecks can be avoided.

We’ve increased the mileage to both loops BUT there are still optional sections that will very, very challenging for BOTH loops. Traditionally the post-lunch trails are a tad more challenging, but not impossible. At the rider’s meeting you’ll learn what the ribbons mean and how to access the harder sections and return to the main loops if you need too. Plus, there are always members of the Trail Ride Team (wearing their high-visibility-orange vests) on the course to give you a hand.

If you were on the mailing list, you should have gotten your entry/mini-poster flyer already in the mail. And you can also pick up a invite flyer at leading Southern California motorcycle dealerships; like Malcolm Smith Motorsports (www.malcolmsmith.com).

Or, as a tech-savvy motorcyclist, you can– check out entry form and ride information at www.sobobarides.com or our page on FACEBOOK.

Other areas of Southern California are pretty dry, but the rain that has dropped at SOBOBA, along with cooler nights, have kept the riding conditions in good shape.

As noted early, that’s important as the 2014 version of the ride includes a lengthened, but easier main route to appeal to a wider range of riding talent.

But don’t fret, if you’ve been out to the reservation before to challenge yourself on our rugged trails and hills, the layout guys will have optional “hero” sections (laid out by 2013 Baja Ironman Champion Alexander Smith) that will be just as tough as ever.

Bad news for me, good news for someone here.

Last month I got injured and have been rehabbing a tweaked shoulder and elbow. I've decided to skip the Soboba Ride and concentrate on getting healthy and giving it a go next year.

My entry is up for grabs to whomever wants to try out a really fun, very challenging, extremely social, trail ride in Southern California.

This is a $70 value. $90 for the late entry. All I ask is for a 12er of Lost Coast Downtown Brown or Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I don't even need the beer upfront just a forum promise to deliver and I'll call in your info for the registration committee.

I'm very interested. I've done it once a few years back. I saw malcome smith on it. He broke his hip I think.

That was 2007. I rode it that year, but quit early. due to traffic jams that put me way behind. A mix of heavy dust and light rain, made things get messy in a hurry.