Logroller

Corral Canyon - oh man, again.

Well, KTM-licious sent me a note a day or so before August 18th asking if I wanted to ride Corral Canyon. He had made a lot of changes to his bike i.e., bar trimming, gearing, etc and wanted to see how everything felt. Not to mention, he wanted to conquer some of the trails we had taken a couple weeks prior (see pics her - ) that more or less drowned his confidence. I'll admit, like Ktm-licious I was very off my game for that July 27th ride. I can think of a handful of reasons why, kid kept me up the last 3 nights, 4am wake up call for the ride, over thinking things on the trail, fatigue later in the ride, etc. It wasn't that the trails are super difficult, things were just off for us in different ways.

So I jumped on board given that the temps were going to be a pleasant 100degress. We started riding about 7:30am on August 18, and mostly rode Kernan, 1, half of Ranger, 4, and 5. Ktm-licious' goal was to get a little warm up run and then retry some Ranger spots. Surprisingly the temps were not hot at all and we rode for a couple of hours. Ktm-licious did great and his bike adjustments seemed to help.

A few days before August 25th, I hit up Ktm-licious for a repeat ride.....sort of. We started riding at the same 7:30am mark and this time while the temps were supposed to be cooler, the humidity made it feel a little warmer. However, still very unseasonably cool and not a scorcher by any means. It was actually pretty nice out. And nope, Tropical Storm IVO never touched down in the area.

We rode for 3 hours with breaks, you'll see in the video why we had to wait for a while to get down 3A. We rode Kernan (I think that's what it is called), 1, 12ranger(from 1 to 11), 11, 5up, 3a down, a short single track and maybe something else. I took Ktm-licious in to a few scenarios he wouldn't have done without a little coaching, but he did them. And he did all them without falling. I say that is a big accomplishment i.e., no falls, trying something new and finding confidence to conquer when things seemed sketchy at first. Seems like the ingredients of a good riding trek.

Video on it's way.

post-15129-098699700 1377643868_thumb.pn

post-15129-052659400 1377643884_thumb.pn

Awesome! KTM-licious... Glad you are pushing it forward. Logroller, good on ya for "un-paving" the way... That first photo is priceless!

That first photo is priceless!

Isn't it, you'll see in the video how it played out. We were discussing what might have happened causing the nose to shoot up. But something I had not realized until seeing the video, as I was not in a direct view, is his right foot was off the peg before going up the rock. So he literally did the entire climb with one leg. Of course not intentional....or was it....but he did it. He's a STUN-TAH!

awesome action picture!

Video stills baby, because it's too difficult getting that stuff in a single shot.

Ha Ha, you now I'm going to make a poster out of that pic. I was trying to do a nac nac :)/>/>

I was not planning on riding 3A up or down, did not think I was ready for it, thanks to logroller brainwashing me on that spot I conquered bronco peak!

I can say now, I truly will enjoy ranger (at least the easy way).

Coming down bronco peak turned out to be fun instead of fearful.

I would never had thought of trimming my handle bars, but it truly made a huge difference. (Thanks Robertaccio)

I also changed my front sprocket from a 15 tooth to 14, and messed with suspension settings.

Dirt Dame's posting about her McCain ride reminded me about our wildlife viewing on our CC ride. After climbing the rock (one leg climb rock), we came upon a Horny (Toad) lizard. It was just a wee thing about 1 1/2 inches long. It's been a while since I've stumbled upon one of these critters. I made sure to get it in view of the camera lens mounted on my helmet a few times, but did not make sure that the camera was rolling. DOH! These things used to roam all over San Diego county in somewhat large numbers.

This is the not the guy we saw, but just about the same size.

post-15129-064435800 1377719460_thumb.pn

Should be a 7+ minute video here, one leg rock climb and all.

YEEEE-HAAAAAW-some! That's how you do it brothers!

Looks like the step up going up 3 (from 5) before you get to 3A?

all super good.....except all folks hanging around the jeep with the taught winch cable.....with no blanket on the cable or safe clearance. An under the load snap can hurt someone and at worse cut a man in 2.

PS that song about getting naked was truly bizarre. Great Viddy editing LogRoller fun stuff.

[

Looks like the step up going up 3 (from 5) before you get to 3A?

5up a short distance from the 3, 3a, 5 intersection.

all super good.....except all folks hanging around the jeep with the taught winch cable.....with no blanket on the cable or safe clearance. An under the load snap can hurt someone and at worse cut a man in 2.

PS that song about getting naked was truly bizarre. Great Viddy editing LogRoller fun stuff.

The cable was a natural and probably synthetic blend rope that does not snap like other ropes or metal cables, It unwinds with individual fibers, also if it were to snap all at once, there isn't any recoil like with other hi-tension ropes or worse metal cable. Be that as it may, I stayed away when the wench was in use.

You'll see in the video a young guy holding it and the wench kick in. He was warned more then once not to do that, to avoid losing some fingers.

The song is a Flight of the Conchords tune. I had scored another song at that point, a Pink Floyd melody that was very poignant ( I forget the title, but it softly sang words like, we're still here), but copyright issues blocked the song. Same with the Journey song. Originally I had "Rain" from The Cult in that spot.

Oops, I put Fight of the "Condors." I meant "Conchords" and corrected my post. Here they are -

copy thaks for clarification. song is so silly good stuff!! Fun Viddy!!