Bagstr

Kkug's High Rock Canyon Adventure

Don't know anything about Jimmy or any necid guy but the beer was good and this was the 2nd best camping spot ever.

post-13540-066490300 1371783370_thumb.jp

post-13540-060453500 1371783384_thumb.jp

Don't know anything about Jimmy or any necid guy but the beer was good and this was the 2nd best camping spot ever.

It happened --I got proof--Can any one help me on posting a video :rolleyes:/>

Day Three of riding.

So I get up with the sun and take a walk to see the hot springs. Lots of steam in the morning chill.

155-L.jpg

147-L.jpg

This is the source of the springs. Hot water just flowing out of the ground.Kinda of Hot !!

149-L.jpg

150-L.jpg

156-L.jpg

Awesome! Amazing! Spectacular! The only reason I missed this trip is because I was here!

mypick_zpsb82dbc15.jpg

After breaking camp (which takes about a hour + ) we took a spectacular route to Pueblo Mtn. to find the site of

"On February 9, 1945 at approximately 10 PM a B-24 "Liberator" bomber crashed into a rocky ledge in the Pueblo Mountains in southeastern Oregon. The plane was on a "round robin" navigation training mission from Gowen Field near Boise, Idaho to Hamilton Field in California.

An eyewitness in Denio recalled seeing the plane fly over Pueblo Mountain on its return from California and, for some unknown reason, turn sharply to the left, narrowly missing the summit as it crossed back over to the southwest. This maneuver cost the plane 2500 feet in altitude and a few seconds later it crashed into the west-side of the mountain at the 7500-foot level. All 11 men on board were killed. The cause of the crash was never determined.

This summary of a little known event in Harney County history is a tribute to the men who lost their lives in this crash. The crash site is located due south of Steens Mountain just north of the Nevada border. "

This was also the highlight of the trip. Kind of sad at the same time.

174-L.jpg

173-L.jpg

171-L.jpg

169-L.jpg

166-L.jpg

Juan who is a commercial pilot and aviation buff really enjoyed this experience. He was carrying a GO PRO and doing a video documentary of our ride . He was taking shots of all our stops and commenting on the History of all the areas. I can,t wait for the finished product.

DSCN06851000w-L.jpg

DSCN06901000w-L.jpg

DSCN06991000w-L.jpg

DSCN06981000w-L.jpg

I am Not saying,, but this is spooky. Probably recent animal kill; I hope.

DSCN06951000w-L.jpg

DSCN06911000w-L.jpg

DSCN07001000w-L.jpg

On a trip of Highlights, this was right at the top, literally.. We broke camp at Hot Bog and immediately started climbing rough two track north east.

There were many ridgelines to cross, many. Every time I thought this Must be the last ridge/pass, the path took us up yet another drainage. Good job

Kug and Juan getting us to the site. The last 1500ft vertical was quite sloppy rock with the last climb big steepness thrown in. Definitely Not a Big

Bike Party. Carrying 35/40 extra pounds of camp gear didn't help. The drop back out was no party either; at least that first. 75 mile views. Easy to

imagine flying in the dead of winter at 10PM, just missing one peak then Just not quite clearing the "Last Saddle". Oh My!

Ken had to make an important call to his stock broker and it took us all day to find a phone booth.

Don't have any idea who the guy in the sticker is.

CiD

post-13540-070215700 1371832944_thumb.jp

post-13540-056105800 1371832956_thumb.jp

After the crash site we worked our way north to Fields OR.

Over the top at Domingo Pass .

182-L.jpg

186-L.jpg

188-L.jpg

189-L.jpg

190-L.jpg

Remember I said we were going to go 300 miles between gas-- proof !

191-L.jpg

This is a great place, fuel, food,beer,water, pottys,great people, milk shakes.

IMG_20130615_122235_113-L.jpg

IMG_20130615_122658_231-L.jpg

This is whats left of one half of a milkshake.

IMG_20130615_132710_064-L.jpg

After we were all recharged it was time to start heading home. Our next stop would be Ceaderville Ca. It would take a day !

IMG_20130615_162151_467-L.jpg

194-L.jpg

We stoped to talk to some conservation workers ( funny we saw them twice on the ride -- we did not realy see anyone out on the ride and we saw them twice.) They told us about a campsite and we took them up on it .

198-L.jpg

IMG_20130615_193342_300-L.jpg

201-L.jpg

202-L.jpg

Up and at them in the morning . Heading west to CA.

207-L.jpg

208-L.jpg

We made it to Ceadervill Ca in the Surprise Valley.

209-L.jpg

IMG_20130616_103142_961-L.jpg

?????

211-L.jpg

We tried taking a Backcountry route that was in Benchmark atlas --turned to boulders-- had to back track--no big deal.

212-L.jpg

Rode into Susanville--got lost --Jaun got us out-kept riding--and riding- I think 250-300 mile day- its all a blurr.

213-L.jpg

Made it to Serriaville- late dinner--was excellent-

214-L.jpg

Did some boondock camping at the end of a landing strip.

217-L.jpg

218-L.jpg

We were near Reno and we had to split our ways. Jaun was going to ride around Reno and then head home. We were going to go to Virgina City

and then head back to Fallon.

219-L.jpg

IMG_20130617_130414_459-L.jpg

We got back to the truck around 3:30 and decided to boogie home . We did !

A great trip with a great bunch of guys. About 985 miles total. We are already planning to go back. Mabey the North central part of the state. Their is realy no limit to the riding in NV. wide open and gas the only factor .

Thanks for coming along :good:/>

Found a nice little video from some ADV riders that did the much of the same route we took. Wish I had the patience and skill to put together a nice vid like this.

CiD

Man I hope I can find the time to get back in the saddle soon. Great report and looks like an epic ride.

Fantabulous ! I wanna go. I sold my monster gas tank........ guess I gotta get another one...... Thanks for sharing, excellent. How many total miles was the ride ?

V.

Just under 1000 miles. This is a sickness I hope there is no cure for. I've been back less than a week and can't wait to get back out there and thanks to great riding partners, Kug and Bags and I all have the same attitude about when to ride snd when to stop. This makes for a great time on the trail.

CiD

I ve been daydreaming also about doing another ride. long distance. Can,t stop thinking about it.

dirol.gifMy Daydreams are of shampoo-ing my hair and hot showers.

These Trips are special because:

Long Days with Comrades de Moto are entertaining

The drama of finding a good camp while racing the sundown is cause for celebration when the tents go up

A couple of semi-cool cans of beer feel a just reward for surviving un-injured the wild spaces of the day

Wild Spaces are the rarest of experiences in this day of Instant gratification and wall to wall security. I give large credit to Kug for seeking out and organizing a route

through such a Big Empty space. Look at the map for King Lear Peak,,,

Taking responsibility for your machine, the camp gear and your food, gets one down to the basics of life, This pushes all other thoughts out the window. Don't

get hurt, don't cause your team grief.

Distracted to the point of almost forgetting to look around and think about where you are. When you do Stop and Look around (as the team runs off to the horizon)

The scale, the wind, the horses and donkeys. Just when you think you are the Adventurer, the group comes across a lone young lady riding her horse down a

ridgeline. Step to the back, your are just a visitor to the day to day life of the Real West.

P.S. Do yourself and the team a favor and take a radio.. Not withstanding the trouble Kug had with his cabling, they are invaluable in keeping in touch with the Sweep and limiting stops at turns. Limited singing allowed when Trail Fever infects riders near the end of the day.

Bagstr cowboy.gif

Very Nice... Thank you for sharing, very impressive trip and photos. Astounded with the mpg your bikes get!

Here are some Videos that Juan made about the ride. I hope the links work.

Here's a pic of Juan trying to warm himself, yes it was cold the first night.

Covered in Flames

post-13540-012326200 1372267804_thumb.jp