Sign in to follow this  
Marbee40

Marbee40 Update

SDAR,

Just another update that I send out every couple of weeks from the Trooper Academy.

Family and Friends,

Just a quick hello on a quite (finally) Sunday evening.

The last two weeks were BUTT KICKERS. Last Saturday we got to enjoy a nice "TASER" to the back. I'd show ya the video but you'd likely call my Congressman to complain about abuse. Okay, some of you might call to say "Thanks". It is a PAINFUL experience that last's all of 5 seconds but a lifetime of memories. It was worse watching OTHERS go thru it.

Last week my squad spent every day at the shooting range. QUICK DRAW McGRAW here! This ain't no Navy static qual course, folks. Speed shooting, from the holster, from already in your hands, long range, short range, etc. Nice combat shooting that left EVERYONE feeling confident and SAFE with the weapon. I qualified 210 out of 240 possible, so evidently I hit what I was aiming at...most of the time. I sincerely hope I never have to use those skills, but when I do, I'm coming home at the end of my shift.

Yesterday (Sat) was Cold Water Survival training. Getting in and out of thick rubber suits, into and out of a little orange raft, etc. Good fun at the toasty warm pool. In a few weeks we get to do it again....in the ocean. If you don't get your suit on in less that 1 minute, they push you overboard to see if the nice Alaskan water hurries your pace a bit.

Today was Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC). Drive a Crown Vic thru the cones at a brisk pace. A few of my fellow recruits sat in the back when I drove, with my Instructor in the front seat. On the first pass he said "Keep it at a steady 15-20mph". I liesurely strolled thru the cones. Next pass 20-25mph. Again, no sweat. Then he says "Streicher, I KNOW you can drive this car, GET ON IT!". Hmmm, okay.... I hammered it up to speed before the first cone, didn't bother to look at the speedo, and gave them poor gov't tires a work out. My buddies in the back seat were yelling "YEAAAAAAH" and the instructor says "You passed, good job.". The guys said my speed at the first cone was 35mph. I can't wait till next Sunday. I love my job.

Next week is Defensive Tactics. We get to toss each other around the mat room for 4 days. Gotta watch my neck, but should be fine.

Rolling along smartly! Sitka is BEAUTIFUL! Pine tree's and mountains everywhere. Loads of history. The locals are real nice. Not a bad place, but miss Lisa and the kids. 11 more weeks.

Keep those cards and letters coming!