Bagstr

PRO FIM- Pirelli

After some time my new PRO FIM finally got a real test yesterday at McCain. There was another Tire Thread on this, but I lost track on location.

I believe Robertaco gave us good input on this tire...I have been using MT43 Trials tires for awhile because of their grippy nature. I am less enamored with the square profile at the edge which has caused issues when leaned over. The FIM is DOT labeled so good for Parks and public spaces.

Running around McCain the tire displays good grip in loose dirt and DG. A few times I was stopped mid climb and the tire dug in and drove up the hill. Smooth granite faces had the bike drive right up with no slippage. We didn't encounter much loose rock, The big difference with the trials tire is sliding the rear, either while braking or under power. Much improvement when at odd angles to terrain, compared to MT43.

Looking at the tread, I doubt it would last long on the pavement. For real Dual Sport Travel Camping, I have changed to Pirelli MT21s.

DSCN04781000w-L.jpg

u know me I love them. But as pointed out by Dai Jones they are not long lasting tires and when used by the ISDE type guys they are engineered to last one day.....but what I have found is that even when they are worn they still provide good traction, flex and rock grip, the balloon profile helps, mine right now are couple months old worn and chewed up but still ok, not great but ok.

If you really want to go crazy GoldenTyre makes a Dot Fim profile tire called the gummy, its a standard pattern FIM enduro comp type tire (140/80-18 rear) made with trials tire gummy rubber. Its the tire that Graham Jarvis uses. I just dont think that this tire is needed for mortal riders in the ammie level, but may be a good choice for a Moab type ride.

u know me I love them. But as pointed out by Dai Jones they are not long lasting tires and when used by the ISDE type guys they are engineered to last one day.....but what I have found is that even when they are worn they still provide good traction, flex and rock grip, the balloon profile helps, mine right now are couple months old worn and chewed up but still ok, not great but ok.

If you really want to go crazy GoldenTyre makes a Dot Fim profile tire called the gummy, its a standard pattern FIM enduro comp type tire (140/80-18 rear) made with trials tire gummy rubber. Its the tire that Graham Jarvis uses. I just dont think that this tire is needed for mortal riders in the ammie level, but may be a good choice for a Moab type ride.

The gummy is yummy. I love that tire

I've tried the MT43 and to me, I simply couldn't get mentally comfortable to the square edge out back. I much prefer an aggressive DOT knobbie - for my intended dualsport riding on the DRZ, the MT21 is a great tire on a lighter bike. I might have to try your Pro FIM on the WR250 one day.

I see you went with the BD Squadron - I'd love to see some night pictures of it (in the driveway is totally fine). Now, you'll be able to not only make it to your moto camping party if you're stuck on the trail post nightfall, but you'll be able to keep the party with that spotlight!

m.gif

UPDATE: October 31, 2013

Having finished the Long Range Moto Camping Season, I switched back to my barely used Pirelli Pro FIM on the rear and installed a new of the same up front.

Blake and I hit the Low Dez for a fun lap of hard and mostly soft tracks. My previous McCain experience was confirmed as the rear offers a good deal of control both power sliding and steering with the rear brake. The up-front action was a large contrast to the MT21 the bike was running all summer. The MT21 can be trusted on the pavement but pushes noticeably on the dirt, but predictable. That is a 80/90 profile. The Pro FIM is a taller 90/90 profile which stands up taller. I barely touched the pavement yesterday but would not dare to push this tread design on the bitumen. Offroad, the feel is very confidence inspiring. Noticeably more planted on soft and

hard surfaces. Others have noted the tire is constructed with stiffish sidewalls to help with pinch flats.

Overall, to my sensibilities the ride felt composed as well as offering nice handling skill sets. This trip the tire was running 15lbs which is somewhat high. I will go with 12lbs next trip.

coolio.gif I didn't realize this was for a grade. Second draft in position.

They say High School kids are not up to their full capabilities until 9-10:00am. Also, there was a piece in the paper today about how

University Humanities studies are Way down. sleeping_02.gif

try 12 (and even 11) in front and 10 (even 9) rear. on those FIM skins (at MccCain valley) for more open dez (H&H type stuff) I always ran 12-13 front @ 10-12 rear. (same for 140/80 or the E1 size 120/90 rears.) 90/90 is the standard front size E1-E3 bikes. 250ccplus 2T and 350+ 4Ts 140s 250(310) 4t and 125/144 2T 120 rears