Crawdaddy

Back in the Street Bike world

​All American KTM was out of filter skins last week so I dropped down the hill to pick up some filter skins at Vey's. I picked up the filter skins and I was walking around the store doing the obligatory new bike tire kicking when a new/leftover white 2012 VStrom caught my eyes. :ohno02: Hmmmm, hey, this can't be the same bike that comes to my mind when I hear the names "VStrom" or "Wee-Strom" (650cc verison). :bigeyed: I've never really paid much attention to the VStrom product line......no interest. So I did my due diligence and checked out some older/used VStroms on Craigslist when I got home. I wanted to make sure my eyes/mind haven't been deceiving me all these years. They haven't. The 2004-2011 used market is affordable, and some of the bikes you'll find out there are nicely farkled, but the older models just don't do it (for me) or really motivate me to jump back into the street bike game again (and they would require cash out of pocket). Whereas the new 2012/2013 models appear to be light years ahead of the tired looking 2004-2011 VStroms in both styling (IMHO) and performance (reviews). :smile_anim: And how do you argue with $0 down and 0% interest? :whistle::good:

2012/2013 vs. prior years

*Body restyled

*Fuel tank capacity reduced from 5.8 gallons to 5.3

*Seat height raised from 32.3 to 32.9 inches

*Internal transmission changes to reduce noise and boost low to midrange torque

*Power increase from 63.5 horsepower and 41.2 lb-ft of torque to 66.2 horsepower and 43.0 lb-ft of torque

*Rear suspension travel increased .4" to 6.3 inches

*Redesigned instrument panel

*Reduction in GVW by 18 lbs

Review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/235/11326/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Suzuki-V-Strom-650-First-Ride.aspx

My last street/sport bike was a 98 Honda Superhawk which I sold a few years ago. It was a 996cc V-Twin and a lot of fun. The smaller/middleweight VStrom also has a torquey V-Twin engine (similar to the SV650 sport bike but unlike the SV engine, which uses cast iron cylinder sleeves, the VStrom uses Suzuki's proprietary SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) plated cylinders, a race-proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating for reduced weight and, reportedly, improved heat transfer, allowing for tighter and more efficient piston-to-cylinder clearance). I don't know anything about materials and/or heat transfer power ratios but that sounds impressive! :blink::heh:

The new models also have a redesigned body style that's actually attractive as opposed to the bulbous/fugly (IMHO) older VStroms (.5 gallon less fuel but still 5.3 gallons or ~250+ miles). Surprisingly (to me), the new VStroms also feature an agile/narrow and dare I say "sporty" chassis, fuel injection, ABS (that is reportedly NOT scary off road - we'll see - already began researching an ABS disabling mod since there is no factory "ABS off button" as a std feature.....or I may just live with the ABS full time since my off-road plans with this bike are lollipop in nature), decreased curb weight (~470lbs), increased suspension travel from previous years (but still not really off-road worthy suspension for anything other than groomed fire roads), and roomy/upright ergonomics. Bottom line, the new VStroms offer the look/comfort/versatility that I want in a middleweight/street biased "Traveler". The little Wee-Strom appears to be well suited as an enjoyable/penny pinching daily commuter and/or a "Traveler" to take me to the wilds of Alaska or (?) with luggage and/or a passenger.

I say "Traveler" as opposed to ADV because it's NOT a true Adventure bike in my eyes given its limited suspension/cast wheels but I'm ok with its 90% street and 10% "light" off-road "Traveler" mission statement. I'm not looking for anything more rugged than that out of my daily commuter/sport "Traveler". I already have dual sported KTMs for the more aggressive dualsport/ADV treks I enjoy. The so called "Adventure" version of the VStrom was ~$1.5K more OTD and I couldn't justify the expense for factory hardbags/extended windshield/engine guards. I'd rather farkle my "Traveler" as "I" deem fit (The factory ADV version/pkg didn't even include a skid plate which should be the first order of business if you want to take this bike off the pavement.....what are they thinking?!?!).

Picking the bike up next week. My first planned moves - Black powder coated skid plate to cover the exposed "hit me" oil filter/pipe, black engine case guards, black center stand, black handguards wrapped around the stock handlebar fitted with heated grip elements, 12V power to the dash for GPS/Radio/Cell/etc., and perhaps a Seat Concepts replacement seat cover. I may add a rear/locking top case for commuting to work so I have lockable storage for helmet/etc. when off the bike around town.....I have soft Giant Loop/Wolfman luggage that'll probably suffice for the bulk of my "Traveler" missions. The tires will eventually be replaced with a less street biased design.

VStrom_zps308ddead.jpg

VStromright_zpsfc9513e4.jpg

VstromFront_zps8a5999c8.jpg

VStromCenter_zpsc3aaff4a.jpg

There you go, making me jealous again.... :angry2:

BTW, did you consider the new Honda NC700X before you pulled the triger on the Zuk?

looks more like the Tiger and NC700, which is definitely a step in the right direction

Mine (DL1000) handled pretty well, did ok on dirt, did ok on freeway, did ok on back roads, but it just didn't "stir me"

Hope it floats your boat, Chris... definitely a step up in the fugly department... nice lines

BTW, did you consider the new Honda NC700X before you pulled the triger on the Zuk?

Nope, it has 17's front and rear like a supermoto and no windshield.......and it's not a V-Twin.....I'm all about that twin motor based on my experiences/fun riding the Superhawk.

Here's a link to a middleweight shootout article: http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/rider-comparo-honda-nc700x-vs-kawasaki-versys-vs-suzuki-v-strom-650-abs.htm/

Nope, it has 17's front and rear like a supermoto and no windshield.......and it's not a V-Twin.....I'm all about that twin motor based on my experiences/fun riding the Superhawk.

Here's a link to a middleweight shootout article: http://www.ridermaga...om-650-abs.htm/

Good article! Thanks for posting... and nice bike :coolio:/> have fun farkling, its gonna look awesome

Nice bike. Maybe I should look into it ...

:coolio: Spill it or I will.......just like in 1995......lightning strikes twice......

Makes for a much nicer commute thats for sure.

Something tells me a few "long way home " trips will be in the near future

Time for a ride up the 1...check out Jay Leno's bike bar, Pismo Beach, on up to Big Sue via Hearst Castle. One of my favorite street 2 day rides.

Something tells me a few "long way home " trips will be in the near future

:smile_anim: I'm thinking Wildcat to 67 to Scripps might be the new norm ^_^:P:dance2::thumbsup_anim:

CDy

You left out one important data point.

coolio.gif

Time for a ride up the 1...check out Jay Leno's bike bar, Pismo Beach, on up to Big Sue via Hearst Castle. One of my favorite street 2 day rides.

"in" :friends:

Nice bike Chris--I knew you had the "Jones" :good:

Congrats Chris! As you know, I loved mine. I just needed a change after 8 years but at least it stayed in the family. Maybe I should've just grabbed a new one instead of going hog wild (pun intended) but I can see one in my future.

Somebody else on here that you ride with should get one, too. ph34r.gif

Congrats Chris! As you know, I loved mine. I just needed a change after 8 years but at least it stayed in the family. Maybe I should've just grabbed a new one instead of going hog wild (pun intended) but I can see one in my future.

Somebody else on here that you ride with should get one, too. ph34r.gif

Referring to this post, ,

time for me to fess up. I bought a '12 VStrom 650 last Friday, also white. Sold my Kawasaki Z750S to my very happy son...

The coast ride is on my list. Up the 1, down the 101 (else I might drift over the edge looking at the scenery if I took the 1 south :wacko: )

once you started looking I knew it was just a matter of time, Chris - and not a lot of it.

definitely meets the mission statement. and the later model styling a welcome change.

congrats. get farkleing!

and congrats to you, too, Dave on the, ahem, same bike! you two will look so adorable together.

what's next? matching helmets and gear?

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I went from a VTR1000 to a 7811, the to the strom- I was looking at the specs: 996cc V twin, and expected a similar power plant

Not at all the same- down on horsepower and torque, with none of the superhawk feel...competent? For sure, but not the same.

Pipes are definitely in order

... and congrats to you, too, Dave on the, ahem, same bike! you two will look so adorable together.

what's next? matching helmets and gear?

Have you been peeking in our garages? :blush:

congrats chris....New Toys are always fun. :party:/> That's 2 new Toys in a few months for you.....Double congrats....

congrats chris....New Toys are always fun. :party:/>/> That's 2 new Toys in a few months for you.....Double congrats....

Congratulations Chris! Can't wait to hear your "first ride" report.

Carl

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I went from a VTR1000 to a 7811, the to the strom- I was looking at the specs: 996cc V twin, and expected a similar power plant

Not at all the same- down on horsepower and torque, with none of the superhawk feel...competent? For sure, but not the same.

Pipes are definitely in order

Not expecting a similar power plant.....just a fun V-Twin feel.....different mission statement this time around.....Commuter/traveler not retina melting sport bike...

:coolio: Spill it or I will.......just like in 1995......lightning strikes twice......

Funny (short) story. Dave and I both bought 1995 GPZ 1100 Sport Touring bikes and met through an internet forum much like SDAR for owners of those bikes (along with SDAR member SXP, Samir, who still has his GPZ and was also the driving force behind my entry into the dualsport world so many years ago)......needless to say, we didn't consult each other before buying the GPZs since we didn't even know each other prior to our purchases........fast forward 18yrs.......I sent Dave an email on Sunday night - "Check out this VStrom.....what do you think?". His reply, "I bought the same bike last Friday". Great minds think alike. :o:rolleyes::P:D:heh:

I know you will love that bike, now you will be able to ride to some cool destinations and still get in the back country by fire roads. Example, when it is cooler you could ride that bike to your second home then get on your KTM and go dirt riding. Or get on the 395 and head up to Bishop for the weekend and do some nice fire roads, or head up to Santa Barbara and ride the back roads, or take it up the coast to Big Sur and camp, or go up to Big Bear for the weekend, or go with us to Alaska next May. You are going to enjoy the new bike adventure, what's cool about this Chris, now you can ride that bike to your destinations, and still get on some fire roads in the back country. ENJOY!!!!

<div>I am glad for you but you have the same disease that I do and most others on this forum, when we go inside a motorcycle store we tend to look and before you know it we are walking out the door with a new adventure.</div>