bikeslut

More Suggestions For Informal Rides

I believe there are some very basic rules that trail rides should have

1- Assume all intersections are straight through, unless the rider in front of you is waiting to say otherwise. Consider all "T"s and "Y"s as "not straight through"

2- When riding in a group, you are responsible for the rider behind you. If they missed a turn, its because you didn't help them make it. If the rider in front of you blows a turn, sit and wait. They SHOULD come back for you.

3- When riding in a group, be aware of your pace relative to others in the group. If the person behind you is right on your tail, you are probably holding them up. Let them pass and everybody will enjoy the ride more.... even you.

4- Do not ride over your head- do not feel pressured in to riding obstacles above your skill level, or riding too long between rests, or at too fast a pace. We'd rather wait for you than wait for a helicopter. If you need a rest, make your intentions known to the group.

5- make others aware of your limitations- "I hate sand"..."I am nursing a small injury"..."I've never ridden singletrack"... whatever; the more the ride leaders know, the more they can pick trails for the whole group- Self assess- Do not join an intermediate ride with novice skills.

6- be halfway prepared- water, basic tools, flat repair... even if you don't KNOW how to fix a flat, having the proper tools is a step in the right direction; axles have different wrenches required for different models; try to have yours- again; let the ride leaders know.

7- Sweep rider will decide the intial order or riders... they will point to each person... 1, 2, 3, etc. This will ensure everybody knows how many in the group, and how many are behind them. When approaching another vehicle from the opposite direction, inform them of the number of riders behind you. If it is just one behind you, use your index finger :lol:/>/>

for "MY" rides:

Beginner or novice- basic dirt road skills- able to correct a one wheeled slide, lift the front wheel over small ruts, able to modulate (feather) the clutch and throttle- Dirt is different than street- lack of traction but all the same gravity

Intermediate- Comfortable with deep sand, small (4' or less) rocky obstacles, 12" rock steps, , tight corners, deeper ruts, singletrack.

Advanced- comfortable with deep sand, dunes, water crossings 2' feet deep or more, large rocky loose climbs, climbing over downed trees, large rock obstacles, 24" or taller rock steps, etc. I personally won't be going on many of these rides

Expert- hell... I have no idea what an expert rider needs to do, but I won't be going on these rides

I try to put on numerous "noob" rides each year. These are a great opportunity to assess your skills compared to the SDAR site. My ratings above may not mean anything in the real world. Join a noob ride, and see what it's all about. ALL of my noob rides include easy stuff, and some small challenges thrown in. We WILL get everybody through the trail, or turn around if it's too much. If you are riding along, and something just doesn't seem rideable; WAIT... we'll have a sweep rider, or somebody coming back to check on you. Everybody just leave your egos at the trail head, and we'll have a good time.

I would like to solicit feedback, so rather than having a bunch of posts, I can just update this one, and pin it. ideas?