Crawdaddy

Bike camping chairs

Any feedback on camping chairs.  I have the tripod camping chair aka "nut crusher" and done with it.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwithJvu-NTWAhVNYH4KHZHJDMoYABAPGgJwYw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD268HF0jD7U4h3THgeRb9W&sig=AOD64_3VqSxnDAkDeLllrs-RRLvHbuBJ2Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiFhJXu-NTWAhVY3WMKHVCGAEgQ9aACCEU&adurl=

Looking for better. The helinox seems good but pricey. Looking for HEAVY duty that does not sit so low to the ground but packs small.

21 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

Looking for HEAVY duty that does not sit so low to the ground but packs small.

Ummm dont think ur gonna find that, rei house one or helinox is best bet, never liked that tripod stand but have helinox and its good but me and you are big guys so wouldnt say its heavy duty,

There are some helinox clones on amazon for under $40 with prime might be worth it to try and return if not happy

26 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Ummm dont think ur gonna find that, rei house one or helinox is best bet, never liked that tripod stand but have helinox and its good but me and you are big guys so wouldnt say its heavy duty,

There are some helinox clones on amazon for under $40 with prime might be worth it to try and return if not happy

I think Loren had a knockoff last year and it broke on our trip. This year he had either a REI or Helinox not sure which and he had no problems. I've had my Helinox for years, before they were sold in the states. I ordered it from overseas when I 1st saw it. Still working great.

CiD

I've owned the Alite and Helinox chairs and both are great. Alite has a really good warranty/return policy. I had the Monarch chair that a truck ran over repaired free and quick.

I also have a Chinese knock off and it's solid, too.

All are the same weight, mas o menos.  

I would stay away from the two-leg Alite chair (Butterfly?) that requires you to lean back and use your legs for the two front legs.  Too much work after a long day of riding.

17 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

Too much work after a long day of riding.

Wheres the pics or funny story after riding, drinking and having to balance yourself

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Wheres the pics or funny story after riding, drinking and having to balance yourself

Aw, c'mon...I quit drinking (hours ago). 

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

Being Contrary,  my preference is the 2 Leg Butterfly system..   Why you say???  Cuz it provides lotsa back support after a long day on the trail following The Kug around the West.  No fear of failure of that complex junction under your seat. That said you must perfect to Rock and Stand after re-hydration technique.  This necessarily leads to much entertainment about sundown.  CID and RiggerDan must have photos somewhere.  Lean back,  as far as you like,,,but hold onto your drink!!

Warning ###   I do not believe they make a double wide two leg chair. 

This discussion gives me an Inspiration.   Drink and Lean Contest!!   Date and Time to be determined. We need two light poles and a string. To be effective event must be in a Deep Sand Campground.  Who's In??

6 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I think Loren had a knockoff last year and it broke on our trip. This year he had either a REI or Helinox not sure which and he had no problems. I've had my Helinox for years, before they were sold in the states. I ordered it from overseas when I 1st saw it. Still working great.

CiD

True. I had the cheap ebay one that looks exactly like the REI and Helinox (but it's not, believe me). I used it a couple times before it failed. Before this years Utah trip, I purchased the REI chair and was very happy with it. Truth be told, I do max it out weight wise at 225. I can't think of one that packs this small that is rated for much more than that.

I'm happy with the Helinox, campsaver.com has some good discounts around Christmas. I'm coming in at 200lbs. 

IMG_9756.JPG

40 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

The Helinox is rated at 320#'s 

Makes me feel better now i thought i was maxing it out or close at 225

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

The Helinox is rated at 320#'s 

That sounds way too high, but I'll take your word. But when I was looking for a new chair, I couldn't find anything with a weight rating over 265#, and that was one of the $140 Helinox.

5 minutes ago, Oracle said:

That sounds way too high, but I'll take your word. But when I was looking for a new chair, I couldn't find anything with a weight rating over 265#, and that was one of the $140 Helinox.

I didnt believe it either until i rechecked specs, i swear was like 225 or 250 when i bought mine year or so ago

Screenshot_20171003-202224.thumb.png.564b91b053257428c9eb1048fa9d8ac4.png

+1 REI chair.  No problems. Lite weight and packs small. 

3 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Anyone tried one of these. Apears to be a  knockoff but seems to maybe be a cut above the really cheap knockoffs? The feet look like they might be a worthwhile feature?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRVUC38/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1DMCVSRDLEA4Q&colid=1SG501OLB1D7J

I was comparing that one and this Trekology one. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJgZHe_9nWAhUmwFQKHW_UDPMQFgg6MAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTrekology-Portable-Camping-Adjustable-Height%2Fdp%2FB01CNCBV8W&usg=AOvVaw2GjN2CdlPNzJmvwLMnG3Cj

I like the trekology a little more as the seat is not made up of so much mesh. I cannot imagine that the mesh is stronger than the nylon.

Mike had the Kermit chair at Oak Grove this last weekend, a little bigger and heavier in packing, put if you got the room, ??

So I am feeling like goldilocks and the three chairs. I have been looking and ordering and think I found what I wanted. These are the three I compared

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwihgY3UxJHXAhVQYX4KHRyIA9YYABBDGgJwYw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2DXS-TnHrYuhaJJMORGIC&sig=AOD64_27Doulee9KvACV8EFNu3OryvNtJw&ctype=47&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjr-4XUxJHXAhUC62MKHSYGAqEQ9aACCM4B&adurl=

https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Portable-Camping-Adjustable-Height/dp/B01CNCBVMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509132471&sr=8-1&keywords=trekology+chair

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0SB458/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the chairs packed up.

IMG_20171027_114737607.thumb.jpg.3f9c4b4cf9db997f9ab37be97f17467b.jpg

Chairs side by side ready for use.

IMG_20171027_120708525.thumb.jpg.8c0aa2c438f6edf67b2fa7e6e4484749.jpg

For me the tripod (nut crusher)  is a no go.  The middle chair lots of people recommend. I did not feel comfortable in it. I felt like I had to really slouch or laying back/ down to try and get comfortable. It had no back support for my size and was not going to work for very long. I felt the most comfortable, stable, relaxed and back supported in the larger third option. This chair was design for 330lbs and held my frame just right.  For added back support or complete upright seating I added my inflatable camping pillow with camping shirt (everyone should carry) to the backrest. I will pack the slightly larger item to have the extreme comfort and relaxation when stopped.

IMG_20171027_120829809.thumb.jpg.567ef83ad45bc09d7d49d0bda20f1886.jpg