JohnnyAirtime

LED HELMET LIGHTS - going to place an order from overseas, anyone inte

Hey folks.... (not sure where to post this)

I often order LED and HID equipment from overseas to support my own hobbies, but as of recently thought to help you all out (to not be selfish - haha) and let you in on my next order.

This isn't a business venture, just thought to pick myself up another LED Helmet light (or two), since I seem to loan the existing one out so often on long rides when in large groups. There's always one or two guys who don't have good lighting and can benefit in supplemental lighting and continue on, enjoying their night ride. These LED helmet lights are just that... not going to win any races with them, but GREAT for the guy who just needs a little boost in light.

Goofy-footer just borrowed one for a few days, he can report back on what he thought (if he desires).

The one he borrowed, is the same LED light that I can order... but it's been repackaged and branded by a local (USA) company. So, you'd get the same type of LED Chip, battery pack, mount, etc that's included with some of the other kits, LESS the branding and higher costs.

Now, about the Helmet Light and what you get;

- 10W CREE XM-L chip (boasts a 1000 lumen output)

- Helmet mount (a strap and base, that you can zip tie to the helmet chin area)

- 4400mAh 4-cell 18650 Li-on battery pack, and soft case

- 8.4V DC input (but okay to run 12V - directly off bike power)

- Extension power cord (between battery and light)

- (4) mode LED; 100%, 50%, 10% and Flash

- endcap mode switch, lights when battery is attached

- 110V AC Battery charger

- Rubber O-ring to secure light to strap mount

- water resistant to rain and the environment (not submersible)

(the above for $75.00 + shipping)

You can also order;

- spare battery pack 4400mAh ($32)

- upgrade battery pack 6600mAh ($46)

- Y adapter - to run two helmet lights off on battery pack ($5)

Estimated battery run time; All depends on power being used, and size of battery pack.

You can do the math, using a 10W LED and 4400mAh as your base. And figure in the percentage of power being used - to get an estimate.

There's two types of light heads you can order (however, this one pictured is the newer unit - let me know if you'd like to see the other one). There is no advantage to either lighthead (IMO);

JAT-SGN1000-1_zps19470138.jpgJAT-SGN1000-0_zpsd7697545.jpgJAT-SGN1000-2_zps4bef94a4.jpg

The light is mounted to the strap mount, via a rubber o-ring;

JAT-SGN-Mounted_zpsdfcad170.jpg

The battery pack is in a nice soft case, which can be mounted, zip tied, belted or stuffed in a pocket;

JAT-BatteryPack_zps86bcab5e.jpg

The helmet "strap" mount, is the downfall. But, easily adaptable to your chin of the helmet with some zip ties (cutting off the straps) or even velcro;

JAT-StrapMount-full_zps189aacd1.jpg

Here is the "kit" and how it comes to you. Nothing special, but some good LED lighting;

JAT-FullKitt_zpsa9655a94.jpg

What I'd like to do, is see how many would be interested in getting in on the order.

Once we have an idea of the amount of interested parties, we can figure out shipping costs (per individual order). I'd estimate $15ea kit, if we order 5 or more kits.

... shipping would be DHP Express, and take 3 days from China to my doorstep. Once payment is made, they'll package and send out. I'd estimate a total of 7-10 days for arrival.

If your interested, or have any questions... let me know.

Here's a sample beam shot;

JAT-BeamShot_zps095c0847.jpg

What voltage are they?

Hey U Champ heres something for you.

I have one of these and they work great. Well worth the money if you're looking for extra light.

John,

Don't want to derail the project but I don't need a head light. I am in need of a ~10W MR-16 led light for my headlight project. Are there any in the catalog you're ordering from? I'd be glad to call or stop by if you'd prefer.

:drinks:

Jon

What voltage are they?

Hey U Champ heres something for you.

I'll have to ask to be 100% sure, but per the battery pack's output.... 12V

John,

Don't want to derail the project but I don't need a head light. I am in need of a ~10W MR-16 led light for my headlight project. Are there any in the catalog you're ordering from? I'd be glad to call or stop by if you'd prefer.

drinks.gif

Jon

I can look/ask, but it'd have to come from another supplier I buy from.... and, well... unless I'm ordering, shipping would kill ya.

And catalog?! lol.... they don't have no stinkin' catalog. unsure.gif

So theoretically this light should run off the bike if hardwired in with a switch? I like the way it bar mounts and would be interested in a light only. I don't think I want to mess with all that battery and helmet mount stuff.

So theoretically this light should run off the bike if hardwired in with a switch? I like the way it bar mounts and would be interested in a light only. I don't think I want to mess with all that battery and helmet mount stuff.

In theory or reality... yes (once I verify it's 12V)

I'm not sure they sell it as a "light only" option. It'd be as a kit. I'm sure you could sell the other un-needed components to someone wanting a back-up battery etc.

EDIT:

You could simply go to one or two of these 10W LED units, that are 12V DC - I have some on hand, if you'd like to see them "in action".

On this page; (first light on) this web page

And this light; Picture example 1, Picture example 2 and light dimensions

Those flights are a magic shine knockoff available on Amazon for less than $40. I have both the knockoff and the magic shine, the magic shine 808 is a much better light

Those flights are a magic shine knockoff available on Amazon for less than $40. I have both the knockoff and the magic shine, the magic shine 808 is a much better light

Actually, the lights I'm referring to (to order) aren't a "Magic Shine" knockoff, just because they look similar.... Magic Shine isn't the "actual" manufacturer (Magicshine is relatively new to the industry), even though ShenZhen MINJUN Electronic Co is who manufacturers the Magicshine line of LED lighting and has been in business since 1999.

... The cheap stuff on Amazon is just that. CHEAP. And, as you read through the reviews, you'll know why. Get what ya pay for for sure! (here's one example - LINK - for $26). There are a number of 'cheap' helmet lights that look VERY similar to each other. I'm not sure how they can claim what they do in their advertisements, but they do... and get away with it. I think it's easy to assume they are all the "same" when you start looking, or that they are "knock offs" of an original manufacturers product. It's also pretty hard to know who's telling the truth, and who's telling a "fib" about the product. I guess that's what is nice about Amazon's return policy if your a "Prime" member like myself. Otherwise, it could be tough to get good customer satisfaction if something goes awry. It also helps to look at the seller, and if they are selling toys, phone chargers, or other misc items not directly related to LED lighting... then it's a bit more obvious they aren't a manufacturer of the product.

This is another reason I posted this. To pass on the "quality" to fellow riders. I only deal with a few reputable manufacturers (or trading companies), as I've been pretty burned over the last 15 years with HID, and over the past 6 years with LED working with overseas brokers. I've learned a lot, and landed a good repor with a some excellent manufacturers. So much so, I've linked manufacturers to each other and designed some great LED lighting for Exotic Aquarium use (As example; that I currently am using, over my own 240gal Saltwater Reef tank - 640 total watts). I've been importing for 15+ years. I'm far from an expert.... but, definitely not a newb when it comes to knowing my "lighting".

This is a great document; https://docs.google....FJ3ZkpVZEE/edit

FOR EXAMPLE; It will give you some good intel on actual output of a MagicShine 808.... a claimed 1000 lumen is REALLY only 648. I'm sure it's all too common for ANY company to fudge the numbers.

You can get some good detail (and beam shots) on some of the higher end lights, from this gentleman's work;

http://reviews.mtbr....l-beam-patterns

.... if you look closer, there's not too many lights that perform well for less then a triple digit number.

Enjoy!

Sounds like those lights are a great deal. After years of riding, MTBs, with an inferior LED light I switched to the magic shine and the difference is incredible. If I needed a New light

I would jump on this deal, unfortunately I have four lights at the moment.

I was impressed with the light output by the older model Johnny let me borrow. For $75 (plus shipping) I could use these on my dirtbike, bicycle, paddleboarding or hiking/camping. After installing a Baja Designs La Paz halogen light on my DRZ, I'm now very much interested in night rides (especially in summer). It's just plain fun and riding at night adds a new dynamic to your ride. These helmet lights help fill in the dark spots caused by my fender and allow me to look side to side with light (ie going into a turn at night, I can look through the turn with my head before my bike light gets there). Also, if we had to fix a bike at night, these lights would be incredible for lighting the way. I would consider bringing one for a trip (as a backup light and in case I got caught deep in the dark). I suppose one could even charge the battery during their day ride.

After having a good light, I never want to ride a stock light at night again. I am highly interested in getting one of these lights. $75 is a price point that grabs my attention. $200 auxilary lights seem too much for me. Let there be light!

Thanks for the feedback Tim.... Good to know that the light did you "well".

I've updated the original post, with answers to questions and better pictures.

(removing the older round light picture - to not confuse anyone with what your buying)

Also, the battery output from the pack is 8.4V DC, however the manufacturer said it's "no problem" to the lighthead for you to run it directly off the bike's battery, and feed it 12V DC. So for those who want to wire it in as a "back up" light source in case your main light goes bad... it'd work out great. Or, use 2 for a main light source... it wouldn't be too bad. But for that, I'd suggest using the 10W LED that I sell as a single unit (no battery pack...etc).

So far, there's interest... but no takers. blush.gif

Thanks for checking the catalog for me. :coolio:

I've found a few online sources but they all want to sell by the "lot". Minimum order of 10. I'll likely head to a local store and buy something for $20-$30.

Circling back on this....

ANYONE want to get in on the order?

A lot of interest, but nobody pulling the trigger (no money sent - for an order) yet.

Put me down for a newer one. Is there a handlebar mount so I could put it on a bicycle? I can't see because I'm on mobile.

Put me down for one. Is there a handlebar mount so I could put it on a bicycle? I can't see because I'm on mobile.

Yes sir... there is.

Once I get 4 or more interested, I'll report back for total with shipping (per order).

.... then, you and others can transfer the $ into my paypal acct and I'll place the order!

This thread is being watched ph34r.gif