Hayseed

CORE 4 Kids with the Kids

We rode the CORE 4 Kids ride this past weekend. The kids were on TTR 125s and a KTM 65 so we were a bit limited on range. We rode the Red Canyon Trail from North Glamis Hot Springs up to Chiriaco Summit before lunch. What a great riding area! The weather was perfect. The camping at North Glamis Hot Springs was very nice, and the tracks and organization by CORE were excellent. Everyone enjoyed the diversity of terrain and the sightseeing opportunities.

Well done Crawdaddy! We're in for next year.

Some pics.

post-14270-059647500 1364257374_thumb.jp

RR Xing at Bradshaw Trail

post-14270-069203200 1364257403_thumb.jp

post-14270-048861600 1364257420_thumb.jp

post-14270-004794800 1364257434_thumb.jp

Salt Creek Trestle

post-14270-049887300 1364257443_thumb.jp

After 50+ miles on the TTR.

We rode the CORE 4 Kids ride this past weekend. The kids were on TTR 125s and a KTM 65 so we were a bit limited on range. We rode the Red Canyon Trail from North Glamis Hot Springs up to Chiriaco Summit before lunch. What a great riding area! The weather was perfect. The camping at North Glamis Hot Springs was very nice, and the tracks and organization by CORE were excellent. Everyone enjoyed the diversity of terrain and the sightseeing opportunities.

Well done Crawdaddy! We're in for next year.

Another "CORE 4 Kids" in the books.......Thanks to everyone who came out.......I'll publish the donation total once we have time to process through the details.....

Hayseed, good to see you and the kids up at the intersection of the PM 1 Track and the Red Canyon Trail.......a crew like yours is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I conceived the idea of holding an annual fundraiser at Glamis North Hot Springs Resort..........perfect site for "family" entertainment AND Dual Sport.......so glad you and the kids could make it......donation appreciated.

I arrived early on Thursday evening..........Gary LaPlante of Motoventures rolled in around 9am on Friday and I took him on a mini tour of the facilities/surrounding terrain........just snapped one pic of Gary sitting with his students outside of my toybox during the morning briefing

IMAG1648_zps23bb864b.jpg

I went for a brief ride with Deb, Jonathan and Jason on Friday afternoon to show them a few of the new wrinkles I'd sprinkled in for this year's tracks......

We checked in ~90% of the fundraiser participants on Friday night.........things went fairly smoothly all things considered.......

The resort staff was nice enough to open the restaurant at 7am for the morning check-in/breakfast........smooth sailing once again.....

I went right to work on exploring/developing the 2014 tracks on Sat while the registrants rode the 2013 layout........

I snapped a few pics with my phone while out exploring on on Sat.

IMAG1650_zpsc46b1341.jpg

IMAG1651_zps84e12874.jpg

IMAG1656-1_zps8c29353b.jpg

IMAG1659_zps6e36a140.jpg

IMAG1661_zps8bc8a184.jpg

Sometimes the explorations yield trail segments that I can use to extend or change an existing track(s)........sometimes they put me on a dead end/bluff.......regardless, they're always capped off with a smile......rest assured I'll have a few new wrinkles again next year.

IMAG1657_zpsc2692bbc.jpg

All feedback welcome........let's see more of your pics/trail tales!

We tagged along with Hayseed.... Work has been nuts, I had to miss the DD and wasn't sure about the C4K ride either, but was able to make the trip. Super cool place to ride, looking fwd to exploring that area!

Q: How do you get a KTM65SX to make a 70 mile ride?

A: Ride to a gas station and bring lots of MSR bottles!

All the kids did great, huge adventure for them. My kid laid it down 6 or 8 times along the way and hung really tough.

Hayseed's kids are getting to be good riders!

Here is a pic of the 65 starting to get loose up a hill with me in the background.

Z

post-14564-085653200 1364324672_thumb.jp

Please email Catrise and/or post pictures on the D37 Thread, as well.......She's is looking for trail tales/pictures to use in the next D37 Newsletter and all she has to work with with are my lousy phone pics (I don't think we had too many show up from D37) - thanks!

I'd send her here but you guys "attached" pics rather than "linking" pics with Photobucket or some other hosting software......therefore she can't see'em as a non SDAR member.....

Link to D37 Thread: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57722

We tagged along with Hayseed....

Z

That was soooo awesome to see you guys out there! Made me very envious of your ride. My son still wants to play around with his quad and not yet ready to get back on 2 wheels. He is only 8 so I need to be patient.

We criss crossed and passed you guys once or twice along the trail....was kind of nervous passing you guys on the home stretch. Didn't want to spook the little guys :king:

Bet you guys were very proud to be a dad that day....one weekend that will never be forgotten by your boys. They did a hell of a job out there riding that far!

My first SDAR related ride at the CORE 4 Kids event this past weekend. What a blast! Made it extra special in that my son was able to drive over from Flagstaff (6 hrs 1 way!), bringing his bike with him to join me on the loop. It was great to see him and ride with him again. B)

We both thought the loop was a good mix of varied terrain. Whoops, sand washes, cruisin' along the canal, high speed pole line roads, hills, more whoops, more deep sand (you get the idea...) and rocks...great job Crawdaddy! :D

Our venture was not without it's hiccups though. It was the first time using the Garmin 78 to navigate. Needless to say, I still have some learning curve to go through. If if any of you saw a WR450 and a CRF450 "WAY" off course, it was most likely us! :blush:

We met some cool folks at camp and out on the trail and received some "navigational assistance" from Tom from El Cajon on his KTM525. Thanks Tom!

Looking forward to the next adventure! Here are a few (too few) pics from the ride.

post-15197-025199600 1364335769_thumb.jp

post-15197-042568900 1364335801_thumb.jp

post-15197-071449200 1364335817_thumb.jp

post-15197-085613200 1364335828_thumb.jp

post-15197-083517100 1364335841_thumb.jp

We tagged along with Hayseed....

Z

That was soooo awesome to see you guys out there! Made me very envious of your ride. My son still wants to play around with his quad and not yet ready to get back on 2 wheels. He is only 8 so I need to be patient.

We criss crossed and passed you guys once or twice along the trail....was kind of nervous passing you guys on the home stretch. Didn't want to spook the little guys king.gif

Bet you guys were very proud to be a dad that day....one weekend that will never be forgotten by your boys. They did a hell of a job out there riding that far!

That's another thing, all the riders we encountered were so cool about the kids! Gave them plenty of space, etc.

Yeah, the kids were stoked! (as were we all). It was a great day.

It was pretty funny to see the little bikes lined up with all the big bikes at the lunch stop.

Thanks to all of you that we got in the way of. You were all extremely gracious. :-)

Z

To Chris and CORE, Great Job putting together another great event !......no time to download pics yet.....but my group of 4 all had a blast.....

The riding was awesome and as usual just hanging out with the dual sport crowd is equally as fun.......old friends and new...

.......Thanks to all of you...... :D/> pics to follow

Here are some of my photos. Enjoy.

Prepping bike for the ride:

i-vLzKGK5-L.jpg

Arriving at dusk:

i-R5S3cFs-L.jpg

i-dtC6cp8-L.jpg

Dinner and check-in:

i-8D9skGb-L.jpg

i-LJrTCwh-L.jpg

Someone's bike getting last minute work:

i-pXVpStS-L.jpg

My riding partner couldn't make it so I linked up with Tom, who turned out to be a good buddy for what would lie ahead:

i-2WRv3hF-L.jpg

Some shots from within the caves:

i-d6X2ZWm-L.jpg

i-5gwhqVz-L.jpg

i-ZvHbCTR-L.jpg

Took a short off-the-tracks side trip at the plaque view, following these riders up the ridge...

i-jcR9GKR-L.jpg

... and down into this terrain.

i-NrRNgLF-L.jpg

i-G5Jwfmc-L.jpg

i-3Qszh9g-L.jpg

Short stop in Joshua Tree where I had a slow-speed wipeout in the sand.

i-JbTppSW-L.jpg

Views from the ridge above Red Canyon, late in the afternoon.

i-WrTJwST-L.jpg

i-PzzDWNN-L.jpg

We rode all the loops in reverse, so did a fair bit of extra mileage. The sand was much easier this time around without the large tank and with more experience. But my inner voice was noting with alarm that I was making more navigational errors and getting impatient to return to camp.

Just before the railroad track crossing onto High Rd, running parallel to the tracks, I went straight at what appeared to be a split in the road. The "road" quickly turned into a wash about 1000 feet later, and I crashed when trying to to clear a sand shelf cutting diagonally across my path. The front wheel caught the top of the shelf and the bike flipped forcefully on my right ankle; GPS had me going 36mph just before the crash:

i-gsZKTx3-L.jpg

I was sure something broke, and couldn't put weight on the foot but, after some more falls, with Tom's help was able to ride out and back to KOA. Besides Tom and his wife, several others came to my aid once I was back in my cabin.

Crawdaddy spent the rest of his evening accompanying me to the ER in Brawley; Andy and his wife graciously volunteered to drive my rig back for me on Sunday; Hoss and wife helped me load my trailer; CiD and Danrider examined my foot before the ER visit. I very much appreciated the numerous visits from other riders for the remainder of the weekend as I took stock of the situation. It looks certain surgery will be required, and a more lengthy recovery period to boot (so to speak). With any luck I will be riding soon.

-Fabless

Here are some of my photos. Enjoy.

Thanks Curtis.......heal up soon!

Thanks Chris for a great time. Always feels good to help out kids in any way we can.

My wife and I were flying to get there by 7 for the check in to help with loading GPS tracks. Lucky for Dan we saw him on the way (34 miles from destination) with a blown trailer tire. We stopped and helped replace his tire.

Saturday I was up and ready early and went to go meet up with Dan, Brock, Tim and Kevin. There was still some last minute repairs needed on Kevin's rear tire as he punctured it earlier on Friday. Side note....JB Weld actually works on tires! :lol:

Finally, Dan, Kevin, Brock, Time and I headed out....We decided to run the tracks in reverse so we would be at the lunch stop about the same time as others. Unfortunately, I didn't take that many pictures but we had an awesome ride!

"Tin Shack"

SAM_1854_zpsb4b68044.jpg

Tim pulling up to the shack

SAM_1855_zpsca5db18b.jpg

Brock taking a siesta and Dan in the background digging through the barrel

SAM_1857_zps92428780.jpg

Next shack with more comforts from home

SAM_1858_zpsc1c756f2.jpg

SAM_1859_zpse60135ce.jpg

After lunch we rode up to Hotel California....interesting read inside of how the "hotel" came about and what happened there.

SAM_1861_zps5c0ece53.jpg

On the hill above the Hotel..

SAM_1862_zpsd013c30e.jpg

Once we returned to Glamis North my wife had cold beer ready and had snacks out! We snacked and cooled off, cleaned up and lounged on the deck later with an awesome beef stew that had been simmering in the crock pot all day. Top off the day in the mineral spa then bed.

Sunday, my wife and I went for a ride....we had the Saturday crew tag along with the "Coma" guys. Rode down to the shoe tree, bat caves and the oasis.

Bat Cave

SAM_1865_zps9f4a674d.jpg

I spaced it and forgot to fuel up that morning so we headed back for some fuel. Coma guys stayed back to hit the pool and the rest of us headed to Salvation Mountain / Slab City. Kind of at a loss for words about that place....bad drugs, hippies, good drugs?? Who knows....just not right in the head.

Salvation Mountain

IMAG0017_zpsac2d5d42.jpg

Lotsa Weird stuff around there

IMAG0013_zps8e6d3257.jpg

IMAG0032_zpsa94dc0f8.jpg

IMAG0013_zps8e6d3257.jpg

IMAG0016_zpsdde5241a.jpg

I finished the sentence for them :lol:

IMAG0019_zps5883fef1.jpg

Dan and Kevin shaking their heads in a WTF fashion

IMAG0021_zps4d4d8260.jpg

IMAG0022_zps7b907f82.jpg

Used old car doors and windows to let light in

IMAG0023_zps8a014ba8.jpg

Shrine?

IMAG0025_BURST002_zps1f06c0e7.jpg

IMAG0031_zpsb246a555.jpg

Dan and Brock on top of old Salvation

IMAG0029_zps8d468f74.jpg

Then it was on to the good stuff :ph34r: right behind the mountain there were 2 large water tanks. The water tanks would be tougher to get to by car unlike the "mountain". But, it really made you think...ok, what is really going on here! :lol:

IMAG0486_zps95ea9d8d.jpg

Check out the artwork on the tank....just a bit different than Salvation Mountain 250 yards away. Wee bit of a contradiction....especially named "The Wheel of Kama Sutra" :heh: good thing there were no kids on this section!

IMAG0485_zps401d60c4.jpg

Great People, Great Location, Fun New Routes from years past.......a little warm, but great weather too....

I was going to bring my trailer, but tent sites are expensive out there, so 4 of us decided to split a cabin..(cheaper than tenting and WAY nicer)...Go Figure!...with 2 bedrooms and a futon....it was actually pretty comfortable for all of us...thanks craig, jonathan and jason for being great room mates..and a fun riding group....

FRIDAY:

Arrived 10 on friday, craig did gary laplantes class, so the rest of us headed out with crawdaddy for a warm up ride...we did the sat. AM route as far as the RR trestle..FUN new stuff..thanks chris.....then headed back for pools, dinner, registration, etc....

P1010381_zpsc289a332.jpg

P1010383_zpsd656aea9.jpg

P1010384_zpsaee89dcf.jpg

P1010388_zpsf1b60ec6.jpg

P1010386_zps2c64d460.jpg

SATURDAY:

Huge thanks to Jason, a great mechanic, who figured out a fuel dumping problem friday......ended up my gas cap was NOT venting.....easy fix if you know what to do....I'm learning....

He also fixed my rear brakes that were totally not there friday......ends up my brake bleed kit was malfunctioning, but he worked it out the old way.....which I shouldve done to begin with...(at least I know how to do that).....thanks Jason....So the four of us headed out for the days big loop....had a few trail issues, but a great day all in all....Then enjoyed the pools , cool and hot...and a great dinner at sassy's followed by a blazing camp fire with a bunch of CORE riders....

P1010390_zps4f57a199.jpg

P1010391_zpsf5fbf1af.jpg

P1010394_zps7559f1cf.jpg

P1010397_zps8fd9374f.jpg

P1010400_zps7ac1b55b.jpg

P1010401_zps23600184.jpg

P1010406_zpse6d4aed4.jpg

P1010405_zpsa38c8df7.jpg

Great People, Great Location, Fun New Routes from years past.......a little warm, but great weather too....headed out with crawdaddy for a warm up ride...we did the sat. AM route as far as the RR trestle..FUN new stuff..thanks chris.....

Glad you had fun.....thanks for all the help.... :good:

Awesome Ride at the CORE for Kids. Rode with partner Scott and met Ted and Ben at breakfast. Ted had just bought the new 500 KTM so we wanted to ride with him to see what it could do.... ;)/>/> It was awesome to say the least.

Ben and Ted were great riding partners- and I look forward to riding with them again.

Everyone at the event was so cool, helpful and sincere- especially Crawdaddys wife and Deb who I spilled beer on while Deb was saying she wouldn't remember me- will ya now? ;)/>/>

Great time, thanks Chris and everyone else who puts in the hard work for this event......lookin forward to next year, lots of esplorin to do out in that neck of the woods............and Deb, thanks for the heads up on checkin out the water towers at salvation mountain (veeeeery interesting, to say the least).....

Just a quick update to let you all know we're just a tad past ~$3,500 in contributions for the Children's Cancer Research fund and it's all thanks to those of you who attended and/or contributed!

I'm expecting a few more contributions to come in before the end of April.......with any luck we'll approach the $5,000 goal I set last year.

Please feel free to share the direct donation website address with family/friends/business associates: Children's Cancer Research fund

Next year's CORE 4 (?) fundraiser will be held on Martin Luther King weekend (Saturday, 1/18/14). I'm moving the event to January to take advantage of cooler temps/Monday holiday for the kids (Pool will be heated/mineral tubs will be flowing)

Please start spreading the word and/or making your plans and reservations now.......I'm looking to fill the Glamis North Hot Springs Resort next year and I'm hoping we'll be able to hit ~$10K in donations for next year's chosen charity.

I'm also hoping to land some sponsors for next year's fundraiser so we can offer cooler T-Shirts and possibly some other swag at check-in and/or in a raffle or silent auction......

Gary LaPlante of Motoventures is also on board once again to offer his off-road training class "on-site" at Glamis North on Friday 1/17/14 and/or Sat 1/18/14 assuming the minimum registration numbers are met. Money well spent for you and/or your loved ones......enjoy the sport you love confidently/safely.

I'll make an announcement on next year's chosen charity later this year......right now we're leaning towards finding a suitable/reputable charity that benefits our troops......Kathy and I have 4 boys who have served, or are currently serving, in the U.S. Military so once again it's a cause/fundraiser close to home for us.

Thanks again for coming out in 2013!