Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Fun Day with Bagstr

Met Bagstr in Borrego Springs this morning........we were on a mission of sorts.........how will the 350's feel/ride with the behemoth 5.3 gallon gas tanks brimmed? Let's check it out......

We met at Kenall's for breakfast then headed out on a ~160 mile Loop

The Loop: http://Crawdaddy.whereamiriding.com

A few pics along the way

Entering Fish Creek before rolling UP Diablo Drop-off

IMAG1613-1_zps38f68e93.jpg

Top of Diablo Dropoff

IMAG1615_zps8989412d.jpg

The new/huge/fugly windmills by Dos Cabeza.....we parked the bikes at the base of the tower so the photos would have perspective.

IMAG1616-1_zps43b6e435.jpg

IMAG1617-1_zps18eab80c.jpg

~75 miles into it.......let's grab a brew before we cut up to Superstition

IMAG1618_zpscf936c05.jpg

I couldn't believe how EMPTY it was over at Superstition (everywhere actually).......I guess a lot of folks got scared off by Friday's rain.......great news (for us).......conditions were epic........empty/smooth/windblown dunes/trails

I led Bagstr over to our usual camping area around the corner on Wheeler by the dune wall.......empty.......TOTALLY empty.......not one rig to be seen.......not one track mark on the initial climb as we rode up to Tower one.......what a blast........it was like that all day.......laying down the first tracks/floating along on untracked sand........

IMAG1619_zps5118ee3e.jpg

Up to the Blu Inn......cold cervesa please........BS'd with a couple of folks about the bikes/behemoth gas tanks.......then we decided to run up Blowsand on our return to Borrego Springs.........the MT43 equipped 350's sailed right up Sand Dam & Blow Sand today.............the bikes have plenty of juice and the fact that we both have 1,000+ miles on our rear tires was a non issue......they still carried us right up the walls.....sure, not an ideal "sand tire" but a great "all around" tire.....even in sand....

IMAG1621_zps77879457.jpg

Conclusion on the tanks........ya know, the bike felt fine even with a full tank.......surprised me......not as heavy/pushing up front as I thought it might be........we both have .46 springs in the front vice the .42 that come stock.......I'm sure that played into the equation........but all n all no BFD to "brim it".........good to know when we head off exploring.......we finished up with ~160 miles on the clocks and we both still had ~1.5 gallons left in our tanks (you can see how full they were at Blowsand after ~140 miles).....looks like we have a solid ~225 mile range if/when needed......

Wow, great ride! I am so curious about a 350..... Your reports make them sound like an ideal bike.

Zancat

Wow, great ride! I am so curious about a 350..... Your reports make them sound like an ideal bike.

Zancat

Ideal "for me" certainly isn't ideal for all......everybody's tastes are different.......some want more bark from the dog........but yes, I'm pretty happy with the 350 for "my" mission statement.......I think Bag's and Amgens would echo the same sentiment...

As Reported Elsewhere: 160 mile into 5 gal tank with over 1.5 gal remaining. That is the range to set the explorer free!

DSCN03181000w-L.jpg

You meet the nicest people in Fish Canyon - Surprisingly few fellow explorers in the Park.

DSCN03021000w-L.jpg

You get what you pay for. Pay for in Sweat Equity

DSCN03041000w-L.jpg

DSCN03121000w-L.jpg

Yea, so what else in new?

DSCN03141000w-L.jpg

Can you say Smoooth?

DSCN03161000w-L.jpg

DSCN03071000w-L.jpg

Remind me, Why did we ride out here?

DSCN03081000w-L.jpg

DSCN03051000w-L.jpg

Breakfast and Brews - Perfect

IMAG1621_zps77879457.jpg

Dave, you may need a kickstand like Chris'.... seems to have mental telepathy powers for keeping the bike upright.

Sounds like a perfect day.

On my 6.6 gallon tank I put marks on it at 1 gallon, 2 gallon ect so I know how much is left at a glance.

CiD

Fun With Crawdaddy

DSCN0300_1000w-L.jpg

HVYWT

Nikon A100 Shock and Waterproof - In Camera processing only.

Put the sun at your back, use a " camera " with at least a 5x wide angle lens.

Trophy,

Yes, he does have Powers Mental

CID

DSCN03181000w-L.jpg

Top left point = 3 gal remain, next angle = 2 gal, bottom blue tape = 1 gallon remaining.