rydethis

2013 My 1st Desert Dash Experiance...FUN

Wow, what a time I had, I would like to start out by thanking a lot of members starting with SCHWINN, and I can’t thank you enough for your hospitality you have a great family and it was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for letting me try out the 690, bike is a beast !!! Second I would like to thank everyone else over there that made me feel at home and if I miss anyone I am sorry, John and his wife, Debbie, Tracy (tacos where awesome), pastapilot, bikeslut, and the list goes on. Jeff and Jay who I rode with on Sunday, and of course karlaeda for bringing the bike I was purchasing out and riding it. He went down on Saturday and had to leave so I got to ride on Sunday.

3 important things I learned this trip:

1. I need more practice in the sand (it something I am not used to on 2 wheels)

2. I am out of shape (lol) got to work on this one….and I will !!!

3. SDAR is a great group and I met so many great people, awesome bunch to ride with and so much fun !!

But I also learned so much more, so on Saturday I go into the lounge and there is karlaeda on the couch with a sling on his arm…not good. (He is ok by the way, called him yesterday when I got home and just sprained, bruised) He asks if I can help his friend Jeff out with his bike that isn’t running right. I ended up cleaning his carb complete and found some plugged air bleeds, back together and running like a champ. So I ended up getting my bike early and decided…hey I’m at the dash…what better way to break it in and get a feel right. So Sunday morning comes…get up and met up with Jeff and Jay I think we took off around ¼ to 7 am and out we went. I really don’t want to drag the story out for you, we turn off the road and started going through the trail and I was starting to get a little feel for sand. Came up to the first drop off and I was like woo, wasn’t expecting this but I managed with ease…only to have a hard time going back up some to the rocks in the twisty section. Had a little help from Jeff and Jay…on we go to the first big downhill (I am not sure of the name) and watched a few go down it, I was like ok…last one down. Made it to the last 3 feet and grabbed a little to much front brake, over the bars and on a rock I go. I was ok though, managed to break the clutch lever clear off…So now I have to ride the trail with no clutch, and I was already having a bit of a time. I managed all the way to the next big up hill section…which I believe was the last hard spot in the first leg. So I am looking at everyone go up it, thinking how fun this is going to be with no clutch when a bike pulls up next to me. Same kind and I am telling him about my clutch and he has a spare lever in his bag (another lesson learned here, carry spares) I can’t thank this person enough, made the rest of my day. Get it installed and yeah !! Right up the hill like it was nothing, was mighty proud of myself  We continued on and I washed out 2 times in the sand on turns, nothing big just getting used to it. I was keeping up pretty good and getting used to it. But when we got to our destination for breakfast I decided to bailout, I did not want to push myself to much and also did not want to hold up Jeff and Jay which where way better then me, but there for me as well. Which is awesome…I have to say I had so much fun, I will be getting some practice in and look forward to next year. Some pictures and I only took a few but though I would share.

The grade I whiped out on...think this is Heart Break Ridge based on the picrures others posted.

IMAG0589_zps4a426b95.jpg

The aftermath

IMAG0592_zps001dbe9b.jpg

IMAG0591_zpsbeb6025a.jpg

IMAG0594_zps1318bfc7.jpg

Not a lot of pictures, next time I will get more. Thanks everyone for making a wonderful trip !!!!!!! FUN

Nice bike!

Sure is, thank you so much again Tom

Thanks for sharing! Kudos to the guy with the spare lever :angel:/>/>/>/>

Glad to, and yes so great of him to do that...great group of people in this club !!!