I managed to swap days at work and got Friday off. I haven't been riding much and needed some seat time so I jumped in on Paul's ride to Palm Desert. We met on 67 at the Burger King and headed out. Ramona - Black Canyon - by the Hideout and across to Warner Springs.

I've never knowingly dated a witch before, so I have no documented historical record to go from, but it was....... COLD...! 35 degrees as we wrapped around Lake Henshaw. When you're pushin' 65, the windchill made me appreciate my heated grips.

We took Lost Creek Rd from Warner Springs to Lost Valley Rd to Anza. We met 2 KTM's and a DR650 from L.A. coming the other way while we were stopped for a break.

Sunny but cold.

DSCN0259.jpg

I finally got the Wolfman bags mounted up. They worked well and didn't budge once tightened onto the racks.

DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0264.jpg

It was 44 degrees riding through Anza.

Grabbed a patty melt at the Paradise Valley Cafe. Good warm up and decent food.

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

We rode in the dirt, rocky uphills, rocky downhlls, rain rutted dirt roads, freezing weather & then rode the most challenging part of the trip. Palm Springs with snowbirds! The good part is, I got to see my life pass before my eyes 9 times. By the eighth version, I edited out the bad parts. Seriously - seniors with outta state plates in for the winter - incredible. Second most dangerous spot on the ride - Summit Chevron Gas - where PMB described the general appearance of the people as "the bar from Star Wars"...which captured it well. We fit in.

After wrapping our way through Joshua Tree Park, PMB peeled off in Desert Hot Springs and I made it to my room for the night.

End of day one

DSCN0267.jpg

I rode back solo today but stopped in Warner Springs when I saw the weather turning.

DSCN0270.jpg

I thought - Frogg Toggs since I packed 'em. Easily went over all my riding gear and kept even more wind off me. I beat the rain by an hour so I don't know how they work - but it was good to have them in the saddle bags.

I have been using an Ogio tail bag for a while that has a stowed rain cover. Convenient.

DSCN0272.jpg

End of ride.

DSCN0271.jpg

With the day one mileage, we didn't take many photos. I wish I would've stopped for a pic at the Cholla Garden since we passed through at sunset. It was incredible. File photos HERE

Anyway, good to get out, great riding partner and a quiet room to myself for the night.

nice....there are cholla gardens at mojave preserve too, very cool...glad you got out...happy new year

1356838241[/url]' post='140788']

Good ride and home safe, Brilliant! The rain came down today, glad you mist it.

Didn't miss it- I'm still out here.

I'll get the rain tomorrow.