Chief Gunner

Update from Marbee40!

Wanted to share this with you guys, for those that may not know him he rode with us before he retired from the Navy and went back to the Great White North.

Jim is a great guy and it's nice to have a contact up in Alaska if any of us ever go on an extended ride up there......here ya go. If any of you want to contact him just PM me and I'll give you his email address.

All,

Recruit Streicher is fine and breathing....barely. That's what the Corporal asked me to tell everyone when he walked by and spied me on the computer.

Is it hard? Nahhh. Old hat for a Navy Chief. Am I PTing my A** off to keep up with these 8 minute-mile punks? HELL YES! But I'm giving a 110% and having a GREAT time. The instructors aren't in anyone's face unless they REALLY goof up. It is truly a kinder/gentler Academy from the yelling and screaming standpoint.

The other day the Loootenant snuck up on me and whispered "Recruit Streicher, what did you do before you came here?" I whispered back "Construction, SIR!" He wiggled his lip in an unsatisfied way and marched off. Today, I think I finally got ratted out. The Sgt called me out of ranks 2 seconds before we marched off to chow and said "Take charge" as he smartly stepped out and joined the other instructors. I promplly did an about face, called attention and took em to chow....just like the old days. Didn't have the balls to start my usual Jodies (military marching cadence) directed at the upper chain of command. It IS only day 5, doncha know.

One fun thing we did the other day was go into the gym, pair up by weight, do a million push-ups, jumping jacks, crunches, etc...and then put on boxing gloves, a vest, and a soft helmet. An instructor grabbed each of the weary opponents by the strap on the back of the vest, made us get on our knees facing each other.....and pound the crap out each other for 60 seconds. My "partner" was Magilla Gorilla. Yeah, he weighed 225...and he's 5'9 with guns that would scare the USS Iowa. Holy CRAP it hurt when he hit me....then I hit back and we just kept pounding till the whistle blew. I had a headache the whole next day. Guess they wanted to see if you'd quit or give up when someone whacks ya. Magilla (or Recruit Cooper) turns out to be a nice guy. I think he was just humoring me and is waiting to catch me in a dark hallway.

We have 53 recruits in this class. 29 are State Troopers and the rest are from various local law enforcement agencies. We have folks from 15 different states, civilians, former military from EVERY service, and even a few Coasties. We have Federal, and one Border Patrolman (Chuck, I'll get his name). No, I'm not the oldest guy here. We have Granpa Hankla ringing in at 59. He's going to a very small PD up north. He wheezes his way thru it, but seems to be doing fine.

Anyways, life is truly good. YES, I really miss Lisa, Britt, and Tanner, but I REALLY want to be an Alaska State Trooper so I can continue to provide for them, yet be challenged in life. I've had it EASY for the last 39 years!

I want to send out a special thanks to all of you who supported me in both my decision AND the 8 month wait for approval! Especially my References! I'd like to thank Ol Senior Chief Boats for his efforts to get my lazy arse in shape before departing. I'd like to thank my DAD for telling me back in 1985 "They'll never be harder on you than I was!" Thanks to Jim Radtke and the old gang at ACB-1 for toughening me up and riding my butt!

Finally, Lisa: Today they asked us to fill out a 3x5 card with the name of someone who loves me and an address. I gave em Chloe's name. Keep an eye out for a letter or two! :-)

If anyone wants to send funny mail, feel free. I can use a few extra pushups!

I might check EMAIL once a week, but that's it.

Love Jim

Thanks for that.....I was wondering what happened to Jim after he moved up there.

Awesome, It is nice to know we will have an Alaskan State Trooper on our side when we visit. :good:

Gang,

Howdy! Thanks for the kind words! Before I ran off to the Academy, I had 2-3 months of BLISSFUL riding. Is it the same as dez riding? No, but different and challenging just the same. I've ridden to a glacier and up serious mountains. I can ride to the store on dirt or around town on trails, hitting asphalt only crossing driveways, etc. DREAMLAND, brothers! I can carry my .357 in a holster over my chest protector or sling my flashy new 45-70 over my back! LIFE IS GOOD!

If ANY of you ever decide to come up, please send Gunner Chief a PM for my email as I don't get to check this too often. I'll graduate from the State Trooper Academy on Dec 7th and hopefully be back in Palmer/Wasilla for my first tour of duty. Wasilla sits in the BEAUTIFUL Matanuska-Susitna River Valley. We have MILES AND MILES of trails and open river bed to ride! You can rent bikes in Anchorage for a reasonable price, ride with me, or even take the Haul Road north to the Slope.

Best of health and many thanks to all of you! My fondest memories riding in SoCal were from SDAR and my trips to Baja!

PS: Chief Gunner, THANKS very much for the kind thoughts and updating everyone!

Keep in touch!

Marbee