Sneeker

650Ben - Rest in Peace

Hi All,

I want to update everyone on a sad event that happened on Dec 24th.

SDAR member Ben Taylor (aka 650Ben) passed away on Christmas Eve. He had a heart attack while on the job for the City of Encinitas inspecting their waste water system. He was 49, and is survived by a wife and daughter.

I never had the pleasure to meet or ride with Ben and was looking forward to seeing him at the Desert Dash this year. My girlfriend worked with him at the City, she says he was one of the nicest people she ever met, and his presents always brought cheer to her department.

I want to make sure that everyone knows what became of one of SDAR's own, for anyone that had the chance to ride with Ben and wonders why he's not around anymore.

-David-

Memorial Service Info for Ben Taylor Here

Very, Very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Ben when I bought that R/C car from him he had for sale a while back. Very nice guy and patient with explaining to me about the car. He never once asked me why I wanted it if I never even had a car before let alone a complicated gas car. Even let me pay payments. A real stand up guy. Best wishes to his family.

Ben

Hi All,

I want to update everyone on a sad event that happened on Dec 24th.

SDAR member Ben Taylor (aka 650Ben) passed away on Christmas Eve. He had a massive heart attack while on the job for the City of Encinitas inspecting their waste water system. He was 49, and is survived by a wife and daughter.

I never had the pleasure to meet or ride with Ben and was looking forward to seeing him at this year's Desert Dash. My girlfriend worked with him at the City, she says he was one of the nicest people she ever met, and his presents always cheered her department up.

I want to make sure that everyone knows what became of one of SDAR's own, for anyone that had the chance to ride with Ben and wonders why he's not around anymore.

-David-

I found this...Anyone have pics.

A man killed Sunday near Manchester Avenue in Encinitas was identified as 49-year-old Benjamin Taylor of Oceanside.

The Medical Examiner said Taylor was found unresponsive by a passerby in his Ford F150 pickup truck, in a ditch, against a tree, near Manchester Avenue in Encinitas after he crashed about 3:25 p.m. Sunday.

Paramedics tried CPR, and Taylor was transported by ambulance to Scripps Memorial Hospital in Encinitas where, despite aggressive attempts to revive him, he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival, the Medical Examiner said.

—City News Service

I found this...Anyone have pics.

A man killed Sunday near Manchester Avenue in Encinitas was identified as 49-year-old Benjamin Taylor of Oceanside.

The Medical Examiner said Taylor was found unresponsive by a passerby in his Ford F150 pickup truck, in a ditch, against a tree, near Manchester Avenue in Encinitas after he crashed about 3:25 p.m. Sunday.

Paramedics tried CPR, and Taylor was transported by ambulance to Scripps Memorial Hospital in Encinitas where, despite aggressive attempts to revive him, he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival, the Medical Examiner said.

—City News Service

Yeah, the news reports are all over the place. I checked with my GF to make sure I had the latest facts from the city email sent out.

Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 6:57 PM

To: council; Cabinet Team; employees

Subject: Great Sadness - Ben Taylor

It is with great sadness to report that Ben Taylor from Public Works has passed away this afternoon, December 24th, from an apparent heart attack while at work. He is survived by his wife and daughter. Our deepest sympathy is extended to all. We will provide further information as it becomes available.

Very sad - thoughts and prayers to his family.

Damn. RIP Ben. Never a good time, but probably the worst time to go. Condolences to family and friends.

Guest Crusty

I am sooooooooooooo sad,

I did my first dual sport adventure ride with with Ben, 1996

CR 500 1 1/2 gallons of gas in my back pack, Ben kept calling me a molitile cocktail.

Trail blazed from Temecula to the top of Thomas mountain for lunch and a beer.

Ride In Peace Big Ben.

bar10-0147.jpg

I know it's a matter of taste, respect and sensibility- but- should we ride to his memorial as a group?

I'm going to miss Ben a lot. We'd become good friends since the day we met. We've chatted almost daily ever since, discussing motorcycles, websites, bikes, and lots of other stuff. He's been the QA guy on my mapping site since its inception and was a critical part of it gettin to where it is now. He always wanted it to be he best it could and was incredibly meticulous in making sure everything worked correctly on multiple platforms.

Ben loved SDAR, the people, and family of people involved with it.

I'm going to miss the calls, texts, emails, but most of all I'm going to miss his giant smile and his flare for life. He was a great friend and I will miss him terribly.

Love ya buddy.

Wow, this is very sad to see as I opened up the forums. :(

Very sad to see a good person go, I did not know him well, but met him a few times.

My sympathy to his friends and family. Godspeed Ben.

Does anyone have info about a memorial service that we can attend ?

I was so lucky to have Ben as a riding partner on the last Bar10 ride. I had never rode with him before and could not believe how he rode that 650 on the rocky sections. Having a beer with him on the rim and ringing the bell at the school house will be long lasting memories. RIP Ben.

I was in a state of shock when I got the news yesterday.......I'm still coming to terms with his passing......it's surreal to me.....can't be.....

As CID wrote, Ben was one of "the good guys"

I'm relatively confident I never saw Ben without a smile on his face (seriously)........very upbeat/happy/friendly guy.......always willing to pitch in/lend a hand.....

He loved to dualsport and he was a joy to be around......I'll miss him.....I miss him already....

Such a loss. I'm absolutely shocked by this news. I had the pleasure of sharing a few good laughs with Ben at the Bar10 a few months ago. Such an all around nice guy, I can't believe it ended so early for him. Condolences to his family and friends. He'll be missed...

Hi all. As some of you know Ben and I were good friends and rode together quite often. I am still having difficulties accepting that he is gone. He always had a smile on his face and loved life, his family and his friends. He will be greatly missed.

I will post details about services on here as soon as I hear about them.

Rex

thoughts and prayers for his family and close friends...i'd like to go to the service also, ride or not...extremely sad..way too young...

I got a chance to spend a little time with Ben on the last 2 bar10 rides with crawdaddy

he had one heck of a smile and always full of good energy

may that smile and passion for riding

be with us all

RIP brother

I will post details about services on here as soon as I hear about them.

Rex

Hey Rex, or anyone that knows the family,

If the family needs a venue to host a memorial-celebration of life please let them know that I can provide everything they need, including a reception, at no cost.