Remember when the Blackwater 100 was considered the hardest offroad race in the US?

I watch it now and laugh. It really looks like amateur hour out there. Even from the past winners or pro riders. Really puts into perspective how far the sport has progressed.

The real difficulty of the black water was endless miles of swamp, water, deep black muck, that became more and more deep and hacked from riders in the hundreds going through.

I remember FA-Q Racing's Tommy Norton's KTM 125 winning the thing, that was super cool.

Bikes would get stuck, blow up from high rpm spinning and no airflow, water intrusion, and guys would just wear out from all the fighting against the swamp mud.

Great vid's!

Makes you wonder....how big is the camera on that guys helmet? Cameras now are so much smaller.

Love the shorts though! :heh: Think I may have a few pairs of OP cord shorts still around :lol: (I promise...I won't wear them in public)

Cameras got smaller and shorts got longer....

Just watched a video from Snowshoe GNCC and they paid tribute to the old Blackwater 100.

Follow this link.

I still chuckle when I watch the Blackwater vids. I'm just amazed at how simple this terrain looks after watching Extreme Enduro highlights last night on RedBull TV.

Jon the issue with blackwater was that racers were always 1 wrong line choice away from an over seat deep mudhole, luck and skill were required to finish, the course was a mudhole, swamp land, water trap filled mess.

Fah-Q Racing's Tommy Norton was one of the last heros of that event on his 125 KTM.

The ammies were pretty much toast from start. Those BW100 videos sure are fun to watch all the carnage in the slop.