Afry

12/29 SD Backcountry Holiday DS Ride

Saturday 12/29 9AM at Packard's Ramona - kickstands up by 9:15. Here is a chance to try out the new stuff you hopefully will be getting for Xmas or Hanukkah or whatever.

Easy to medium ride suitable for all bikes with 50/50 tires and 85 miles fuel range - suitable for riders with little to some experience. The ride down Culp/Jasper/Grapevine and the beginning of Mason Valley TT has a little sand but just enough to test you not kill you. No tough hill climbs or descents on these trails but you will get a taste of the desert. Should be back in Ramona by 2 depending on stops.

We will be stopping along Rodriquez Trail for a lunch stop so pack a sandwich and a drink. If you have comm's bring em - frequency 146.505

Start: Packard's in Ramona, Black Canyon (dirt) to Mesa Grande (paved) to 78 to 76 to San Felipe Rd to S22 (Ranchita) to Culp/Jasper/Grapevine Trails (dirt)to 78 (paved) to Great Southern Overland Stage Route (paved) to Mason Valley TT (dirt) to Rodriquez TT (dirt) to Banner 78 (paved) to Ramona. 100+ mile loop (about 85 between fuel stops - fuel in Julian).

Weather permitting - it's off if it has been raining because Grapevine and Mason Valley TT are wash's and will not be big bike (or maybe no bike) friendly at that point.

Here is the route on Dualsportmaps.com:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=107347

I will be on the 950se - leisure liner

Saturday 12/29 9AM at Packard's Ramona - kickstands up by 9:15. Here is a chance to try out the new stuff you hopefully will be getting for Xmas or Hanukkah or whatever.

Easy to medium ride suitable for all bikes with 50/50 tires and 85 miles fuel range - suitable for riders with little to some experience. The ride down Culp/Jasper/Grapevine and the beginning of Mason Valley TT has a little sand but just enough to test you not kill you. No tough hill climbs or descents on these trails but you will get a taste of the desert. Should be back in Ramona by 2 depending on stops.

We will be stopping along Rodriquez Trail for a lunch stop so pack a sandwich and a drink. If you have comm's bring em - frequency 146.505

Start: Packard's in Ramona, Black Canyon (dirt) to Mesa Grande (paved) to 78 to 76 to San Felipe Rd to S22 (Ranchita) to Culp/Jasper/Grapevine Trails (dirt)to 78 (paved) to Great Southern Overland Stage Route (paved) to Mason Valley TT (dirt) to Rodriquez TT (dirt) to Banner 78 (paved) to Ramona. 100+ mile loop (about 85 between fuel stops - fuel in Julian).

Weather permitting - it's off if it has been raining because Grapevine and Mason Valley TT are wash's and will not be big bike (or maybe no bike) friendly at that point.

Will be posting tracks on Dualsportmaps.com and can send a gps file if you PM me.

I will be on the 950se - leisure liner

well hell if i have my bike this weekend and get some practice under my belt ill probably be down for this

If I wasn't already going to be in Ocotillo I'd be down for this. LOVE Grapevine! Have fun!

possibly join you....(a bit too much pavement for my liking, I prefer about 95% dirt) .....but if I don't get out to the desert for the weekend, might make this one...thanks for posting....

possibly join you....(a bit too much pavement for my liking, I prefer about 95% dirt) .....but if I don't get out to the desert for the weekend, might make this one...thanks for posting....

I already signed up for a ride on the same day that doxbike on CAR has put together. Any way you guys could talk and merge the rides?

1355365651[/url]' post='139499']
1355363796[/url]' post='139495']

I already signed up for a ride on the same day that doxbike on CAR has put together. Any way you guys could talk and merge the rides?

Saw that, doxbike ride looks to be almost all pavement. Pavement is for getting to the dirt...lol

That's cool Craig, I don't want to tell anyone else what to do or change my ride to get more riders. This is the ride I planned for myself and decided to share thinking that others might benefit by learning new trails or feeling safe in numbers. I also don't get butt hurt if my friends ride other rides :)

That's cool Craig, I don't want to tell anyone else what to do or change my ride to get more riders. This is the ride I planned for myself and decided to share thinking that others might benefit by learning new trails or feeling safe in numbers. I also don't get butt hurt if my friends ride other rides :)/>

if you dont mind noobs ill ride with ya

1355373810[/url]' post='139508']
1355372076[/url]' post='139507']

That's cool Craig, I don't want to tell anyone else what to do or change my ride to get more riders. This is the ride I planned for myself and decided to share thinking that others might benefit by learning new trails or feeling safe in numbers. I also don't get butt hurt if my friends ride other rides smile.gif/>

if you dont mind noobs ill ride with ya

Everyone is invited, the excitment and enthusiasm of new riders is infectious. I was a noob once...in 1970.... Damn I'm getting old.

I might be up for this one, I`ll know when it gets closer .

i'm thinking of combining this with the 12/28 full moon ride... ride, sleep, wake up and ride some more... i'm in for this one.

Interested. I'm scheduled to work that day... but maybe I will have a deathly sickness that lasts only one day.

We'll see!

Subscribing to the thread. I'm on-call that weekend but might be able to get someone to cover me for a few hours...TO

i'm thinking of combining this with the 12/28 full moon ride... ride, sleep, wake up and ride some more... i'm in for this one.

I was thinking the same thing although I want it to get closer and see what the weather looks like. I am a wimp.

Question:

Right now planning to ride my bike to Ramona, but if I truck it there, is there somewhere to park without interfering with any businesses or getting a ticket?

1355811482[/url]' post='139843']

Question:

Right now planning to ride my bike to Ramona, but if I truck it there, is there somewhere to park without interfering with any businesses or getting a ticket?

You can either park in the street by Packards which is very safe or park at my house which is only safe if you beat me back to the house...lol

1355811482[/url]' post='139843']

Question:

You can either park in the street by Packards which is very safe or park at my house which is only safe if you beat me back to the house...lol

All right, cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thinking about joining you depending on the weather. Looks like fun!

95% down for this ride. I'll be on my KLX 250s and just as long as my parents aren't flying out of town before then or I don't drink too much the night before, Ill see ya guys there!