Sign in to follow this  
Desertrunner

Categorizing informal rides

Goofy footer and tntmoto put on a great ride yesterday. I met quite a few people from all over the county. This got me thinking, however, that perhaps the site should include several individual localities for smaller, informal rides. So, instead of rides being posted from all over the county in a single list, rides could be categorized based on location. For examle, if I want to spend Saturday afternoon exploring De Luz, I'd post in NORTH COUNTY; if I want to take the quad out to Glamis, I'd post in EAST COUNTY (or IMPERIAL COUNTY to be technical). This way, if someone is browsing through for a ride in a specific area, he or she doesn't have to skim through the other stuff if they're not interested in it. The INFORMAL RIDES section would be more organized and efficient. For larger group rides such as yesterday's, there could be an additional subcategory along with the regional sections. The same goes for larger rides around the whole county, et cetera. Curious about other's opinions...

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/789-suggestions-for-organizing-informal-rides/

If a ride organizer chooses to categorize a ride in the post title by area, that would be helpful. There aren't SO many rides to choose from that I think a lot of categories and sub-categories would be that much more helpful. The guidelines in the above link are rarely followed completely so more rules/categories might just be cumbersome.

I look at all rides and then determine if I want to go. Again, area of the ride in the title is helpful and has been used "Border Ride"...."Warner Springs to Thomas Mtn", etc have been used in the past.

Good suggestion.

I agree with Ken....categorizing more could be cumbersome.

I think it's good enough if people post a description of the ride, and others who want to find a ride just keep an eye on the Informal Rides Section.

True, additional categorizing could be a hassle for some. What if members had an option to add the staging point of a ride to their thread other than the title? Then, others could choose to view the informal ride section in the form of a list or separated into categories. I suppose it is a matter of opinion, but I still think their could be a more efficient process.

You'll likely never see uniformity in post format.....the beauty of a forum is that anyone can post up and ask a question at anytime.......Where exactly is this ride? What time? What degree of difficulty? etc. etc.

Or, in the alternative, post up exactly what you're looking for and see if anyone jumps on board.......like Kug did for his Baja Ride on Sunday - "Experenced-Well preped,Intermediate Pace, No screwing around" (I loved it - :heh: )

Nick - Agreed, it could be more effecient, but there frankly aren't 5+ rides a week to choose from per week, justifying the need IMO. It takes a second to take a look at any post to see if it interests you.

As C-Daddy said, you'll find inconsistencies in ride postings and that hasn't changed in the meager 5 years I've been here. A welcome suggestion no doubt but the volume just doesn't warrant a process.

Look forward to one of your ride posts. When I post up, I'll try to remember the area/location as a lead off. I think that's helpful.

Also, I think you're referring to more "organized" informal rides like yesterday's.

More often people get together and do smaller local rides.

It takes a few people to volunteer to put on the bigger group rides, to try to keep it safer and under control.