NOMAD5326

4 Day Xplore Baja Norte (26-29 OCT 2012)

Temps down and I have a break finally so just a quick weekend trip to Baja. Trying to be all bike friendly w/double track/ single track and some sand (minimal if I can route itl).

Route is tentative and may adjust in terrain depending on type of bikes/riders coming so pipe in if you've thoughts please push.

Update 11OCT2012:

Fri: Meet at ( the gas station just shy of the border) near Tecate with food in your belly and a tankfull. with kick stands up at 0900. Cross at Tecate Border Crossing. East on Hwy 2 to El Cndor and then dirt all the way south through the Sierra Juarez Mtns to Independencia for gas. Hwy 3 S to the hard or easy way into Mikes Sky Rancho for the night. Bailout for those that need to head north.

Sat: Mikes west on dirt to hwy 1 then south on dirt to Punta Camalu for lunch and then hard pack and mixed dirt north to Coyote Cals in Erindera for the night. Bailout for those that need to head north.

Sun: Coyote Cals North along the coast to Punta Santo Tomas then around Ensenada to mixed dirt/hard pack to La Mission/Puerto Nuevo area for Lobsters and the night. Bailout for those that need to head north.

Mon: La Mission/Puerto Nuevo to either Catavina for the Lobster Run (Reverse Route) North or south/east to Ojos Negros for some tacos (hopefully we can find some) and then dirt north to Laguna Hanson to Tecate. More tacos/Gas, cross the border and head count on the US side to part ways .

GPS Route being worked and will be posted to download. Should be enough leeway each day to modify a bit and some of you have more Baja experience than I do for sure.

We/You will need:

Passport/pass card

DL/US/Mex Auto/Bike Ins

$200 cash (recommended)

Camp Roll (Tent/Bivi, Bag, Stove, light Food, Light, toothbrush/deodorant ;-)

Fuel cell/bottle/Tools/spares

Boo Boo kit w/poo poo pills

ICE List

Not sure if we will camp out the entire route or wing it w/dirtbag motels so bringing our camping gear.

Feel free to drop in for the duration or any portion.... more people to pick up my bike ;-). The big bike (1200GS) riders (if they can make it) have done 80-90% of this route so I don't expect to be picking up their bikes.

Please RSVP on your respective sites and push me the totals from there. I will need #s to make reservations at campo's/hostels. The rest we will wing as usual. Looking fwd to a good weekend before back to the work grind and travels. Please exchange phone #s BEFORE leaving in case of linkup problems. Cheers.

Ride Report Here. Thanks all for the help!

In List:

Michael 650GS Dakar

Brian 650GS Dakar

This sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone know how fast I can get a passport expedited?

1wk Kris w/expedited shipping. Pricey though..

1349026403[/url]' post='134323']
1348979531[/url]' post='134300']

This sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone know how fast I can get a passport expedited?

1wk Kris w/expedited shipping. Pricey though..

If you do get the credit card version also.This sure looks tempting

Maybe in , I came back last week thru Tecate with a passport 20 years out of date the customs guy said "that's OK citizenship is the only thing that doesn't expire" , my nephew was right behind me with only a drivers license and a student I.D., no worrys.

Mexico 4 days hmmmm,

UC

I wish I didn't have to work that weekend...I want to go! Would love to get a copy of the tracks, if possible. Have a great trip, sounds like a fun one.

1348979531[/url]' post='134300']

Same day service at the passport agency in the federal building downtown it will cost a lot more but you will not have to wait make sure you get a passport card also it is much better for Mexico plus it gets throu the expedited line and you don't have to worry about it getting wet on one of those oh sh..t weekend Baja ride. I keep mine with my ICE papers on my jacket plastic window and I don't worry about it.

1349041353[/url]' post='134342']

Maybe in , I came back last week thru Tecate with a passport 20 years out of date the customs guy said "that's OK citizenship is the only thing that doesn't expire" , my nephew was right behind me with only a drivers license and a student I.D., no worrys.

Mexico 4 days hmmmm,

UC

I am sure that won't be a problem but I like to do few things just few things by the book and the reason this one is important it's because if GOD forbid someone gets Hirt it sure makes coming back easier even if I am limping and someone is pushing me throu a fence states side. I know that they are charging a lot of money for passports now a days but if you compare it with what you would pay in other western countries for one to be renewed it's cheap even with the expedited fee added.

1349593202[/url]' post='134708']

I wish I didn't have to work that weekend...I want to go! Would love to get a copy of the tracks, if possible. Have a great trip, sounds like a fun one.

Sondra,It's that time of the year lets get some trips planned. Ken is on board but like to go diferrent places which fine by me.

1348957827[/url]' post='134258']

Temps down and I have a break finally so just a quick weekend trip to Baja. Trying to be all bike friendly w/double track/ single track and some sand (minimal if I can route itl) so knobies are highly suggested. Route is tentative and may adjust in terrain depending on type of bikes/riders coming so pipe in if you've thoughts please push. Here is what I'm thinking...and this may be reversed or zippered.

Fri: Early departure if you guys can get off, if not lets try for wish? SD/Tecate via dirt to Puerto Nuevo for some bugs then to camp/stay at Coyote Cal's in Erendira, Mx.

Sat: Erendira, Mx to Mikes Sky Rancho for lunch and/or push through to Petes Campo San Felipe

Sun: San Felipe to Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay (Alphonsinas Resort/Camp or Beluga Campo).

Mon: San Felipe to Tecate to SD.

I would like to keep this as close to 80/20 (60/40 min) dirt if possible.

I've been on a long hiatus from Baja (6 years) so if you guys/gals have routes or other destinations for a weekend trip, please discuss. I want to keep this fun, challenging and rewarding. I will be bring now what looks like both my brothers all on Dakars or modified F650GS singles (one is just for comedic relief and hopefully he doesn't die) and a few 1200GS's.

Goal is to have fun, have challenging rides (limited sand!) and enjoy all that Baja has to offer in a short time.

Plans will be fluid until approx two weeks out then we will post the solid plan and have bailouts for those who want to head north on any of the days.

Not sure if we will camp out the entire route or wing it w/dirtbag hotels.

Feel free to drop in for the duration or any portion.... more people to pick up my bike ;-)....or my brother.

I am 90% in and will confim as the dates get closer, This trip sounds good and Conzaga bay is a really a great place to have a beer and a cigar by the water. There is some mandatory sand between the highway 3 to San Felipe unless you asphalt that part and it's pretty brutal even impossible on the big bikes especially loaded unless you have done the Paris Dakar race. Some very experienced Baja guys can comment on this and you guys know who you are. I think that's the part they always use in the Baja1000 race. I will use my trusted and proven Baja DRZ .....camping maybe not I will probably get a hotel correction motel :-)) otherwise this should be a fun weekend.

Knobbies are mendatory in Baja

People to help you pickup your bike you will need a lot of them especially if you ride a R1200GS with street tire tires but the good news is labor is cheap in Baja :-)). Ken, Sondra are you listening :-))) does that bring memories :-))).

Route updated. Had to cut Gonzaga but after Mikes will be room to play. Couple of weeks out so feel free to hop in. Im just going for the cheap gas and food.

A group of my good friends are going down that weekend also...you'll probably see them somewhere along the way.

WIll push tracks when complete Sondra. Too bad you can't make it.

Busted radiator - on lobster run trail - can I patch a hole in the fins with JB weld? Someone, I won't name who (me) forgot stop leak.

JB weld on, chillin' in the sun waiting for it to cure.

If the Coyotes eat us you can find two Dakars 3mi s/w of Ponchos on the Tecate/Puerto Nuevo trail.

32 18.37N

116 51.41W

If we can't keep the temp down will start to tow, its a rocky 20miles to Tecate ;-)

Michael

Just saw this. Glad your repair held. A Mexican rock get you sideways? Lots of loose ones on the Lobster trail. I bet that trailside drama made your beer taste twice as good!