Dakarrider

centerstand

I think the answer is obvious, but since I’m a noob I prefer to ask you guys: My bike comes with sidestand only. If I’m in the need to fix a flat rear tire while doing a solo ride away from any help, is there any trick to do it without the centerstand?. I ride a BMW F650GS.

With questions like this, I always defer to the BEST person to answer the question:

The bike owner- centerstands make lots of maintenance things easier, but can drag when going around tight corners...they add a little weight

Help with napping in a parking spot

Do what seems right to you...

I think the answer is obvious, but since I’m a noob I prefer to ask you guys: My bike comes with sidestand only. If I’m in the need to fix a flat rear tire while doing a solo ride away from any help, is there any trick to do it without the centerstand?. I ride a BMW F650GS.

Basically, find some rocks, logs, whatever works and use them as cribbing to lever the bike up. (edited to add...you'll find a sweet spot in the balance where the rear wheel will be off the ground. You might have to put some weight on the front end though...rocks work good, so does a jacket or shirt filled with sand or dirt) Alternately...lay it on it's side. Or find some nice terrain that'll let you lift it ip.

Impromtu workstand....find a berm, center the bike over it, put rocks under bike until it's raised up.

100_1213-1.jpg

dirtdame is smarter than I am. She knows how to add pics.

Some of the guys swear by a little prop style stand that can be carried along and added to the side of the bike opposite of the stock kickstand. There's a thread on that somewhere on this forum. I think somebody from the club built one.

beerstand.jpg

Problem solved, always travel with an 18 pack.

Just my preference for an adventure touring bike like the GS, I like having the centerstand. Nice for loading, parking, fixing tires, lubing chain, sitting on bike at rest stop, etc.

now I know why most dirt bikers cary a 18 pack of beer with them,

beerstand.jpg

Problem solved, always travel with an 18 pack.

...thanks to each of you for the advice...prop stands, roots, stones, helmet, go for it, don't buy it, lay the bike on the side... I will do more research on the Prop stand, thanks for the links TrophyHunter. I sign up for the SD back country adventure next month so I'm sure that I will see some riders in action fixing a tire and drinking their beer stands!!!.