Driss

BMW of Escondido trip to Pirates Cove, Camalu. March 23,24,25. 2012

this was a three day trip organised by BMW of Escondido to Pirates Cove which is located in Camalu, Baja California. The first night stop was at Rancho Santa Veronica then the next day we took off via the Compadre trail to Ochos then asphalt to Vale T. then headed south to San Vicente on trails then asphalt on HWY 1 for 8 to 10 miles then trails south about 40 miles to Pirates cove on Ocean trails. overall this was an easy ride for the smaller bike the speed made some turns very scary but very challenging for the big bike's especially with some very novice riders on big BMW's and KTM that have never been to Baja before but no incident or major falls. we had 4 flats on Saturday but 0 on Friday and Sunday there was one broken KTM 950 adventure on Saturday which was fixed right before we were going to load it on the chase truck, it turned out his battery connection was loose but that kept him going for a very long time at speeds below 20MPH after the fix all was well besides the four flats which was all on tube bikes one DRZ not mine thank God one BMW 450X ridden By rick and two KTM's. The trip was very well organised like always by the BMW of Escondido Team, Mike the owner was also riding with us him and Earl the Sales Manager and rick's the parts Manager.

it was a great 3 day ride where everything was taking care off and managed by someone's else where all you had to worry about is ride and have fun, they were few cigar smokers on this trip and we all got to smoke a cigar after dinner looking at the ocean and talking about the day and our bikes.

Glad you guys had a great time Driss. I was so bummed I couldn't make the trip. BMW Escondido does a great job on these trips and the cost is really low considering everything they provide. Are you going to post some pics?

Guest Crusty

You were really close to some great surf spots, I want to ride with my wife and surfboard, makes the trip twice as fun.coolio.gif

Craig.

Ensenada003.jpg

Driss --glad everything went smooth--Did you encounter nasty weather Sunday? Unreal how I can be snow one weekend,warm temps, and then wind ,rain in a few days.

Pictures coming I taught I would see you there. You always make all of there rides, you really missed out on a great ride with very fun group of riders.

1332810687[/url]' post='125060']

Glad you guys had a great time Driss. I was so bummed I couldn't make the trip. BMW Escondido does a great job on these trips and the cost is really low considering everything they provide. Are you going to post some pics?

1332810987[/url]' post='125061']

Nice write-up any pics? :coolio:

Yes as soon as I have time to post them

1332822482[/url]' post='125071']

Driss --glad everything went smooth--Did you encounter nasty weather Sunday? Unreal how I can be snow one weekend,warm temps, and then wind ,rain in a few days.

Boy did we encounter bad weather.......Ken, about 10 miles before clearing Compadre trail to go to Rancho Santa Veronica to pick up our belongings it started misting by the time we got to the asphalt it started rainning by the time we left the gas station at the Tecate border it was pouring and I mean pouring my wife said do you want me to come and get you and I said honey just make sure the jacuzzi is hot because I will need one before heading to the emergency room. To comment on rain joking apart bikes do fine in the rain as long as you have the gear for it and I kind of did but not for that kind of rain. I should of been dressed in some very heavy duty rain gear especially doing 70mph all the way to my house on a DRZ. This neck/nose thing that BMW was selling in Europe but now available in the USA is really good not made for rain but it did keep the water and the element away from me one hour later it was soaking wet and the is only because I ride off road with an off-road helmet if I had a dual sport helmet I would of gotten home dry. The Klim gear is really good I was using the wind blocker instead of the jersey and it is not suppose to be water proof but I made it using a couple of waterproofing spray cans and it held up for the three to four hours of rain it endured. I like it because it extremely light and with the windbreaker base layer I was cooking inside when everyone had two or three layers of cloths then a motorcycle jacket and pant on the top. I did wear the thick base layer for the ride home as it was cold when we left pirates cove. The room we got in Santa Veronica did not have a working heater and we had to use the fire place with wood but when we did not keep getting up me and Diego to feed it so in the morning you just have to man up and get under the shower, it was freezing to say the the least.

I almost hit the ground few times because of speed and a lot paddles of water and mud everywhere You are in a turn at 50 or 60 mph and you find one of those in front you go straight you are screwed because you don't know how deep the water is or if they are any rocks in the middle. if you think you will have less fun of a big bike ride riding a smaller bike think again the faster we went me and some of the riders the more dangerous and exciting the ride was. But thank God no incident for anyone but a guy with a Yamaha TW200 that hit a chain link fence with his foot trying not to get wet the TW200 is not a typo biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif And I might add it was stock because I told Rick this bike has the smog canister on it. He rode home by the way and he had no broken bones they were like always all kinds of people on this ride including a doctor from camp Pendleton Navy hospital who said its not broken he just need to buy a bigger bike so he can get out mud puddles faster.

yes I do, I just need to get them from my GPS.

Nice trip and great pictures, do you have any GPS tracks?.

Driss you tell it like it is.No B S !

Looks like you guys had a good time. I did this ride with BMW Escondido last year. Not quite as much rain, but plenty of mud pits. Fun time for sure.

yes I do, I just need to get them from my GPS.

...great!!!, when you have a chance, please share.

That looks like a great trip! What was the story with that tire that had the knobbies chunked off??

DD

Guest Crusty

That looks like a great trip! What was the story with that tire that had the knobbies chunked off??

DD

My XR 680 did this to a tire, must be a Honda thing!!

9d54e575.jpg

DD

That was on Mike's bike. Too much right hand on the asphalt and the tire started to come apart.

BTW, that was a brand new MAXXIS Desert IT tire at the beginning of the ride.

1333124867[/url]' post='125273']
1333072919[/url]' post='125245']

DD

That was on Mike's bike. Too much right hand on the asphalt and the tire started to come apart.

BTW, that was a brand new MAXXIS Desert IT tire at the beginning of the ride.

BTW the bike is a race ready 450x that is owned and riden by Mike's the owner of BMW of Escondido, there are three factors i will add to the story he weighs probably 280lbs to 300lbs tire pressure was set very low 10 to 12 psi and doing 80mph on the asphalt.