X-country-Rider

Big Bike ride and camping trip May 5th and 6th

This ride is designed for any ADV bike capable of dirt road travel that's big enough to carry your camping gear. Think 1200GS's, 1150GS's, KTM 990's and 950's and Tiger 800 XC. That sort of thinng but if you can get your gear on and can ride dirt roads your probably good to go. You should probably have good tires that are designed to do both dirt and street. Tourances are probably a bit to street and not enough dirt.

San%2BDiego%2BBack%2BCountry%2BAdventure%2BSticker.png

The route winds through the back country from Ramona to Idyllwild taking the long way with plenty

of back dirt roads and with an over night camp out in the desert. You'll need to bring a dinner and breakfast to cook at the camp site.

It starts in Ramona with a meetup Saturday morning in Ramona at Packard's Coffee shop.

We will head out by getting on dirt from Ramona down Black Canyon Rd and then out Mesa Grande to Santa Ysabel and then up to Wynola

IMG_0187.JPG

From there its a right on Pine Hills Rd to Eagle Peak Rd to Boulder Creek and following the dirt twisties to Descanso.

IMGP1874-L.jpg

From there its out old hwy 80 to Pine Creek Rd up a single lane interesting paved rd to Mt Laguna.

38613841.jpg.

From Mt. Laguna its a left on paved twisties to Julian.

53321344.jpg

From Julian its down Banner Grade and out S-2 to camp in Butterfield Ranch

_DSE5276.JPG

IMG4289-L.jpg

Then its back out the S-2 to the 78 through Yaqui Pass to Grape Vine Canyon. We head up Grape Vine to Culp and then Jasper Truck Trail. This dirt section is a piece of cake for the enduro's but can be a little challenging for the big bikes do to the sandy sections.

IMG4358-L.jpg

IMG4361-L.jpg

We take a left on Montezuma Valley Rd to the 79 and then to Palomar Divide Truck trail.

SDC15386-L.jpg

From there its to Anza to refuel and head up Rouse Hill Rd (FR 5S15) along a dirt track all the way to the 74 near Hemet.

3436876154_1e41855873.jpg

From the 74 its up Bee Canyon and San Jacinto Ridge Truck Trail to Idyllwild.

Bee01.jpg

1686895.jpg

l.jpg

The DualSportmaps.com map of the ride.

How about leavings Packards, left on Magnolia to dirt on Black Canyon, turning right on Mesa Grande then right on 79 to Santa Ysabel. We did not ride this nice part of Mesa Grande last ride.

How about leavings Packards, left on Magnolia to dirt on Black Canyon, turning right on Mesa Grande then right on 79 to Santa Ysabel. We did not ride this nice part of Mesa Grande last ride.

Good point.

I am totally interested in this adventure. I live in Descanso so I would join in here.

Good point. Route edited!!

I am totally interested in this adventure. I live in Descanso so I would join in here.

I live in Pine Valley maybe we could head down to Ramona together? There might be several folks from Pine Valley joining in.

I am sure we can work something out. My brother in law Uncle Champ and my kid will prolly join in also.

Good point. Route edited!!

Wait! If the Santa Ysabel TT is open, why don't we head up to Pamo Road and take SY TT over to Black Canyon. We can ride Mesa Grande out to the 79 from there.

Wait! If the Santa Ysabel TT is open, why don't we head up to Pamo Road and take SY TT over to Black Canyon. We can ride Mesa Grande out to the 79 from there.

Thats a real interesting option. Maybe we could get a guy on a larger bike to scout it before the ride if they open the gate? It would be a great start from Ramona but only if its 1200GS doable. We don't want to scare folks right out of the gate. Better to slowly turn up the heat :skull:

It's definitely 1200GS-able, I've run that trail many times on the 1100 and it is no harder than the top end of Grapevine.

It's definitely 1200GS-able, I've run that trail many times on the 1100 and it is no harder than the top end of Grapevine.

Sweet!! We'll just have to keep watching to see if they'll open the gate. Is it USFS regulated?

Yes it is forestry regulated. Unless we get a freak rainstorm you can bet it will be open. I will check it right before the event.

Count me in unless something work related prevents me. Sounds like another fun trip.

Edit: Just remembered I'll be in TN for a concert that weekend, so I am now out. Bummer.

Sweet!! We'll just have to keep watching to see if they'll open the gate. Is it USFS regulated?

I'd be happy to run over there for you guys as the ride get's closer......it's a short ride from my house......

I think this short/FUN stretch is very worthwhile as Magnolia is pretty boring.......that said, I'd also say it's harder than anything you'll encounter on Grapevine and it can get a bit rutted at times......Definitely worthy of a check the week before you plan on heading out.....

I would NOT send any new riders across Santa Isabel TT on big heavy pigs with full gas tanks......I agree with X-Country - let them get a few miles under their belts first....

I'd check Bee Canyon beforehand as well. Was there a few times last year and found some VERY silty/powdery sections. Not fun on a small bike. Exponentially less fun on a 550 lb GS.

I'd check Bee Canyon beforehand as well. Was there a few times last year and found some VERY silty/powdery sections. Not fun on a small bike. Exponentially less fun on a 550 lb GS.

Maybe we can make it an option but worry that splitting up so early might not be a good idea unless we reform in Santa Ysabel.

Man, this looks like something i might be signing up for.

You can sign up over here

Socaldualsport.com is our new sign up spot that way we are not cross posting in various forums. One spot to point users to sign up. Of course rides are free and our rides are not affiliated with a club. Although many of us are active on this forum and over at advrider.

Idyllwild+National+Park+Style+Graphic.png

Ok everyone. 5 gallons of liquid goodness in the fermenter. Wife said she will probably drive my truck out, thus easing the whole transportation issue.

IMAG0049-L.jpg