simicrintz

XR650L Suspension Help

So, after a three year hiatus from the desert I finally head out to Ocotillo yesterday for a day trip. Nothing tough, bunch of family type stuff. I just put new shoes (D606's) front and rear, and after a couple quick spins around camp I'm ready to go. Riding down Commune on our way to Salton Sea and I decide to jump off the road and play in the whoops for a bit.

Doesn't take long to figure out the suspension is not even close to what I need, so I'm getting ready to come back to the road. I hit one last set of whoops and I know it ain't gonna go good. The bike sustained a broken clutch lever and some minor scratches, and I ended up with a pretty good gash on my arm (I'd post a pic but I don't know how without making it an attachment), a jammed right thumb/wrist and a couple cracked ribs. 35 years of riding without much incident (broken shoulder-clavicle-in Glamis years back, but nothing much else to speak of), so not real happy or feeling real good currently!

The suspension is way too soft (I was bottoming out in the whoops, and I'm only 182 pounds), and I have never adjusted suspension before, as this is my first dual sport bike (always on XR's prior, but always R's and set up fine as they were). Can I do this myself or is it best to take it somewhere, and where would you suggest? I'm in Escondido, so a local shop would be nice, but I can obviously travel. I saw this post and would like to support those on the page (although I'm not looking for a freebie, just to get this set up so I don't have to be a dirt dart again!).

Thanks all! 2.8 miles into the ride and I'm down. That needs to change, and I want to get back out there!

Give George a call, he will definitetly take the time to sit down with you and configure a setting that you will like.

I think I will do that. Gonna take an easy day today and then give the bike a good check for damage that I may have missed. I'll give George a call and see when he's available.

Thanks for the input on George, Goofy. Always nice to get a referral and recommendation from someone else who's used someone they're happy with.

Let me know what you find out.

I've set my sag, but never dug into the forks.

Also installed a lowering link and adjusted height of forks to match.

That is all you need to know right there.

I bought a 650r and was utterly gutted by the suspension, then George did the work I asked for, the first day out I was slow (and overly cautious). But since I have gotten everything dialed on the rest of the way, the bike is the beast is was meant to be.

Thanks everyone. This is the kind of info I was looking for, and I really had no idea where to turn.

Looks like I will be meeting Suspenders in my near future. I'm looking forward to it!

Wrap the ribs, don't be a tough guy(they will heel faster), no laughing-coughing or anything else with ing at the end.

Grinning and looking are OK.

You guys are great (especially for helping a noob on the page!). I've been on pages that aren't real helpful to noob's before, and I have to say that is not the case here.

No laughing, UC?! That's the majority of my day, so not sure how that's gonna work out for me! I'm a pretty happy guys by nature, so that's gonna be tough. I've already learned that coughing ain't real fun, and I haven't tried sneezing yet, but I'm a little concerned....

Looking forward to getting this handled with you George. Give me a little time to feel a little less beat up and I will make a time to come and see you.

Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated!!

My DRZ has been with a George for a week and will be done by the end of this week. First impression this guy is very professional and I will fill in later when I pick the bike on the work he's done. I heard about him from few trusted and can tell you that he's got a vey good reputation and that is why I gived him both bike to work on my son WR250 needed fork seals and dust seals replaced as well.

1326738909[/url]' post='119492']

You guys are great (especially for helping a noob on the page!). I've been on pages that aren't real helpful to noob's before, and I have to say that is not the case here.

No laughing, UC?! That's the majority of my day, so not sure how that's gonna work out for me! I'm a pretty happy guys by nature, so that's gonna be tough. I've already learned that coughing ain't real fun, and I haven't tried sneezing yet, but I'm a little concerned....

Looking forward to getting this handled with you George. Give me a little time to feel a little less beat up and I will make a time to come and see you.

Thanks again everyone! Much appreciated!!

I live in the south part of Escondido off of Via Rancho Parkway and if you need a ride back after you drop off your bike at George let me so we can arrange it as I will be driving down there to pick p my bikes up and can give you a lift back to your home. That's the least I can do for a fellow SDAR member , I hope you ribs are allowing you to laugh by now.

Thanks for the added recommendation of George, Driss, and the travel offer! Both are much appreciated!

I am over on the northeast side, kind of by Dixon Lake/Daley Ranch. I can split fuel with you if we can make that work.

Thanks again for the offer. Hopefully the timing will coincide with getting down there for both of us.

1326746053[/url]' post='119506']

Thanks for the added recommendation of George, Driss, and the travel offer! Both are much appreciated!

I am over on the northeast side, kind of by Dixon Lake/Daley Ranch. I can split fuel with you if we can make that work.

Thanks again for the offer. Hopefully the timing will coincide with getting down there for both of us.

I was offering to help you just because, not for anything else in exchange. I will do this for you without taking any gas money from you just speak to George and find out if you will be vailable at the time I am going to pick up my bikes by the way my trailer is there already as I left it with him.